Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Rental

Options
  • 08-04-2015 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi

Im looking to rent in a car in Nashville and drop it off in New Orleans 12 days later. Quote is coming in at around 650(euro) including insurance plus free tank of gas. Would that sound about right ?

Also what cards do car companys take in the usa as i will be traveling with a visa debit and a an postfx mastercard. If i need to apply for a credit card i have 9 weeks before i go so hopefully will have time or can i get away with booking on one of them ?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

What type of car?

I think they'll only take credit card or they'll load up the debit with a big hold charge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭castlebarian

Also of anyone could recommended which are the best company's to use please advise.

What type of car?

I think they'll only take credit card or they'll load up the debit with a big hold charge

Jeep Grand Cherokee or Nissan alima are the two choices. They will prob hold a good lump of the travelling funds so if we were to book it on debit card if they did accept it ?

They would hardly accept the anpost fx mastercard as a credit card ?

Sounds like my best option is to contact my bank so ?

Thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yeah credit card is the best option

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭purplestar77

I've got a great price through alamo.co.uk/brits (even with the stg exchange rate). Come with all the necessary insurances and got an extra driver free

Thanks for the replys will check out them websites now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

(Do a search in this forum for Renting Cars.)

Get the Credit Card.

Or phone the Car rental office in Nashville and check that paying with a Debit Card in Tennessee is is okay. Different states have different rules.

Also will you be paying an out-of-state drop off fee? It is usual for a fee to be charged if you want to drop off a car in a different state to where you rented it. But again there's fifty different states with different rules so it can vary so best to check in advance, it can run to $100's.

Jeep Grand Cherokee or Nissan alima are the two choices.

How do you mean "the two choices"? Did you decide you wanted one of those two? A cherokee or an Altima?

Sounds like my best option is to contact my bank so ?

Yes. Get as high a limit as you can.

Pay off the balance every month and it doesnt cost too much really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

Just my two cents worth.

I have had terrible experiences with enterprise rent a car, but they are quite cheap.
    Avis where real good and I will use them again, not that much more expensive I find.

Agree with what was said above, buy your own sat nav, after a few years of renting in the usa myself the rental costs of sat navs do pile up. they are cheap enough and pay for themselves after a trip or two. I have never bothered with their fuel plans, I just filled up myself on the way back to the airport.

I have driven with the full insurance offered at the desk( the agent at the desk sweet talked me into it) and I have driven with the bare legal minimum, It's personal preference really and what you decide for yourself. Have never been to Nashville so cant comment on the drivers/ roads but if they are anything like Californian drivers, get insurance!

Have never been to Nashville so cant comment on the drivers/ roads but if they are anything like Californian drivers, get insurance!

I think California is one of the states with higher standards! After 20+ years in the USA I still cant get used to the awful driving.

In most states it takes about half an hour to get a license. They just dont care. Its not a big priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

In many cases you cannot rent a car on a debit card. Dollar rent a car specifically say that you can. Check, or order the credit card.
    Beware of using US based sites for prices, when you add the insurance it all adds up. The European websites of the major companies or the likes of Autoeurope.ie will give you an all inclusive price. These can be quite good if it isn't peak season, there are rates restricted to visitors with insurance that are better value than base rates + insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I dont suppose its possible to buy something and sell it off mad cheap at the end? if its anything like here, probably not possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

One thing I'd say is shop around. I've seen Hertz being overlooked based on price here. I've used them before when they were by far the cheapest of any in Orlando once you included proper insurance. Make sure you've got proper insurance especially in America. Some state minimums are very low and you can end up with a heft bill if you don't supplement the insurance.

cerastes wrote: »
    I dont suppose its possible to buy something and sell it off mad cheap at the end? if its anything like here, probably not possible.

Very difficult given regristration residency insurance etc. Hard to say exactly because all fifty States probably have different rules though.

