Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some advice please

• 08-04-2015 11:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Was looking for a bit of advice. Few years short of 40 and looking to lose some fat and add some muscle.
    Have done some weights over the years but I'm no expert.

I have a young family and a full time job that involves some travel so time is quite limited
    Play soccer once a week. Can get to the gym twice a week usually but that might be all i can manage gym wise
    Can fit another cardio session or two in there (outdoors when travelling) if needed
    In terms of home equipment all I have is resistance bands.

So my thinking is to try a 6 week push where I cut out alcohol and try to really watch my diet and see how I go
    Looking into getting a whey protein supplement as well

So basically any advice would be helpful re diet, supplements, how to focus weight sessions etc
    If there are any guides to this kind of thing would appreciate a link

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

What is your diet like?

As for whey, you may not need it, depending on your diet but I would reckon you can meet your protein needs from food in the first instance.

In terms of cardio, you could try some interval running. An example would be jogging for 1 minute, running hard (~70%) for 1 minute and repeating for 20 minutes. You can vary the duration of the rest/light jog and the running as needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

What is your diet like?

As for whey, you may not need it, depending on your diet but I would reckon you can meet your protein needs from food in the first instance.

In terms of cardio, you could try some interval running. An example would be jogging for 1 minute, running hard (~70%) for 1 minute and repeating for 20 minutes. You can vary the duration of the rest/light jog and the running as needed.

Diet is ok but needs to improve. Generally would eat a good bit of pasta, rice dishes but too much sauce in there I would think.

Lunches are a bit hit and miss too. Would the focus be on things like brown rice and chicken ?

There is a park nearby which has an interval training system on it marked by wooden posts with different colours (difficulty) and numbers (speed) so that could work.

Would you recommend any particular weight exercises in the gym that I definitely should be doing ?

thanks for the reply

Put up a typical day's food and it will be easier to advice. There aren't really specific foods you need to focus on. You should be able to eat foods you like but just remove some of the less useful food.

Compounds (eg squat, bench, deadlift) are usually a good start at the gym but you'd want to be sure on the form. If you're not, have a trainer from your gym have a look at them for you

Put up a typical day's food and it will be easier to advice. There aren't really specific foods you need to focus on. You should be able to eat foods you like but just remove some of the less useful food.

Compounds (eg squat, bench, deadlift) are usually a good start at the gym but you'd want to be sure on the form. If you're not, have a trainer from your gym have a look at them for you

Ok so attempt at a typical day:

Breakfast
    3 weetabix

Mid morning
    Apple

Lunch
    Ham Sandwich

Snack
    Yoghurt/ Dried fruit at my desk

Dinners
    Spaghetti bolognaise/ Chicken pasta/ Roast dinner with chicken potatoes etc/ Baked fish with salad

Snack
    Yoghurt

Occasionally a glass of wine and a bit of chocolate thrown in
    If I'm feeling hungry I might have a bowl of corn flakes at some point

Fairly carb heavy by the looks of it. Not that there's anything wrong with carbs, per se but they seem to make up a large proportion of your carb/protein/fat breakdown. Without knowing quantities it's hard to know how much but there's scope for subbing in some higher protein options instead of what's there.

Eg. scrambled or pached eggs instead of weetabix. Could be roughly the same in terms of calories but you're much less likely to be snacking between then and lunch.

• Advertisement

Fairly carb heavy by the looks of it. Not that there's anything wrong with carbs, per se but they seem to make up a large proportion of your carb/protein/fat breakdown. Without knowing quantities it's hard to know how much but there's scope for subbing in some higher protein options instead of what's there.

Eg. scrambled or pached eggs instead of weetabix. Could be roughly the same in terms of calories but you're much less likely to be snacking between then and lunch.

Might be an option on some days of the week as time will allow.
    Would brown rice, chicken, veg be better as a lunch option or is that overkill ?

alxmorgan wrote: »
    Might be an option on some days of the week as time will allow.
    Would brown rice, chicken, veg be better as a lunch option or is that overkill ?

Scrambled eggs takes about 3 mins from start to finish.

Brown rice + chicken + veg instead of a ham sandwich?

Calories will determine weight loss but the composition of what you eat will determine body composition.

If you replace your ham sandwich with all that you're adding calories that you'll have to drop elsewhere.

MyFitnessPal. Enter what and how much you eat into that and it will give you calories and the breakdown of carbs/protein/fat. Then you can look at what might work for you.

Scrambled eggs takes about 3 mins from start to finish.

Brown rice + chicken + veg instead of a ham sandwich?

Calories will determine weight loss but the composition of what you eat will determine body composition.

If you replace your ham sandwich with all that you're adding calories that you'll have to drop elsewhere.

MyFitnessPal. Enter what and how much you eat into that and it will give you calories and the breakdown of carbs/protein/fat. Then you can look at what might work for you.

Great...thanks for the help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

Im not a fan of brown rice so just use white rice, there is F all nutritional difference between them other than brown has more fibre which if your eating plenty of veg with your diet then your not really losing out.I Used stronglifts 5x5 when I was in same position as you and it was great. Id recommend it to everyone starting out.

idnkph wrote: »
    Im not a fan of brown rice so just use white rice, there is F all nutritional difference between them other than brown has more fibre which if your eating plenty of veg with your diet then your not really losing out. I always go ass to floor too BTW. Used stronglifts 5x5 when I was in same position as you and it was great. Id recommend it to everyone starting out.

