Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving from Celbridge to Maynooth for train

Options
  • 08-04-2015 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

We were (still are) hoping to buy a house in Maynooth but the shortage of family homes is making this less likely so we're trying to look at other areas. Celbridge is somewhere we would consider but it's not the ideal commute to town for my OH. Is it feasible to drive back to Maynooth or Leixlip to get the train there? Is the train full by the time it hits leixlip? Is there parking at the stations or nearby, is it pay and display or free etc.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Hi yellow hen,

When I work in the City Center I drive to Leixlip Louisa Bridge and use the big car park across the road.
    I think parking costs €3 for the full day and the train is not too busy by then.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Hi Yellow Hen,

my wife gets the train from Louisa Bridge and uses the car park, I think you can buy a weekly ticket(Park by Text) on line and it's 8 euro.
    The 67x is also a good service would have you in town in about 40 mins.Not too sure about coming home and where would be the best place to get it from.

Supposedly next year the link between Heuston and Connolly will open and that could suit commute wise, although it's wait and see for that project!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Train from hazelhatch to hueston and luas?

Not full by leixlip. Parking there. Pay n display don't know details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

I live in Celbridge and use to work in town [Amiens St & Fairview]

What part of town is your OH going to ?
    I would rate the trip options as
      1. Train from Louisa Bridge [still a chance of a seat and better parking then Maynooth]
      2. The 123 or 120 Bus Eireann From Celbridge and down the Quay's to Busáras
      3. The 66 Dublin bus service
      4. Finally the 67 Dublin bus service and train from the hatch.When i used it i found them unreliable and the Bus was dreadful to get coming home as a lot of people from Lucan got on and filled the bus as it would be half empty after Lucan and there was not as many buses serving Celbridge as there was Lucan/Leixlip

Things could have changed as that was 10 years ago

1. Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Stealthirl wrote: »
      I live in Celbridge and use to work in town [Amiens St & Fairview]

What part of town is your OH going to ?
      I would rate the trip options as
        1. Train from Louisa Bridge [still a chance of a seat and better parking then Maynooth]
        2. The 123 or 120 Bus Eireann From Celbridge and down the Quay's to Busáras
        3. The 66 Dublin bus service
        4. Finally the 67 Dublin bus service and train from the hatch.When i used it i found them unreliable and the Bus was dreadful to get coming home as a lot of people from Lucan got on and filled the bus as it would be half empty after Lucan and there was not as many buses serving Celbridge as there was Lucan/Leixlip

Things could have changed as that was 10 years ago

On point 4 the 67x is a vastly improved service from the normal 67, it bypasses Lucan Village and Chapelizod, heading in on the motorway/Dual carriageway as far as Heuston.
        I used to get on at Baggot St coming home at 4:30 but this bus came from UCD and would be full byu Westmoreland St.
        I think there are buses that start from Westmoreland St. coming home, you also have the option of Aghards Road or Main St depending on what time you'll be leaving/returning.

1. Advertisement
      2. Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Yeah I live in Celbridge and the 67x is by far the best bet for commuting to town. There's now two routes through the town and if you live on the Dublin side of the bridge you can get either, effectively doubling the service.

I'd have the Hazelhatch train over the Maynooth line as well as the trains are nicer, there's seats and the journey itself is far quicker (20mins v 45mins), allowing you to time to either use the Luas or bus to get to your destination when you reach Heuston and still be in quicker.

Again if you're right up the Maynooth end of Celbridge it might be a bit of a different proposition but if you're leaving early (<8am) you can reach the Hatch from anywhere in Celbridge in 5-10 mins.

3. Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

2ndcoming wrote: »

I'd have the Hazelhatch train over the Maynooth line as well as the trains are nicer, there's seats and the journey itself is far quicker (20mins v 45mins), allowing you to time to either use the Luas or bus to get to your destination when you reach Heuston and still be in quicker.

Hopefully the link under the Phoenix park will open next year, really make things a lot handier, especially if it goes down to the Docklands station

4. Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

yellow hen wrote: »
        We were (still are) hoping to buy a house in Maynooth but the shortage of family homes is making this less likely so we're trying to look at other areas. Celbridge is somewhere we would consider but it's not the ideal commute to town for my OH. Is it feasible to drive back to Maynooth or Leixlip to get the train there? Is the train full by the time it hits leixlip? Is there parking at the stations or nearby, is it pay and display or free etc.?

It depends on a couple of things....where abouts in Celbridge are you looking to buy?

Most of Celbridge is reasonably well covered by Dublin bus (but the Clane road is only really covered for a couple of 67xs...otherwise its a decent walk).

If you have to drive through celbridge village to get to HHatch or Louisa bridge train station you could be stuck in traffic (although its a lot better than it used to be).

Driving to maynooth may mean you don't get parking (theres not a lot of parking in the station there and its usually full).

Getting the train from HHatch is a good service, but as pointed out it only goes to heuston. You then have to fight the rest of the heuston commuters to get a space on the luas or another bus (but don't forget the bus stop at the side of the station...loads of buses go that way and you will get on without too much trouble -but no seats).

timewise its as quick to get the 67x as the train (and depending on where you are going maybe even quicker). Plus there are quite a few 67xs in the morning & evening. They can be a little unreliable too though.

coming home the 67x can be full quite quickly so it would depend on where your OH is working in town as to whether you can get to it at an early stop or not.

theres also the bus eireann services...although not quite as frequent and a little more expensive. Never really got these so I cant really comment on them.

in terms of parking fees for the train stations...I believe the parking fees are 30 eurs for 30 days or 8 eur a day.

For HHatch there is a feeder bus that brings people up to the station....but its not for every train so you need to be careful.

5. Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Thanks for all the replies. Maynooth is still our place of choice do we'll keep looking there. Celbridge is an ok second. No idea on whereabouts yet as we haven't actually gone to view houses yet. Still trying to scope out the feasibility of the area. We're trying to keep commute times to a minimum. Husband works in drumcondra which is why the maynooth rail line suits us.getting from Heuston to drumcondra and back everyday would be just a headache.

6. Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Best of luck with the search, take a walk around Castletown House the next time you're out this direction, a really nice place and great to have on your doorstep, whether it's Maynooth or Celbridge you decide on.
        Our kids love it there.

7. Advertisement
      8. Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Because most of you seem familiar with celbridge, what estates would you recommend? We were ideally looking for something mature but open to newer (small) developments

9. Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Because most of you seem familiar with celbridge, what estates would you recommend? We were ideally looking for something mature but open to newer (small) developments

I'm living In Oldtown Mill the last 10 years, a nice estate, perfectly happy here.
        The first phase seem to have the nicest houses if you were looking(we're in the 2nd phase, Built 04/05)
        The estate has two creches/montessori and very close to two primary schools,
        Scoil na Mainistreach (All boys) and Scoil Mochua/Aghards(mixed).
        It's a big estate but has plenty of green space

10. Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Well what are you looking for? do you have kids/ planning on some soon?

Also have you looked at Leixlip either (seeing as its on the same train line as maynooth)- or kilcock?

11. Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Sorry for the delay in replying to this thread. Given that I'm going off the original thread title, I'm going to start a new thread with specific questions. Would be delighted to get the knowledge and wisdom of those who live in the area.

Advertisement