Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

infuriating behavior while fishing

• 08-04-2015 7:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

Rant alert: was out today on a salmon river. Just after losing my first ever salmon (pissed off enough abt that!) 2 elderly lads walked up with all their gear sat down beside me and started chatting. They then proceeded to rig up (we were both trotting a worm) and started casting exactly where I was. Literally across my line even tangled up in my line a few times as he retrieved. Got to the stage where he was practically throwing his line in on top of mine. I confronted him about it and he just ignored me and kept on doing it. I ended up having to leave as I was so pissed off from that behaviour and losing the fish I'd have done something I would have regretted. Ya think people would know better

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

thehamo wrote: »
    Rant alert: was out today on a salmon river. Just after losing my first ever salmon (pissed off enough abt that!) 2 elderly lads walked up with all their gear sat down beside me and started chatting. They then proceeded to rig up (we were both trotting a worm) and started casting exactly where I was. Literally across my line even tangled up in my line a few times as he retrieved. Got to the stage where he was practically throwing his line in on top of mine. I confronted him about it and he just ignored me and kept on doing it. I ended up having to leave as I was so pissed off from that behaviour and losing the fish I'd have done something I would have regretted. Ya think people would know better

Well it depends on the river itself maybe that particular spot was good, you would think that them old lads would have a bit sense, you were right to confront them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Well it depends on the river itself maybe that particular spot was good, you would think that them old lads would have a bit sense, you were right to confront them!

Even if the spot is good if I see someone fishing it I accept it and move on. I Dont jockey back on top of them and try and muscle in on a spot! Was very poor form in my eyes

thehamo wrote: »
    Even if the spot is good if I see someone fishing it I accept it and move on. I Dont jockey back on top of them and try and muscle in on a spot! Was very poor form in my eyes

Yea it was.. We all come across ejits, whas the salmon big? Still trying to get my first, also where you fishing in a day ticket water or club? If it was a club water you could get the treasurer to say something to them..

Also I was reading a thread awhile back of older men doing this, the person who it was happening to confronted them and still they done it, he talked to the owner of club and they got a warning, I don't know but I think that sometimes the older fellas are the ones who act like children doing this, not right at all, like how is this an example to say children who want to fish... Think they'd act there age!

Yeah was easily touching the 10lb mark. I genuinely nearly shed a tear when I lost it

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Personally I'd be an even bigger b0ll1x than them and I'd throw my line over theirs as soon as they cast and drag their's in. I'd keep doing it until they got the message - but then that's me and I'm a stubborn bugger.

Very bad form on their part and just plain band manners. They probably thought they owned that particular spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

I don't normally stay in one spot too long but I tell ya if someone did it to me I'd let them know about it as nicely as possible first and if they didn't get the hint I would have put on heavier line and a spinner and got the rods in a right mess
    I'm fairly stubborn so there would be no way I would have backed down it would have ended in tears for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

yip drag them into a knot then throw out the spare rod and line. noway letting them away with that game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Was spinning for Pike in the canal at Leixlip and this middle aged man encourages his dog to go into the water right beside where I as fishing.

Of course I confront him and ask him did he not see me there or are is he just an inconsiderate "yoke". His reply was that that's the spot he puts his dog in every day and I should go back to my own county!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

Was spinning for Pike in the canal at Leixlip and this middle aged man encourages his dog to go into the water right beside where I as fishing.

Of course I confront him and ask him did he not see me there or are is he just an inconsiderate "yoke". His reply was that that's the spot he puts his dog in every day and I should go back to my own county!

What time is your flight??? only joking!!! there is a serious amount of ignorant people out there. Iv had the dogs put in beside me before and had he pr***s casting into where I was fishing too. But Im thicker and more ignorant so always cast straight back over their lines and get a nice tangle going. Usually they get P****d off after a while and move on but once I just resorted to throwing stones into where this twit was casting. he moved on so I followed and did same thing to him. He went mental but it thought him a lesson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Just playing devil's advocate here but it is also quite rude to hog a spot and let nobody else in.
    The proper etiquette is to take a step or two down after a couple of casts.
    I will happily encroach on another angler and cross his line if he doesn't move on after I've suggested it.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Welllmade1745

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    Just playing devil's advocate here but it is also quite rude to hog a spot and let nobody else in.
    I will happily encroach on another angler and cross his line if he doesn't move on after I've suggested it.
    Please tell me your taking the piss ???, if not then you ought to get your head checked, if I get out early too get a spot what gives someone else the right to Walse down whenever they like and take that spot- no right that's what right they have.- if anyone did that to me trust me they'd know about it.!!

Please tell me your taking the piss ???, if not then you ought to get your head checked, if I get out early too get a spot what gives someone else the right to Walse down whenever they like and take that spot- no right that's what right they have.- if anyone did that to me trust me they'd know about it.!!

