Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surprise D1000 gateway

Options
  • 08-04-2015 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭

Just got home to find an unexpected D1000 modem delivered from eircom today, we already have a P-660HW-T1 v3. Basically just wondering why this arrived? As far as I can tell there's no real difference between the two, though I have heard that the D1000 can be a lot more temperamental. Unless there's a better DSL transceiver or processor I can't see any advantage in using it.

We were in an e-mobile shop the other day and lamented to the salesperson that we didn't have eFibre capabilities on our line, could this have something to do with it?

I'll send a PM with our details.

Thank you!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

TheChizler wrote: »
    Just got home to find an unexpected D1000 modem delivered from eircom today, we already have a P-660HW-T1 v3. Basically just wondering why this arrived? As far as I can tell there's no real difference between the two, though I have heard that the D1000 can be a lot more temperamental. Unless there's a better DSL transceiver or processor I can't see any advantage in using it.

We were in an e-mobile shop the other day and lamented to the salesperson that we didn't have eFibre capabilities on our line, could this have something to do with it?

I'll send a PM with our details.

Thank you!
    The TheChizler

If you would like to PM me your eircom account number I will look in to this further

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Hi Alan, I sent it to Eircom: Reps last night but I have forwarded it to you now. Cheers.

Hi Alan, I sent it to Eircom: Reps last night but I have forwarded it to you now. Cheers.
    Thanks TheChizler

I have just spoke to your mother about this,

You got that new modem for free as the existing account was recently bundled with a new Emobile account (meaning everything will now be on one bill) - this entitles you to the most recent modem upgrade.

Thanks
    Al

Cheers Al, thanks for looking into that for me. She just handed me the box when I called in and asked 'what's that?'! Do you know if the box is superior WRT the DSL connection?

Cheers Al, thanks for looking into that for me. She just handed me the box when I called in and asked 'what's that?'! Do you know if the box is superior WRT the DSL connection?

Hi TheChizler,

Some slight differences,

It has Improved wireless performance, Fare more network setup options but DSL same belonging to ADSL 2+ standards

Also Manuals with all specs for both can be downloaded on www.broadbandsupport.eircom.net/download

Sure give it a try and if you don't think you like it replace it with the older one :)

Cheers
    Al

• Advertisement

Hi TheChizler,

Some slight differences,

It has Improved wireless performance, Fare more network setup options but DSL same belonging to ADSL 2+ standards

Also Manuals with all specs for both can be downloaded on www.broadbandsupport.eircom.net/download

Sure give it a try and if you don't think you like it replace it with the older one :)

Cheers
    Al
    Thanks Al! They just use the current one as a modem bridged to various access points around the house but I'll give it a go anyway to see if there's any improvement in the DSL stats. Thanks for your time.

Hi TheChizler,

Some slight differences,

Cheers
    Al
    Thanks Al! They just use the current one as a modem bridged to various access points around the house but I'll give it a go anyway to see if there's any improvement in the DSL stats. Thanks for your time.
    No worries TheChizler

Happy to help :)

Al

Hi Al,

Got around to plugging in the new gateway there, stats are slightly better so I'm wondering would it be possible to try their connection on a slightly higher bandwidth profile. Overall the modem seems to be behaving better while bridging and has lower power consumption than the last so I think I'll recommend they keep it!

P-660HW-T1 v3:

DSL standard: ADSL2+
    near-end bit rate: 15360 kbps
    far-end bit rate: 765 kbps

noise margin downstream: 62 0.1db
    output power upstream: 113 0.1db 
    attenuation downstream: 248 0.1db

noise margin upstream: 171 0.1db
    output power downstream: 193 0.1db 
    attenuation upstream: 109 0.1db

vs. new D1000:

ADSL link status: up

Opmode: ITU G.992.5(ADSL2PLUS)

near-end interleaved channel bit rate: 15360 kbps
    near-end fast channel bit rate: 0 kbps
    far-end interleaved channel bit rate: 765 kbps
    far-end fast channel bit rate: 0 kbps

Downstream:
    relative capacity occupation: 100% 
    noise margin downstream: 63 0.1dB
    output power upstream: 120 0.1dbm
    attenuation downstream: 237 0.1dB

Upstream:
    noise margin upstream: 164 0.1dB
    output power downstream: 189 0.1dbm
    attenuation upstream: 124 0.1dB

One thing that I noticed when I was setting up the D1000; the default and new admin password that I had just configured was fully visible from looking at the source on the login page:

344857.jpg

Since I'm bridging over PPPoE to our own router this login page won't be visible outside the home network; but if any customer with a normal setup had enabled WAN remote management, this page and therefore password would be fully visible to the outside world; anyone with their IP address would be able to assume full control of their network. The default admin password is the same as the default wireless key which most people never change. Obviously this has huge security implications.

Hi Al,

Got around to plugging in the new gateway there, stats are slightly better so I'm wondering would it be possible to try their connection on a slightly higher bandwidth profile. Overall the modem seems to be behaving better while bridging and has lower power consumption than the last so I think I'll recommend they keep it!

P-660HW-T1 v3:

DSL standard: ADSL2+
    near-end bit rate: 15360 kbps
    far-end bit rate: 765 kbps

noise margin downstream: 62 0.1db
    output power upstream: 113 0.1db 
    attenuation downstream: 248 0.1db

noise margin upstream: 171 0.1db
    output power downstream: 193 0.1db 
    attenuation upstream: 109 0.1db

vs. new D1000:

ADSL link status: up

Opmode: ITU G.992.5(ADSL2PLUS)

near-end interleaved channel bit rate: 15360 kbps
    near-end fast channel bit rate: 0 kbps
    far-end interleaved channel bit rate: 765 kbps
    far-end fast channel bit rate: 0 kbps

Downstream:
    noise margin downstream: 63 0.1dB
    output power upstream: 120 0.1dbm
    attenuation downstream: 237 0.1dB

Upstream:
    noise margin upstream: 164 0.1dB
    output power downstream: 189 0.1dbm
    attenuation upstream: 124 0.1dB

One thing that I noticed when I was setting up the D1000; the default and new admin password that I had just configured was fully visible from looking at the source on the login page:

344857.jpg

Since I'm bridging over PPPoE to our own router this login page won't be visible outside the home network; but if any customer with a normal setup had enabled WAN remote management, this page and therefore password would be fully visible to the outside world; anyone with their IP address would be able to assume full control of their network. The default admin password is the same as the default wireless key which most people never change. Obviously this has huge security implications.
    Thanks TheChizler

I'll notify online operations of this.

I have requested our technical support team to attempt increasing the speeds - as soon as they get back to me I'll be back to you on this right away.

Thanks
    Al

Cheers Al!

• Advertisement

Cheers Al!
    No worries TheChizler :)

AL

Advertisement