Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NoNonsense Car Insurance Renewal Increase by 67%!!!

Options
  • 08-04-2015 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

My car insurance is with NoNonsense.ie (part of FBD). I have 3rd Party Only car insurance and last year my insurance cost €280. I received a renewal quotation for the same car for €468!!! This is a price increase of €188 or 67%.

My car is valued at €3k. I’m 34 years old male, living in Dublin, no claims, no penalty points and have had insurance in my own name for over 10 years.

Has anyone else had this sort of a price increase? How can they justify this level of price increase? It seems absurd to me to have to pay €468 insurance for 3rd Party Only cover on a car worth only €3k.

I rang the company and made a complaint and all I got was “sorry but our prices are increasing”. They could not provide any more information than this. I will no doubt be shopping around but I just think this is ridiculous and want to make people aware of it. I was very unhappy with the service I received and I would not recommend using NoNonsense based on this.

I would like to know what other people in similar situations are paying for their car insurance and with what companies?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,345 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I don't have a similar car situation to yours, but this happens all the time.

I've been with a particular insurer for a few years, and then one year my quote doubles, or worse.

I have no idea if their business model changes, and I'm no longer in their target market of customers, or if their actuarial number crunchers just have a complete brainstorm for no apparent reason. But one year I have a nice competitive insurance price, next year it's out of the ball park, when nothing at all has changed except that me and my car are both a year older.

The answer is - and you should be doing this every year, regardless - shop around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

AXA did the same to me. ~70% increase. No reason other than "prices are increasing". Just shopped around and got a cheaper quote than previous year with better cover from Aviva.

Shop around, you'll get a better quote.

To add, someone in the know in AXA later informed me that the risk brackets change all the time and that I was just unlucky that year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

My car insurance is with NoNonsense.ie (part of FBD). I have 3rd Party Only car insurance and last year my insurance cost €280. I received a renewal quotation for the same car for €468!!! This is a price increase of €188 or 67%.

My car is valued at €3k. I’m 34 years old male, living in Dublin, no claims, no penalty points and have had insurance in my own name for over 10 years.

Has anyone else had this sort of a price increase? How can they justify this level of price increase? It seems absurd to me to have to pay €468 insurance for 3rd Party Only cover on a car worth only €3k.

I rang the company and made a complaint and all I got was “sorry but our prices are increasing”. They could not provide any more information than this. I will no doubt be shopping around but I just think this is ridiculous and want to make people aware of it. I was very unhappy with the service I received and I would not recommend using NoNonsense based on this.

I would like to know what other people in similar situations are paying for their car insurance and with what companies?

Thanks

The value of your vehicle has no bearing on your quote for 3rd party insurance. As for being unhappy with the service, they are entitled to offer renewal at any price they want and you are entitled to walk away from it too.

As others have said, you'll probably find cheaper elsewhere, you just have to shop around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Fbd did the same to me. Ended up going with axa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

It's all a big game

If the renewal cost is €800 up from €400

You say you can get it for €380 from a broker including the brokers fee, like for like cover if not better, with the same excess.

They say, hmmm..... ok, let me see what we can do we can match that. Even if they don't rip the piss with the cost of renewal you can usually get about €20 saved.

• Advertisement
Advertisement