I don't know if you're a member of a club or not but any trout or salmon club I've ever been in has had that as part of the club rules.
    Fair enough if you're coarse fishing and you want to stay in the same spot but the OP was talking about salmon and that is the accepted way of doing it all over the world.
    Maybe you could try and be a bit more considerate of your fellow angler in the future, you might enjoy it a bit more!

I don't know if you're a member of a club or not but any trout or salmon club I've ever been in has had that as part of the club rules.
    Fair enough if you're coarse fishing and you want to stay in the same spot but the OP was talking about salmon and that is the accepted way of doing it all over the world.
    Maybe you could try and be a bit more considerate of your fellow angler in the future, you might enjoy it a bit more!

No I'm in a club and I fly,bait,lure fish for trout on a regular basis- and never once seen evidence of such a situation, saying that I've never salmon fished (watched others do it) so I can't speak for salmon rivers.

No I'm in a club and I fly,bait,lure fish for trout on a regular basis- and never once seen evidence of such a situation, saying that I've never salmon fished (watched others do it) so I can't speak for salmon rivers.

Have a look in your rule book, I'd be quite surprised if it wasn't in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Do you wear a lifejacket?

Have a look in your rule book, I'd be quite surprised if it wasn't in there.

Must take a look so- cheers.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

crusier wrote: »

I lol'd:D

crusier wrote: »

Nah, I've got a donk.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Nah, I've got a donk.

Good for you! Let's hope we don't cross paths!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Different methods require different strategies - worm fishing guys will stay in the one spot, guys spinning or flyfishing will usually move along the river covering more water. Most clubs have rules to address this - in our club worm fishermen are asked not to start fishing in front of a fly angler coming down a pool, and to reel in and let fly anglers through before starting fishing again. It's common courtesy. Other worm anglers are asked not to fish on top of other worm anglers. Again, common courtesy.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Different methods require different strategies - worm fishing guys will stay in the one spot, guys spinning or flyfishing will usually move along the river covering more water. Most clubs have rules to address this - in our club worm fishermen are asked not to start fishing in front of a fly angler coming down a pool, and to reel in and let fly anglers through before starting fishing again. It's common courtesy. Other worm anglers are asked not to fish on top of other worm anglers. Again, common courtesy.

Our club says give fly anglers priority- however many of the pool that are worm and lure fished are almost impossible to fly fish in so problems never really arise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭con___manx1

I have never had a problem with fly fishermen its always lads with worms or spinners that think they own a spot .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

I have never had a problem with fly fishermen its always lads with worms or spinners that think they own a spot .

I have met my fair share of obnoxious anglers of all types. Fly anglers no more or less than others.

Bio Mech wrote: »
    I have met my fair share of obnoxious anglers of all types. Fly anglers no more or less than others.

+1 on that- in fact fly anglers seem to think there better than everyone else Alot of the time- I'm a fly angler myself so I don't see why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

+1 on that- in fact fly anglers seem to think there better than everyone else Alot of the time- I'm a fly angler myself so I don't see why?

When I fly fished I never once forced or expected anyone to move because I'm there.
    If everyone pays their licence and plays by the rules then no one should be classed as having more rights than others.
    I fished a river using a minnow and when talking to a fly angler as I walked back with my catch ( a stocked trout of 3 lbs) he looked at me with disgust because I was using a minnow. Called it a disgrace to fishing. Says nowhere on licence that I wasn't allowed use minnow.
    Yet he was happy having caught and killed a wild browny that was barely legal size of about 9 inches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

When I fly fished I never once forced or expected anyone to move because I'm there.
    If everyone pays their licence and plays by the rules then no one should be classed as having more rights than others.
    I fished a river using a minnow and when talking to a fly angler as I walked back with my catch ( a stocked trout of 3 lbs) he looked at me with disgust because I was using a minnow. Called it a disgrace to fishing. Says nowhere on licence that I wasn't allowed use minnow.
    Yet he was happy having caught and killed a wild browny that was barely legal size of about 9 inches.

I find that alot of fly anglers look down their nose at anglers using worms, minnow or spinners.
    Im a fly angler for trout myself but I would never be disgusted with any fisherman using legal methods to catch a fish.
    Just dont like if Im fishing and a tool with a spinner/ worm starts casting into where your fishing. Bit of common sense goes a long way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

idnkph wrote: »
    I find that alot of fly anglers look down their nose at anglers using worms, minnow or spinners.
    Im a fly angler for trout myself but I would never be disgusted with any fisherman using legal methods to catch a fish.
    Just dont like if Im fishing and a tool with a spinner/ worm starts casting into where your fishing. Bit of common sense goes a long way.

Works both ways aswell if someone is worming or spinning that a fly angler will judge himself on top of the other angler

I've done a good bit of salmon angling in the past three years or so. I know full well the etiquette of fishing various beats and moving on however that always mostly applied to the fly. I was there all of 10 minutes including rigging up there's no way on earth I was in the wrong on this occasion

• Advertisement
Advertisement