Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Provence Portable Gas Heater vs. Storage Heating

• 08-04-2015 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi all,

Apologies if this post is in the wrong place please advise if I'm mistaken placing it here. I'm just looking for some advice regarding heating in an apartment I'm renting. Currently we're using the storage heaters provided in our apartment coupled with the fan heater to top up the heat when needed.

I know things will heat up from now on for the summer but I'm looking at alternative options for cold nights as well as the winter later this year due to the obvious costs associated with the storage heating.

I've done a lot of reading up on portable gas heaters and the benefits/disadvantages associated with them. The space we'd be heating with it is a large well ventilated kitchen/living room area. In particular I was looking at the Calor Provence gas heater which does look fairly nice (also goes with the fact that we don't have a chimney so would have to go flue-less).

So I guess my quest for advice is twofold:
    1. Would it be beneficial (finance-wise) to invest in one of these heaters over always using the storage heating?
    2. Does anyone have any experience with portable flue-less gas heaters that they could share/advise?

Any help/advice is appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

I don't have the advice you want, but just in case, I feel I must advise you that flueless gas heaters need a lot of ventilation that must be adhered to. I have seen them in places with no proper ventilation. The only thing saving the occupants was the old houses, that leaked ventilation (draughts). Modern houses are well sealed, so the ventilation requirements must be adhered to.
    To most people this seems counter productive; letting out the heat. But it must be done.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

maconof wrote: »
    In particular I was looking at the Calor Provence gas heater which does look fairly nice (also goes with the fact that we don't have a chimney so would have to go flue-less).

So I guess my quest for advice is twofold:
    1. Would it be beneficial (finance-wise) to invest in one of these heaters over always using the storage heating?
    2. Does anyone have any experience with portable flue-less gas heaters that they could share/advise?

Any help/advice is appreciated!

As per wearb as far as ventilation but I would also add that regular service are a must for these heaters they can become lethal very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭maconof

Thanks for the advice Wearb & Billy Bunting. When it comes to ventilation in the apartment there's a circular vent open all the time which does provide plenty of fresh air, would this be considered enough in your opinion if it was twinned with airing out the room once a day using the windows?

I think at most we'd be using the heater for 1 hour at a time because the room does seem to retain heat once it has been heated. Also, in all those you've seen would you say this kind of heater is worthwhile or a waste of money?

From all I've read I'll definitely be getting it serviced on a regular basis if I choose to buy one.

I don't know much about any gas heaters. Both electric and gas are expensive ways to heat. I know that you don't have a choice.

Airing the room when the gas is off- while a good idea- does not sort out the combustion air needed. The vent is probably not big enough. Find out the ventilation requirements for any considered purchase and compare it to the size of your existing vent.

I am not sure, but you may find electric to be the best option; the best of a bad lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭maconof

Yeah that's the dilemma, I know that the cost of the gas heater would be a lot less due to not having the storage heaters on all night etc. But, if it comes with a whole host of other problems it might not be that cost effective!

I know most are fitted with oxygen depletion systems now so it's gonna be a matter of checking out the ventilation requirements as you say. I've read many success stories about people who find them fantastic that's what brought me down the track in the first place.

• Advertisement

See if you can find the PDF online or contact manufacturers and ask them to email it to you. All the info should be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,809 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Maybe also check that gas heaters are permitted in the building. Generally speaking, gas heaters are not permitted in apartment blocks because of fire safety concerns.

Advertisement