Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storing spare bare root hedging?

• 08-04-2015 1:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭

We planted some bare root copper beech hedge over the weekend. We had nearly 200m to plant, so we bought 23 bundles, and spaced them roughly 1ft apart. We have two complete bundles of 25 each left. I currently have them buried in some gravel/sand in the shaded side of the house.
    I'd like to keep at least some of them in the inevitable event that some of the currently planted beech fails. Anyone got any advice on what to do?
    Alternatively I could intersperse the log of them between the existing hedge.
    Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

We planted some bare root copper beech hedge over the weekend. We had nearly 200m to plant, so we bought 23 bundles, and spaced them roughly 1ft apart. We have two complete bundles of 25 each left. I currently have them buried in some gravel/sand in the shaded side of the house.
    I'd like to keep at least some of them in the inevitable event that some of the currently planted beech fails. Anyone got any advice on what to do?
    Alternatively I could intersperse the log of them between the existing hedge.
    Any advice appreciated.

Sorry can't advise on how best to store your spare bareroots, but do you mind me asking how you planted your 200m. Did you use a mini digger or spade "slotting method". We have a similar length to plant.

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Sorry can't advise on how best to store your spare bareroots, but do you mind me asking how you planted your 200m. Did you use a mini digger or spade "slotting method". We have a similar length to plant.

Thanks for your help.

We ended up digging out individual holes with spades. There was 4 of us, and it took 2 1/2 days over the weekend. A trench would likely have been quicker with a mini-digger, but I didn't want to risk damaging the lawn. And when the weather was fine, it was a good excuse to stay out as long as possible :-)
    We worked in pairs of two, with one person digging/breaking up the sod, and the other planting and back-filling as we went.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

easiest option is with a t-cut - drive the spade into the ground vertically, and pull it back out. then drive it in again perpendicular to the cut you've made, as if to make the shape of a T; lever the spade back and it will open up the first cut allowing you to place the roots into it - as you lower the soil back again, it'll close up on the roots and pull the tree back in with it.

Advertisement