Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I get to Poolbeg Lighthouse (South Wall Walk)?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Did a recon of the walk today, prior to taking the rothar out. Parked the car on Marine Terrace, just off the coast road, just beside one of the pedestrian entrances to the park. I'd say it was about 40 minutes from the road, to the end of the line at the lighthouse. If you are parking up on a side street, look out for possible parking signs. Marine Terrace didn't have any, but the closer you get to Sandymount Village, you'll need a permit to park, or you'll have to pay to park on the street.

First third from the road. Paved pathway. Easy to walk and cycle. The wide sweep of the beach will be to your right. Utterly stunning views over to the mountains. Industrial area to your left. Lots of trees, bushes and whatnot to your left, so you won't be able to see any of boats in the port. Wear a hat of some sort. The midges were fair atin' me alive ! The last couple of minutes is unpaved, hilly and bumpy, so if you are on a bike, get off and walk, unless it is a mountain bike. It's only for a couple of minutes, so its no biggie really.

The middle third is on an paved actual road, where the walking path runs into Pigeon House Rd. Again, there no views of the port as there is an industrial area to your left, but there are stunning views out over the beach. You can walk on a proper path to the left of the road, or on the top of the sandy area beside the beach. Very easy to cycle. You can access the beach very easily from here, but be careful doing this part of the walk on the beach, lest you get cut off by an incoming tide. It can come in deceptively quickly, considering how far the tide goes out. The car park is towards the end of this stretch.

The last third is where the actual South Wall walk out to the lighthouse starts. From here, there are amazing, amazing, amazing views of the port and of the boats coming and going. Fab views over to the North Bull Wall & Howth too. There is a great hip high wall running the whole length of the walk, so there are loads of spots to sit and just drink in the great views. The surface underfoot is big, rough hewn boulders, perfectly easy to walk on, but would be seriously bumpy on a bike. You can drive down about half of the way, then the last 5 mins or so to the lighthouse, is blocked off to cars. There are spaces for about 5-6 cars to park, where the driveable bit ends. But if they are all full, you either have to reverse back the way you came, or do a very sharp 3 pt turn in a very tight confined space, with water in front of you and behind you. So be careful if you decide to take the car down to the very end.

When I arrived at 5.45pm, there wasn't that many people around. There were a few joggers and dog walkers, but that was about it, until you got to the start of the wall walk, where they were quite a few people fishing. When I left at 7.30, it was jammers with joggers, runners, kids on bikes etc etc. On a lovely spring evening, I felt perfectly safe at all times. But I'd say from Nov-March, it could be a bit desolate, especially the first part at the park, where the bushes, trees etc mean limited visibility of what is around you, or around the next bend. Anyway, its nearly summer for now, so I can't wait to go back on the bike !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Probably deserves a separate thread, but the walk along the Dodder from the East Link to Bushy park is fantastic too.

Others to consider: Royal canal towpath, in particular from Castlenock to Leixlip (or futher), or the Liffey from let's say Ballyfermot to St Catherine's park in Lucan.

And if you feel adventurous and have the time, I can recommend cycling the whole lenght of the Royal Canal (to Cloondara) and the Grand Canal (to Shannon Harbour) on the towpath. I did both (2 days each) recently and it is a great activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Cienciano wrote: »
    I usually park somewhere like here: http://goo.gl/maps/tQokF
    Its a great walk, but it's fairly bumpy, don't wear open toe sandals/flip flops.

It looks like there are barriers at that carpark? There arent?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It looks like there are barriers at that carpark? There arent?
    There are barriers to stop larger-than-cars cars getting in. Cars are no problem.

I would be making sure that there is NOTHING visible in the car (preferably nothing actually in the car if that's practical).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,968 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Did a recon of the walk today, prior to taking the rothar out. Parked the car on Marine Terrace, just off the coast road, just beside one of the pedestrian entrances to the park. I'd say it was about 40 minutes from the road, to the end of the line at the lighthouse. If you are parking up on a side street, look out for possible parking signs. Marine Terrace didn't have any, but the closer you get to Sandymount Village, you'll need a permit to park, or you'll have to pay to park on the street.

First third from the road. Paved pathway. Easy to walk and cycle. The wide sweep of the beach will be to your right. Utterly stunning views over to the mountains. Industrial area to your left. Lots of trees, bushes and whatnot to your left, so you won't be able to see any of boats in the port. Wear a hat of some sort. The midges were fair atin' me alive ! The last couple of minutes is unpaved, hilly and bumpy, so if you are on a bike, get off and walk, unless it is a mountain bike. It's only for a couple of minutes, so its no biggie really.

The middle third is on an paved actual road, where the walking path runs into Pigeon House Rd. Again, there no views of the port as there is an industrial area to your left, but there are stunning views out over the beach. You can walk on a proper path to the left of the road, or on the top of the sandy area beside the beach. Very easy to cycle. You can access the beach very easily from here, but be careful doing this part of the walk on the beach, lest you get cut off by an incoming tide. It can come in deceptively quickly, considering how far the tide goes out. The car park is towards the end of this stretch.

The last third is where the actual South Wall walk out to the lighthouse starts. From here, there are amazing, amazing, amazing views of the port and of the boats coming and going. Fab views over to the North Bull Wall & Howth too. There is a great hip high wall running the whole length of the walk, so there are loads of spots to sit and just drink in the great views. The surface underfoot is big, rough hewn boulders, perfectly easy to walk on, but would be seriously bumpy on a bike. You can drive down about half of the way, then the last 5 mins or so to the lighthouse, is blocked off to cars. There are spaces for about 5-6 cars to park, where the driveable bit ends. But if they are all full, you either have to reverse back the way you came, or do a very sharp 3 pt turn in a very tight confined space, with water in front of you and behind you. So be careful if you decide to take the car down to the very end.

