Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modems.

Options
  • 08-04-2015 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi all. Hope everyone had a good Easter. Just a quick question. I have a couple of hardly used vodafone modems (I think they are T2) question is.
    Is it easy to reprogram them to make them open for any network. Seems such a shame to just throw them in bin.
    Cheers all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

They are probably modem/routers, without know the exact model number its hard to say, if they are modem/routers they there should work on any existing ADSL connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Bluealligator

Dont know why but my reply didnt post earlier so try again. Yup I know exactly what they are Davo but I dont want to just discard them. The will not work on any ADSL at the moment as they are currently programmed to Vodafone so I want to find out how to reprogram them, I can then give them to anyone who needs them to use their own broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

If they're the white Huawei ones, you log in using "advanced" as both username and password. Then you'll be able to change the ADSL settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Are they adsl2+? Really need the model number here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

They may not be any use to most people. The trouble with wireless devices is that they get outdated pretty quick. Some of the older ones would be wireless "B" or "G", later we had wireless "N", while the devices shipping today have the latest wireless "AC" and are dual band as our bandwidth needs have exploded. Every house now had multiple devices trying to upload large images and trying stream HD videos simultaneously. There is also newer VDSL fibre to the cabinet technology which the older modems will not support.

• Advertisement

Yes they are the white ones Maki and I will try that, Mass they are less than 12 months old and we are using one in shop at the moment so not outdated yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Again, they WILL work on any ADSL connection, just log onto the admin page and change the username/password and maybe the VPI/VCI (depending on the ISP settings)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The firmware on modem vodafone units (HG658) makes changing PPPoE details more painful than it has to be, but can be done.

I had an idea that was the case Ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Grab a copy of the o2 Business DSL firmware and you'll be able to play with them a bit more.

Its an ok unit, but nothing to write home about.

• Advertisement

Cheers Ed, I know they are not special but they might do someone a good turn if they need one hence the idea to free them up.

Advertisement