Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Almost two year old suddenly very afraid

Options
  • 08-04-2015 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

My 22 month old little boy has suddenly developed a huge fear in Flys, bees, ants and dogs. The back garden used to be his favourite place and in what feels like overnight it traumatises him to be out there because of the little bits of wild life.

Any other parents experience something similar? Any tips on how to approach it? He gets really upset and jumpy. He is usually such a chilled out little guy it's awful to see him so frightened. I'm really hoping it's just a phase!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I'm not the parent in this situation, I'm the Nana :)

In the last week there has been so much new stuff outside..sunshine included!

Your baby isnt suddenly afraid.. he doesnt remember them from last year.

We had a few tired bumble bees yesterday and I took my older Grandson (2 and a half) out to feed them sugar and water on a spoon. Bees went off wobbling but he was crouched down trying to help.

The back yard is a new place now. :)

Edit: We were turning the compost heap. Worms. Everywhere. We sat and chatted with them and he was delighted to let them walk near his feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Chucken wrote: »

We had a few tired bumble bees yesterday and I took my older Grandson (2 and a half) out to feed them sugar and water on a spoon. Bees went off wobbling but he was crouched down trying to help.

Edit: We were turning the compost heap. Worms. Everywhere. We sat and chatted with them and he was delighted to let them walk near his feet.

You sound like a lovely fun nana. Your grand kids must love spending time in the garden with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Chucken wrote: »

Thanks for your reply chucken. You are so right. I obviously over reacted, first time mum ott!! We were at the beach on Thursday and he had great fun exploring mounds of seaweed and jumping in the water. He will get used to the bees!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

yellow hen wrote: »
    You sound like a lovely fun nana. Your grand kids must love spending time in the garden with you.

:o Thank you. I do my best...but then again I can hand them back ;)
    cant26 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply chucken. You are so right. I obviously over reacted, first time mum ott!! We were at the beach on Thursday and he had great fun exploring mounds of seaweed and jumping in the water. He will get used to the bees!

Ah I'm delighted he's ok :) It's all a big adventure...for you as well.
    When my own kids talk about being small, they remember a lot of time spent with me on the floor or on our knees looking for bugs and fairies!
    Just remember how new it all is to him and rediscover it with him :)

Advertisement