Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multidiciplinary Assessment Services

Options
  • 08-04-2015 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hello!

Over the past 15 months we have been looking to have our LO assessed through the HSE services as we were led to believe that they were the best to go through. We have been through the Early Intervention Forum and also looked to expedite thorugh the relevent services and channels. We recieved another letter today to say we are still in the system but it'll be another 6 months before they get to us. This was on the back of a letter 4 months ago to say LO would be assessed within 3 months and was being expedited.

Has anyone tried private assessments? If so any reccomendations out there or Pro's & cons.

We were referred through the PHN originally and have been through S&L therapy, hearing tests, feeding assessments etc. LO is classed as a "Late Talker" at present but according to those who have seen him in those capacities he has some markers. Cannot sit back any wait any longer so anything is better than nothing at this stage.

Info on anything outside the HSE route is hard to come by. Would appreciate advice from anyone who has looked at an alternative route.

Thanks!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

What age is he? We went straight to Prof Fitzgerald who gave us a diagnosis which entitled us to home tuition. If you son is over 2.5 years then go for the private assessment asap to get the home tuition ball rolling. Where are you in the country? I think that influences your options for local multidisciplinary assessments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Redial

Thanks for the swift response Cara. Will be 3 in the summer so over the 2.5 year mark. We're in the South. In terms of a diagnosis we're willing to travel to where ever it takes at this point to get the ball moved along further. Any info on Prof Fitzgerald appreciated. I've seen CATTS been mentioned on other threads here. Are they another decent option?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

I know he has a clinic in Cork from time to time so it might be worth checking that out if it suits better than Dublin. I'm not based in the south so I don't know anything about CATTS. I've heard Shine in Cork are very, very helpful.... I also believe that Dr Rita Honan (TCD and Private practice) can organise a full multidisciplinary but that's its a bit expensive... She is Dublin based as far as I know and highly respected and qualified. IMHO if you have the money to access this kind of service then do it.

Advertisement