Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I get to Poolbeg Lighthouse (South Wall Walk)?

Options
  • 08-04-2015 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,968 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I a Dub born and bred, but I'm sorry to say that I have never been out to the Poolbeg LH. I believe the walk out and back is brilliant.

How do I get there? I will be using public transport to Sandymount.

I see on Google Maps, the entrance to a park opposite Marine Drive in Sandymount. A path through the park seems to lead to a road that goes to the start of the South Wall. Is this correct? The road is unnamed and is not on Street View.

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Marine+Dr,+Dublin+4/@53.335908,-6.212366,16z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x48670ede8bc35dad:0xc532f833161c40a7

I know it's a bit industrial around there, but that doesn't bother me, I just want to walk to the lighthouse and back, and see the ships coming into the port.

Is it safe enough to walk the roads around there before reaching the South Wall?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,319 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

It's just along the edge of the park, should lead you right around. It's through the entrance with the 'stile'? Along the sand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

It's just the entrance opposite Marine Drive.

Keep right and follow the sea/beach around.

Then just aim for the big red and white things in the sky :)

Tis a nice walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I usually park somewhere like here: http://goo.gl/maps/tQokF
    Its a great walk, but it's fairly bumpy, don't wear open toe sandals/flip flops.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Cienciano that link shows you the car park that I assume you want to show but then jumps to a house in sandymount. Just giving you a heads up in case it's your home!

Great idea op, born and bred in Dublin myself and have never been there, it'll be on my list for over the summer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

It's a great lovely walk, anytime I home I walk it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,968 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Thanks everyone. Looks like I'm in for a treat!

Seems that I can follow the footpath through the park to the car park that Cienciano mentioned and I'm more or less at the start of it! (I will be on the bus, so have to start at the park entrance, the "stile" opp Marine Drive looks like).

If I go on my own (Girl of a certain age here!) is it safe walking through all those industrial places to get to the start of it?

Next fine sunny Saturday, I'm off.

Check out bing maps, its actually better here. Has the full path marked out!
    http://binged.it/1E6YvVX
    If the link doesn't work, bing maps and birds eye view. You can even see people walking their dog along that path
    Cienciano that link shows you the car park that I assume you want to show but then jumps to a house in sandymount. Just giving you a heads up in case it's your home!

Great idea op, born and bred in Dublin myself and have never been there, it'll be on my list for over the summer!

I fúcking wish that was my house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Is it safe down that part?

Cienciano wrote: »
    Check out bing maps, its actually better here. Has the full path marked out!
    http://binged.it/1E6YvVX
    If the link doesn't work, bing maps and birds eye view. You can even see people walking their dog along that path

Thanks so much for that!

The road that was unnamed on Google Maps is actually the Shelley Banks Road.

Now that is amazing, because my grandmother used to talk about the "Shelley Banks" when she was younger. That was because she and her friends knew many people who were unfortunately in the Pigeon House TB hospital out there - long gone now. And they would cycle out there on a Sunday. Not sure if they were permitted to visit the patients though.

Dublin history, even recent, is great.

Nostalgia much.

TallGlass wrote: »
    Is it safe down that part?

No idea, never walked through the park. But the south wall itself is fine. Few lads fishing at the end, it's been fairly empty any time i walked it.
    I'd imagine the park is fairly quiet to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Cienciano wrote: »
    No idea, never walked through the park. But the south wall itself is fine. Few lads fishing at the end, it's been fairly empty any time i walked it.
    I'd imagine the park is fairly quiet to be honest

Run it pretty much every second evening. Follow the path along irishtown nature reserve and out along the coast. It'll bring you to South Wall and poolbeg lighthouse. Its a well trodden path ans is perfectly safe during the day. There are a few people drinking the odd evening but never been hassled. Bring a few euro if ur going on a Saturday. ..there's a lad selling coffee at the start of the pier...will warm u up on the way back if it's cold

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭terryhobdell

You really dont go through or near any industrial areas just along the side of the power station and I would not see much antisocial activity there.There is a bus terminus on Pigeon House Rd .If you wanted to do the park and the walk to the lighthouse as two walks.Its quite a fair distance. Enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Thanks everyone. Looks like I'm in for a treat!

Seems that I can follow the footpath through the park to the car park that Cienciano mentioned and I'm more or less at the start of it! (I will be on the bus, so have to start at the park entrance, the "stile" opp Marine Drive looks like).

If I go on my own (Girl of a certain age here!) is it safe walking through all those industrial places to get to the start of it?

Next fine sunny Saturday, I'm off.

It's all totally safe - I never worry about anywhere around there (I leave nearby and walk and run around there all different times of day/night).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

One of my absolute favourite walks in Dublin!