Thanks for all the help got a quote back this one has " no hidden charges". 575 EURO FOR A SUV (13 days) all insurance and additional drivers . $300 drop off in another state fee plus tax and they will hold $350 deposit which will be returned . does this sound about right ?Going to book it up i think

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Fitzerb

All
    Take my advice and DON’T ever go near “ Enterprise Rent A Car” to hire a car. I booked and paid for a car for my 26 year old son who has a full licence and 8 years driving experience. I paid by credit card.
    On the morning he was due to collect the car I rang to make sure everything was in order. I was told that he could not collect the card unless he had a credit card of his own. He is attending University and naturally doesn’t have a credit card. No-where on the booking page on the internet did it state this before I booked. I then rang and asked when would the money I paid them be returned and was told I would have to ring their office in the USA as it had nothing to do with them. I rang the number they gave me in the US and they say it has nothing to do with them and they have given me another number. I am still trying to get an answer as to when I will receive my money back. They have no concept of customer service and they give the perception that tough luck we don’t really care as we have your money. Never again will I use them and take my advice you shouldn’t either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Fitzerb wrote: »
    All
    Take my advice and DON’T ever go near “ Enterprise Rent A Car” to hire a car. I booked and paid for a car for my 26 year old son who has a full licence and 8 years driving experience. I paid by credit card.
    On the morning he was due to collect the car I rang to make sure everything was in order. I was told that he could not collect the card unless he had a credit card of his own. He is attending University and naturally doesn’t have a credit card. No-where on the booking page on the internet did it state this before I booked.

https://enterprise.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5603/session/L3RpbWUvMTQzMDg2MDQyMi9zaWQvODlFeVBCbG0%3D

It's there - and is normal in the US
    Credit Cards: At the time of rental, a credit card must be presented with available credit, in the renter's name. In addition to cost of the rental, an additional amount my be required. The signature on the back must match the name imprinted on the card and the signature on the rental agreement. In addition, if the renter reserved online, the name printed on the card presented by renter must match the name booked for the online transaction and identification presented.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yep. Standard rental procedure there. The credit card holder must be one of the people on the reservation, who will be driving the car.

Enterprise do state their credit card policy. It is on the second page of the booking process, which says Verify your information and book your rental at the top of the page.

If you look to the left of the details of the rental itself, (car type, price etc,) you'll see Important Information About Your Rental. It says there, that the renter must present a valid credit card in his/her name.

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Yep. Standard rental procedure there. The credit card holder must be one of the people on the reservation, who will be driving the car.

and with Ireland as well
    Airport locations do not accept debit cards. All renters must pay a deposit of 250 EUROS using a major credit card which is in their own name and if the rental has not been prepaid, the estimated full rental charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Fitzerb

It's not on the Irish /GB site. The manager told me that they are planning to update the site. Also told me the day before collection that all my son needed was his driving lic and passport. Apart from that and since you seem to know a lot about Enterprise car rental perhaps you could tell me why they have still not refunded my money

It's not on the Irish /GB site. The manager told me that they are planning to update the site. Also told me the day before collection that all my son needed was his driving lic and passport. Apart from that and since you seem to know a lot about Enterprise car rental perhaps you could tell me why they have still not refunded my money

because they're jerks. Just put something on their FB about it (https://www.facebook.com/enterpriserentacar?fref=ts)and it'll soon be sorted - you could also issue a charge back on your credit card

As to your other point..
    ....most sites don't say it because it's implied and standard practice. Whenever you go to rent a car or go to a hotel in the US, the first thing they ask you for is your credit card and ID. Most people here have Credit cards or are on their parents credit cards (i.e. secondary holders). He would have had the same result at any of the car rental places.

They do this to cut down on fraud, even if you had them on the phone etc, he could have just given the car rental a friends number to say it was OK to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Not sure what you mean by the Irish/GB site, but if you Google Enterprise Rent A Car Ireland, the very first search result takes you to the homepage of the Irish Enterprise website here: http://www.enterprise.ie/car_rental/home.do

As it is the Irish site, Ireland is pre selected for you as the country of car rental. If you change that to the US and follow the booking process along, you are taken to the same Verify Your Information and Confirm Your Booking, mentioned before. This is the page that shows their credit card policy info. Are you using a different Enterprise website?

Advertisement