Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use bark/mulch for patio area

Options
  • 08-04-2015 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Hi,

I was looking at ideas for revamping patio area. something not as in your face as concrete slabs (already a bit in the garden) and not as messy as gravel

i came across this idea Mulch Patio and was wondering what people thought of it? would it work in our climate? pros/cons?

i think it would like natural and nice when next to a grass lawn and if weeded/membrane laid and mulch spread properly, it should be little maintenance?

maybe a top up of fresh mulch/bark every year?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

I personally like the look of mulch. However there are some things to consider.

It takes longer to dry out than concrete or patio slabs. Potentially bringing a small bit of mess into house if there is a lot of foot traffic.

Do you have any cats or dogs? Dogs tend to dig at it and send stuff flying everything. Cats tend to sh1t in it.

The treated mulch smells terrible for the first few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭EpiphoneSpecial

hey peter,

no dogs/cats at the moment .. we are east facing so mulch only going in far back corner where the bit of sun gets in.
    it will mainly be a table and 3/4 chairs sitting on it... not much foot fall going through it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

My 2pence worth,
    It's not practical in our climate. In the link above it looks like California or somewhere where they don't get wind and wet weather like here.
    But if u do try it I'd love to hear how it worked out

rje66 wrote: »
    My 2pence worth,
    It's not practical in our climate. In the link above it looks like California or somewhere where they don't get wind and wet weather like here.
    But if u do try it I'd love to hear how it worked out

i thought that alright but then remembered a few playgrounds i've seen here have it and creches

a few providers state it can be used for this purpose too
    mulch.ie

howbertandmays.ie

quickcrop.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I laid a weed membrane in a bed and covered it with about an inch or so of mulch and low and behold theres weeds coming through it. I really cant understand how. they are actually growing through tiny gaps in it and some have pushed through it. i'll probably have to do it again and use a better quality membrane.

• Advertisement

I laid a weed membrane in a bed and covered it with about an inch or so of mulch and low and behold theres weeds coming through it. I really cant understand how. they are actually growing through tiny gaps in it and some have pushed through it. i'll probably have to do it again and use a better quality membrane.

was that with using weed killer on soil before putting membrane down?

was that with using weed killer on soil before putting membrane down?

nope i just dug it all around and flattened it. no one told me I needed to use weed killer. ah well I can start again.

nope i just dug it all around and flattened it. no one told me I needed to use weed killer. ah well I can start again.

did the bark dry out with the membrane under it?

well its been there from nov until now so it probably didn't dry out completely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I did it around raised beds and used a lot of coloured gravel on top. Two years later an absolute mess with weeds coming up through it and embedded in it, causing it to rip when you try to pull the weeds.
    Will all have to be replaced. Complete waste of time and an expensive one.

• Advertisement

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I did it around raised beds and used a lot of coloured gravel on top. Two years later an absolute mess with weeds coming up through it and embedded in it, causing it to rip when you try to pull the weeds.
    Will all have to be replaced. Complete waste of time and an expensive one.

did you do?

gravel
    bark
    membrane
    weed killer
    soil

why would you put bark under pebbles??
    I used this membrane that is more like cloth material but I have the one that's like a burlap sack or a potatoe sack, that's the one I would use from now on. don't go cheap on the membrane its not worth it. I too used it on a raised bed so to redo the whole area wont be a big deal.

I used this membrane that is more like cloth material but I have the one that's like a burlap sack or a potatoe sack, that's the one I would use from now on. don't go cheap on the membrane its not worth it. I too used it on a raised bed so to redo the whole area wont be a big deal.

got a link to the ones you recommend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

did you do?

gravel
    bark
    membrane
    weed killer
    soil

Sorry, meant membrane with gravel. No bark. I would imagine it would be a worse mess had I used bark as it will degrade/decay and allow more weed growth.
    Probably my biggest mistake was not to adequately kill the weeds, the scutch grass is now woven through the membrane. Will try to get a pic of it later.

Advertisement