It's six miles from Beach Road to the red lighthouse and back via the park - the park is lovely and always full of walkers/runners/dogwalkers. The bit in the middle along by the power/sewage treatment station is a bit boring (and very smelly if the wind is blowing the wrong way!) but the wall itself is amazing.

About 8am is the best time for port traffic - it's like a watery M50 with ferries and ships and the pilot boat coming and going - I sometimes take a coffee and just sit there watching it all passing by.

If the tide is out you can cut the corners of that road by walking the whole way along the strand.

Unless you're going to do it at midnight or something, I wouldn't worry about safety, I have walked it hundreds of times and never heard of any hassle or incidents :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,724 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

OP - you do realise you can right click on google maps, set start and end locations, select walking, cycling, public transport or car and it will show you the alternative routes that you can take?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

And while you are at it, one third from the bottom in one of the towers there is a nest box for peregrine falcons, so it is worth to bring binoculars as you may get lucky and see them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

AFAIK there was a bus that only went out that way, one in the morning and one in the evening, check out Dublin Bus.ie, it may have been the 1 bus if it still runs.

Did the walk on a nice sunny summer afternoon and it's well worth it, you genuinely feel you've left the country when you're out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Great thread. I have often wondered about walking/cycling this wall myself.

Is the entire length of the walk accessible by bike? One of the posters here mentioned that the terrain can be rough in parts, so I don't want to get a puncture. What would be the best way to access the walk, if you are coming from the Three/O2 Arena by bike? Can you cross the river via the East Link bridge on a bike, or do you have to use the Beckett Bridge further up?

Once across the river, can you access the walk from the end of the Sir John Rogersons Quay, or do you have to go via Ringsend/Irishtown. Are there any dedicated cycle paths? Sorry for all the questions. I'm a fairly novice cyclist, so I am a bit nervous about cycling thru the heavy traffic in the Ringsend/Irishtown/Grand Canal Dock areas. Ta.

lxflyer wrote: »
    OP - you do realise you can right click on google maps, set start and end locations, select walking, cycling, public transport or car and it will show you the alternative routes that you can take?

Yes thanks. In the OP I mentioned the entrance to the park opposite Marine Drive as it was near the bus stop. My main concern was getting people's views about the safety aspect of the walk to the South Wall through the park if I was on my own.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Great thread. I have often wondered about walking/cycling this wall myself. Is the entire length of the walk accessible by bike? One of the posters here mentioned that the terrain can be rough in parts, so I don't want to get a puncture. What would be the way to access the walk, if you are coming from the Three/O2 Arena by bike? Can you cross the East Link bridge on a bike and can you access the walk from the end of the Sir John Rogersons Quay. Are there any dedicated cycle paths? I'm a fairly novice biker, so I am a bit nervous about cycling thru the heavy traffic in Ringsend/Irishtown. Ta.
    The South Wall itself is made up of large granite blocks, unevenly laid, so you'd need a fairly robust bike to cycle it. I've seen people doing it, but I don't know how their fillings stay in :eek:

You absolutely can cycle across the East Link - to get to the Wall directly, go straight through the roundabout after the toll booths, take the first left, and follow that road all the way and it'll bring you to the start of the South Wall itself. Apart from the bit from the toll booth to the roundabout, you'll have the road practically to yourself.

Otherwise at the roundabout go right, then at the next big junction go left along Beach Road and a few hundred yards along on your left you'll see the start of the path through the park. This is half and half tarmac path and what I'd call trail - can be muddy at times but it's fine really. This will meet the road that I described above.

You could always cycle as far as the start of the wall, lock the bike and walk out. There's something really magical about walking along the wall, you feel as if you're walking out into the bay - especially at high tide!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Thanks HeidiHeidi. Great info. Is there any particular merit to heading to the wall walk immediately after you go thru the toll booth roundabouts, versus heading to the beach road and then heading into the park? Or is it just a matter of one being shorter than the other?

Thanks HeidiHeidi. Great info. Is there any particular merit to heading to the wall walk immediately after you go thru the toll booth roundabouts, versus heading to the beach road and then heading into the park? Is it just a matter of one being shorter than the other?
    I'd say they're much the same in terms of distance. (I know the park route from Beach Road to the lighthouse is 3 miles, I'm not sure about the other route but it'd be something similar)

The park would be a far nicer cycle, although you'll be contending with walkers and dogs and half the city running/jogging - the road from the roundabout to the wall goes down past Hammond Lane scrapyard, the ESB station, and the container depots for the port - it's pretty industrial and fairly ugly (although I love it down there!) - but you'll have it to yourself.