Sorry but newbie here....can you clarify on these ?

• Advertisement

Sorry I got confused as I read another thread about squats. Just edited it there

stronglifts 5x5 is a routine I used to start building strengt and gaining form. The weights go up fairly quickly. I added in some bicep curls and tricep work on alternate days at the end of the routine as I felt they werent getting hammered enough but that soon stopped when the weights got heavier

stronglifts 5x5 is a routine I used to start building strengt and gaining form. The weights go up fairly quickly. I added in some bicep curls and tricep work on alternate days at the end of the routine as I felt they werent getting hammered enough but that soon stopped when the weights got heavier

Looked it up. Very interesting. If I can only make 2 gym session a week would you still recommend it or go a different way ?

Looked it up. Very interesting. If I can only make 2 gym session a week would you still recommend it or go a different way ?

its much better to try get the 3 times but IMO even going twice is much better than not going at all. But if your only getting twice then maybe try another longer workout? Maybe some of the lads/lassies could point you in the right direction. But if you get a good low carb/high protien diet going your half way there. The more muscle you build the easier it is to burn the fat off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

its much better to try get the 3 times but IMO even going twice is much better than not going at all. But if your only getting twice then maybe try another longer workout? Maybe some of the lads/lassies could point you in the right direction. But if you get a good low carb/high protien diet going your half way there. The more muscle you build the easier it is to burn the fat off.

Why go low carb?

Also I'd be dubious about the more muscle causing a significant increase in BMR. Isn't it a very insignificant amount overall? Regardless do get to the gym when you can. Doing any kind of activity is better than sitting in front of the tv every evening! And you could grow to love it too. Happened to me.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Why go low carb?

Also I'd be dubious about the more muscle causing a significant increase in BMR. Isn't it a very insignificant amount overall? Regardless do get to the gym when you can. Doing any kind of activity is better than sitting in front of the tv every evening! And you could grow to love it too. Happened to me.

Im just going by my experience. this worked well for me twice. First when I started out at looking after myself then again after an accident that kept me out of the gym for best part of 2 years.
    I cut down the carbs alot then started introducing them after 6-8 weeks. Muscle needs energy to repair and if your diet is right the more muscle you gain this in turn will burn the fat quicker.
    Second time around I did F-all cardio. Was mostly weights for 3 months and this is when I had most hugely significant drop in Fat and gains in muscle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Muscle needs energy to repair and if your diet is right the more muscle you gain this in turn will burn the fat quicker.

but the extra energy burned by a few kilos of muscle is tiny. Not enough to make a difference.
    It's not the real benefit to strength training.

Mellor wrote: »
    but the extra energy burned by a few kilos of muscle is tiny. Not enough to make a difference.
    It's not the real benefit to strength training.

the OP is looking to lose some fat and gain a bit of muscle, This is how I did it. It was of great benefit to me. He asked for advice and I gave my 2 pence worth as it seemed like a fairly similar situation I was in.
    If you think its tiny then great we are all entitled to our opinions and I respect it. Im not the type to nitpick through other peoples opinions.
    OP twice a week in the gym is better than no time in the gym. Get the diet right and some weights and you will be surprised at how quick you will see a difference in yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

the OP is looking to lose some fat and gain a bit of muscle, This is how I did it. It was of great benefit to me. He asked for advice and I gave my 2 pence worth as it seemed like a fairly similar situation I was in.
    If you think its tiny then great we are all entitled to our opinions and I respect it. Im not the type to nitpick through other peoples opinions.
    OP twice a week in the gym is better than no time in the gym. Get the diet right and some weights and you will be surprised at how quick you will see a difference in yourself.
    Improving his diet and lifting weight is a great way to lose fat and build muscle. I never said that was wrong. That's how I approach it.
    But your explanation of how it works/benefits is wrong. The better the OP understands his diet and training, the better his results will be.

Lifting weights doesn't benefit you by burning extra cals at rest. That extra energy is small, and its mostly cancelled out by diet.
    The reason for doing weights is because actually lifting heavy objects burns energy. Far more than energy at rest. This energy burned in the gym, plus a calorie deficit reduces fat.
    Often you aren't building much muscle on a deficit, but strength increases and being a leaner overall can give that improved muscular appearance.

Thanks for all the replies guys.
    So today is day one.
    Improved diet here I come and did my first 5x5 session this morning in the gym. Went fine but having never squated before I can feel it in my legs already !!

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies guys.
    So today is day one.
    Improved diet here I come and did my first 5x5 session this morning in the gym. Went fine but having never squated before I can feel it in my legs already !!

Make sure you have your form right. Watch videos on youtube and maybe ask a trainer at the gym to watch you to make sure your doing it right. Best of luck with the training and keep us posted on how you are getting on.
    Try taking your measurements of your body. Maybe get the mrs to help and then do this every 3/4 weeks and keep a note of it. Its hard to see the gains and losses but the measurements will keep you assured that your going in the right direction. Also set a goal for yourself to reach and when you achieve that set another one.
    Hope the bug bites you the way it has me and you enjoy getting wrecked in the gym but feeling amazing after it.

Advertisement