When I arrived at 5.45pm, there wasn't that many people around. There were a few joggers and dog walkers, but that was about it, until you got to the start of the wall walk, where they were quite a few people fishing. When I left at 7.30, it was jammers with joggers, runners, kids on bikes etc etc. On a lovely spring evening, I felt perfectly safe at all times. But I'd say from Nov-March, it could be a bit desolate, especially the first part at the park, where the bushes, trees etc mean limited visibility of what is around you, or around the next bend. Anyway, its nearly summer for now, so I can't wait to go back on the bike !

Fair dues to you, and thanks for the very informative review!

I had a day off today. I was going to do the South Wall, but I chickened out, the weather wasn't great aswell, which would mean less people around.

But I did the North Bull Wall across the wooden bridge in Clontarf instead, out and back, and walked back to the Yacht along the sea for me din dins, yummy!

Thank you again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Ok folks, watch what you say...the Guards are listening in. :eek:

They just posted this great pic on their Twitter account.

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/588431651392397312

This shows the wall walk & most of the road part of the walk beside the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    There are barriers to stop larger-than-cars cars getting in. Cars are no problem.

I would be making sure that there is NOTHING visible in the car (preferably nothing actually in the car if that's practical).

Seriously its that bad down there???

Ah no, it's not really - but it's fairly out of the way, and the chances are that anyone who's parked up a car is gone for an hour or more (there's nothing else down there to do but go for a walk!) so cars would be very easy targets. There's not a huge amount of traffic either, so not a whole lot of cars coming and going.

Just sensible precautions given the location, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

It is a lovely walk; and it is possible to get to the start of it by road, if you commence from the roundabout --I mean, the big roundabout that is very near the south end of the Eastlink Bridge and is known to locals (still) as the Irish Glass Bottle site! It is easy done by bike.
    If you take the road past the Pigeon House it winds around a bit but brings you to the Shelly Banks car park and that's right at the foot of the big towers and the very start of the South wall. A slightly shorter walk from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Don't forget to look at the old Pigeon House.
    http://dublincitypubliclibraries.com/dublin-buildings/pigeon-house

cool story behind it.

• Advertisement

Lovely report on the GSW on the 6-one news tonight.

300 years this week since the decision was made to start work on it, to stop the shipping channel into the port silting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Wiki has a good bit on it too
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_South_Wall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

It can be.

I've been a regular visitor for most of the last thirty years but if you're sensible and use some common sense your car and its contents will be fine.

But like most places leave anything in plain sight and it'll be stroked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

I've loved walking along the GSW for many years - fantastic spot. I even took part in the Spencer Tunick installation a few years ago....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I finally did this walk today having been inspired by this thread. Really enjoyable and beautiful views. It's incredible how close the ferries seem. There was a very bracing wind - I can only imagine what it's like in cold weather. I got the bus out to Sandymount and walked through the park. There were some lads drinking in a few spots in the park but there was no hassle at all. Definitely recommend it! Thanks for the tips here.

You picked a fantastic day for a first visit!

Believe me, on a breezy clear winter's day, it's even better.

I was dismayed to read of Harry Crosbie's plans for it recently

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/gay-byrne-and-harry-crosbie-s-path-to-freedom-on-the-great-south-wall-1.2256003

Now I appreciate that it's not accessible to all as it is - but that artist's impression of their plans is a seriously depressing sight :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/gay-byrne-and-harry-crosbie-s-path-to-freedom-on-the-great-south-wall-1.2256003

Now I appreciate that it's not accessible to all as it is - but that artist's impression of their plans is a seriously depressing sight :mad:

Depressing isn't the word, that is horrific!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Speedsie wrote: »
    Depressing isn't the word, that is horrific!

Will there be penalty points for walking too fast! He's lost the run of himself

• Registered Users Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

You picked a fantastic day for a first visit!

Believe me, on a breezy clear winter's day, it's even better.

Crosbie owes AIB € 540m
    http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/ireland/Business/News/article408862.ece
    NAMA tried to get Harry Crosbie to repay €77m after 'he failed to disclose assets'
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/nama-tried-to-get-harry-crosbie-to-repay-77m-after-he-failed-to-disclose-assets-30275083.html

my mother who is getting on, tripped on the curb down the street and fell and wasn't quick enough to put her hands out to stop her fall, hit her head, resulting in being very dazed and a nasty cut on her eye... shall we smooth all the curbs?

Did you read the article?

He'll organise it - but someone (anyone) else will pay for it! :D

<“I’d be appealing to contractors and suppliers out there who might contribute materials, and there are technology companies not far from here – Google and Facebook to name but two – who might get involved,” he says. “I’ll put in the planning application and will project-lead it, if there is a public appetite for it out there.” He says he’ll go to Dublin Port with the proposal when he has all the details worked out and a sponsor on board.>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Did you read the article?

He'll organise it - but someone (anyone) else will pay for it! :D

<“I’d be appealing to contractors and suppliers out there who might contribute materials, and there are technology companies not far from here – Google and Facebook to name but two – who might get involved,” he says. “I’ll put in the planning application and will project-lead it, if there is a public appetite for it out there.” He says he’ll go to Dublin Port with the proposal when he has all the details worked out and a sponsor on board.>

why should we let somebody who owes and hides millions touch this?

why should we let somebody who owes and hides millions touch this?
    I'm not arguing with you!!!

I hope he's laughed out of town with this idea, but I fear he might find some like-minded vandals and actually get it across the line.

I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for planning notices :eek:

Advertisement