Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 8.3 is out

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Still so many bugs in iOS 8 it's laughable at this stage even after 8.3 they still haven't fixed them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Animal Chin

It's ridiculous alright. It's been out 9 months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I think they're planning iOS 9 to be a huge bug fix release, kind of like Snow Leopard was for OS X. It's a bit overdue, to be honest...

Zcott wrote: »
    I think they're planning iOS 9 to be a huge bug fix release, kind of like Snow Leopard was for OS X. It's a bit overdue, to be honest...

Under the hood improvements according to Rumours for iOS 9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Had a couple of issues with my 5s and hoped that an update would sort it. I now have a phone that won't even restore. It's getting stuck on the firmware stage and then looping.

So do I go to my phone supplier who I bought the phone off or Apple. I have insurance through my network supplier but am not sure that this is covered. Any help would be great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

emc2 wrote: »
    Had a couple of issues with my 5s and hoped that an update would sort it. I now have a phone that won't even restore. It's getting stuck on the firmware stage and then looping.

So do I go to my phone supplier who I bought the phone off or Apple. I have insurance through my network supplier but am not sure that this is covered. Any help would be great

Do you have your one year warranty? If so contact Apple. If you're outside that one year, contact your place of purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

emc2 wrote: »

Before you send it off google iPhone DFU restore. That might sort it

guil wrote: »
    Before you send it off google iPhone DFU restore. That might sort it

I tried that alright but didn't work. Thanks.

Just an update on this. I was in Belfast so booked a slot with Apple. They confirmed it was a firmware issue and told me had I bought it direct from them they would replace it there and then. They said bring it to your provider to get it replace. Did that and after 4 days the provider came back to say it was water damaged and wanted €295 to repair it. Needless to say I'll be leaving my current network!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Strange, normally they would (replace it). Is it still under warranty/less than 12 months old? Just contact apple on the phone then, they're more lenient with water damage than the providers phone repair centres, the latter actively look for anything that can make you pay were apple just want to find&fix the problem. However is Apple confirm water damage there will be a charge. Did you not write you've insurance? Could just go to them then...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Graham 1324

Any use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Got around to updating to ios 8.3 last night on my 5c and partners 4s.
    4s is having continual problems which I am trying to google about at the moment. Problems such as receiving WhatsApp messages but not being able to send. Receiving emails but not being able to send then email crashing, Apps such as Spotify crashing, and messenger now can't send messages. It feels like a virus or bug has got in and is going through each app causing havoc (not to sound dramatic!)

Is the 4s just not able for the update?

For the 5c, the Boards.ie app just crashes and disappears, numerous apps won't let me access info if I am clicking on a button on their site. Thats it so far, I guess the 5c can take the update better.

Anyone else having similar issues with these models?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

The 4S is not able for iOS 8.3 and in truth once it was fed iOS 8.0 it began to struggle. Mine is now prone to crashing especially when upgrading apps. I can't sync music through iTunes, it just crashes each time I try. The phone is now slower and suffers from lag when flicking between apps etc. I should probably try a full restore as everything else has failed, having said that a restore won't deal with the root cause...the 4S processor is simply too slow for iOS 8.

iOS 7 was brilliant with the 4S and upgrading has pretty much killed it. Shame really as it was a top phone. Apple should be happy as I'm forced into an upgrade I had no interest in until these issues surfaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

gebbel wrote: »
    The 4S is not able for iOS 8.3 and in truth once it was fed iOS 8.0 it began to struggle. Mine is now prone to crashing especially when upgrading apps. I can't sync music through iTunes, it just crashes each time I try. The phone is now slower and suffers from lag when flicking between apps etc. I should probably try a full restore as everything else has failed, having said that a restore won't deal with the root cause...the 4S processor is simply too slow for iOS 8.

iOS 7 was brilliant with the 4S and upgrading has pretty much killed it. Shame really as it was a top phone. Apple should be happy as I'm forced into an upgrade I had no interest in until these issues surfaced.

Some people say that Apple do this intentionally; it's called planned obsolescence.

Got around to updating to ios 8.3 last night on my 5c and partners 4s.
    4s is having continual problems which I am trying to google about at the moment. Problems such as receiving WhatsApp messages but not being able to send. Receiving emails but not being able to send then email crashing, Apps such as Spotify crashing, and messenger now can't send messages. It feels like a virus or bug has got in and is going through each app causing havoc (not to sound dramatic!)

Is the 4s just not able for the update?

For the 5c, the Boards.ie app just crashes and disappears, numerous apps won't let me access info if I am clicking on a button on their site. Thats it so far, I guess the 5c can take the update better.

Anyone else having similar issues with these models?
    There is no boards.ie app for iPhones. You've just added a shortcut to your home screen.

You should restore both phones in iTunes and see what it's like then.

Edit: apologies I never realised the app was just released.

I've just tried the app and it's crashing for me on iPhone 6 iOS 8.1.3 I think there's a problem with the app update because it was only updated a few days ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭iniall

guil wrote: »
    I've just tried the app and it's crashing for me on iPhone 6 iOS 8.1.3 I think there's a problem with the app update because it was only updated a few days ago.

Just downloaded it myself (they kept that quiet!) - working fine so far on iPhone 6, iOS 8.3.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

feck sake , went to upgrade an iphone 6 - error 53 !!
    one call to apple later and I'm waiting for a ups box......
    weird given it worked fine on 8.0.xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭No_Comply

horgan_p wrote: »
    feck sake , went to upgrade an iphone 6 - error 53 !!
    one call to apple later and I'm waiting for a ups box......
    weird given it worked fine on 8.0.xx

What did they say was the issue?

I'm waiting on a replacement from Apple! Seems to be a lot of issues with iPhone 6/6 plus in general.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

They didn't, but they were very quick to offer the repair.
    Makes me think I wasn't the first or second to call.

• Advertisement

One of the most annoying bugs in iOS 8 is with safari if I have a web page open and use another app when I go back to Safari it shows me an image of a web page that I was looking at months ago it only happens for about 2 or 3 seconds but it's so annoying. Any body else have this sort of problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fifi28

One of the most annoying bugs in iOS 8 is with safari if I have a web page open and use another app when I go back to Safari it shows me an image of a web page that I was looking at months ago it only happens for about 2 or 3 seconds but it's so annoying. Any body else have this sort of problem?

Exact same issue on my iphone and ipad

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

How about trying a full wipe and restore as a new machine? My ipad 2 turned into a lazy dog on 8.0. A full restore via itunes plugged to the mac is the way to go for my 2011 ipad2 anyway. I hope this is some benefit for suffering older ios device owners!

beware- do a back up first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    Some people say that Apple do this intentionally; it's called planned obsolescence.

The cynic in me would tend to agree. Especially after the 4s will can no longer be charged with my Philips iphone alarm clock after the update

Thanks Apple for pushing me into a new purchase I can't afford....... **** it, maybe I'll just go android

Advertisement