ETA - just had a look on google maps - from the roundabout it's 3 miles if you go straight, if you go up to Beach Road and then back down through the park it adds about half a mile to it. And a few small hills!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,724 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

You really dont go through or near any industrial areas just along the side of the power station and I would not see much antisocial activity there.There is a bus terminus on Pigeon House Rd .If you wanted to do the park and the walk to the lighthouse as two walks.Its quite a fair distance. Enjoy it.
    dd972 wrote: »
    AFAIK there was a bus that only went out that way, one in the morning and one in the evening, check out Dublin Bus.ie, it may have been the 1 bus if it still runs.

Did the walk on a nice sunny summer afternoon and it's well worth it, you genuinely feel you've left the country when you're out there.

The bus to/from Pigeon House is long withdrawn.

The revised route 1 and the 47 are the closest buses these days, leaving you at Seafort Avenue in Sandymount, from where you can walk through Irishtown Park.
    Yes thanks. In the OP I mentioned the entrance to the park opposite Marine Drive as it was near the bus stop. My main concern was getting people's views about the safety aspect of the walk to the South Wall through the park if I was on my own.

No problem - just wasn't sure if you were.

It's a very handy feature!

That walk through the park would be pretty quiet during the day, and would be busy enough at weekends.

lxflyer wrote: »
    The bus to/from Pigeon House is long withdrawn.

The revised route 1 and the 47 are the closest buses these days, leaving you at Seafort Avenue in Sandymount, from where you can walk through Irishtown Park.

No problem - just wasn't sure if you were.

It's a very handy feature!

That walk through the park would be pretty quiet during the day, and would be busy enough at weekends.

I'd beg to differ with just this bit - I often walk the dog down there during the day and it's always reasonably busy, and at lunchtime seems to be home to half the jogging population of south Dublin!

In all the times I've walked down there I've never ever heard of any trouble or incidents (that's not to say there aren't any) nor have I ever been bothered.

Hi folks, thanks for all your great replies. I am mad to do this now, first opportunity I get, and I will report back.

In the meantime, I had come across this blog before I posted, but I didn't pay it too much attention as the blogger was starting at the Wall end to end and driving there. As I would be using PT, I just looked at the description of the wall walk itself. And you all have joined the PT dots for me! Thanks.

There are other walks in Dublin, and surrounding counties in the blog too for those interested. But here is the blog on the Poolbeg Lighthouse.

https://fatstevewalks.wordpress.com/walks-by-car/walks-by-car-great-south-wall-walk/

Navigable by wheelchair :eek: Bags I not be in that wheelchair!

Go and see it and then go and see it in different weather or at a different tidal height - it's literally never the same.

I always make a point to go down there in a strong northeasterly wind near high tide - although DO NOT walk out the wall itself! The sea breaking over the wall is a spectacular sight, one I'll never ever tire of!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Right posters, let's all go there now ! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

I've always wondered if you could walk from Ringsend right down to the lighthouse without walking by the park and on to Shelly Banks Road, seems like you can! Thought that road going through would only be for employees of one of the plants there.

Lovely sight to sit there around 5:30pm and wait until the ferries pass you by on a nice evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭roadster5

Had the pleasure of walking this wall only last week on a lovely sunny morning - beautiful - people swimming off the beach - in April !! - place to stop half way along for a short rest if required - some swimming and water polo club afaikr - met some elderly cyclists on it on old bikes - so should be no problem provided you take it easy - lovely granite seats at the end under the lighthouse dedicated in peeps memories - really a gem of a walk in Dublin - only took me 53 years to discover it - enjoy

• Advertisement

Great thread. I have often wondered about walking/cycling this wall myself.

Is the entire length of the walk accessible by bike? One of the posters here mentioned that the terrain can be rough in parts, so I don't want to get a puncture. What would be the best way to access the walk, if you are coming from the Three/O2 Arena by bike? Can you cross the river via the East Link bridge on a bike, or do you have to use the Beckett Bridge further up?

Once across the river, can you access the walk from the end of the Sir John Rogersons Quay, or do you have to go via Ringsend/Irishtown. Are there any dedicated cycle paths? Sorry for all the questions. I'm a fairly novice cyclist, so I am a bit nervous about cycling thru the heavy traffic in the Ringsend/Irishtown/Grand Canal Dock areas. Ta.
    When you cycle through the toll booth, keep to the left, the barrier is shortened so cyclists can get through.
    Lads do cycle the pier, guys fishing at the end always have bikes, as HeidiHeidi said, it's really bumpy in places. Sure cycle to it, lock your bike at the start, walk it and cycle home!

Advertisement