Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Well he did go as far as to point out that it's better than rowen Atkinson's
    I wonder what he's asking for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/bmw-325i-74k-miles/22371453

OTNlYzY4NTRmOGQxZGMyNjQ3MDBkZmJhNTZkZDViMjDnN87Op0jdPdyb4gqhxNRtaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjgwOTYyODN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This looks like a fantastic example of one of these

91 325i, manual, 76k miles, nearly 30 years old! Is it worth 3 grand though?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

It's not the strongest or most popular colour, but I think it's near enough with the price, definitely worth €2.5K

Looks understated and original, which is what a lot of enthusiasts want, unmolested and not modified in any way. Original radio, alloys and tool kit is good. The lower side skirts could be touched up and the only other blemish is a stain on the drivers seat.

Classic insurance is possible and you could tax it 3 months on and 3 off for the next 2 years if you wanted. Prices have bottomed out and will start to rise for them soon enough so it's a good deal IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭w124man

iamtony wrote: »
    https://m.carsireland.ie/1964550

E500 Porsche built w124

Myth I'm afraid! Mostly built in Stuttgart by Mercedes but intermediary build and final build was done at the Porsche factory simply because they had the space and Mercedes didn't. This one has the wrong wheels, exhaust and is a basic car. I would expect this one to cost around €45000 or so but all of them will have faults that will need a deep pocket. I know of four in this country at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

w124man wrote: »
    Myth I'm afraid! Mostly built in Stuttgart by Mercedes but intermediary build and final build was done at the Porsche factory simply because they had the space and Mercedes didn't. This one has the wrong wheels, exhaust and is a basic car. I would expect this one to cost around €45000 or so but all of them will have faults that will need a deep pocket. I know of four in this country at the moment

Good ones with a years TUV are about half that price in Germany. Love to know what the VRT boys would value them at. They've doubled in price in the past 3-4 years over there.

A former work colleague got an E34 M5 Touring in 2014, it's worth well over twice what he paid for it, which was €17,000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

w124man wrote: »

I'm not doubting you with a name like w124man but this is the story on them I read which is a lot more sexy:pac: I'd never heard of the car until I seen the as a friend flagged and looked into it

Edit: forgot to add story https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_500_E

KevRossi wrote: »
    Good ones with a years TUV are about half that price in Germany. Love to know what the VRT boys would value them at.

How do you know they are good? There was an ex German E500 in North Wicklow that cost its owner the guts of €35,000 and needed another €10,000 spending when examined over here by a good MB independent who knows these cars. TUV does not mean good and they rust just the same as an ordinary 124! Its since gone back to Germany. There was a Carlsson version sold out of Limerick into the UK about three years ago for close on €18,000. It has since been bought and sold twice in the UK. It carried the reg number B16DOG. Parts for these cars are blindingly expensive and mostly unique.
    The VRT boys would probably love it. They'd research the prices in the UK and take their 36% cut - a good €10,000 plus

iamtony wrote: »
    I'm not doubting you with a name like w124man but this is the story on them I read which is a lot more sexy:pac: I'd never heard of the car until I seen the as a friend flagged and looked into it

Edit: forgot to add story https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_500_E

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

If it was an 1989 model then i'm sure the cheapskates would be queuing around the block to pay that.

But until then I think it will be a hard sell at that level. Lovely car all the same. But what, in the name of god, cost so much on the option list? Its a 4 banger with nice seats....

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

But what, in the name of god, cost so much on the option list? Its a 4 banger with nice seats....

You're jumping to conclusions. The seller never mentioned expensive options. My guess the fairly boggo car simply cost 28K at the time. My father in law bought a Rover 620TI that same year, I saw the invoice, it was 28k Punts

Cars half fancy were very expensive back then. A new FIAT Cinquecento was just 5k. A brand new semi-D in Lucan about 50k...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

unkel wrote: »
    You're jumping to conclusions. The seller never mentioned expensive options. My guess the fairly boggo car simply cost 28K at the time. My father in law bought a Rover 620TI that same year, I saw the invoice, it was 28k Punts

Cars half fancy were very expensive back then. A new FIAT Cinquecento was just 5k. A brand new semi-D in Lucan about 50k...

The ad says the first owner spent £15k on extras

unkel wrote: »
    You're jumping to conclusions. The seller never mentioned expensive options.

I'm not, and he did. Read the ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ah, my bad. On mobile and didn't click on the "show more" button.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

But what, in the name of god, cost so much on the option list? Its a 4 banger with nice seats....
    That hole in the roof must have cost a few quid!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Worth every penny imo. The m50 engine is nice and reliable, easy to work on etc. If id space in the yard id buy it. Wasnt so long ago people were buying e36 m3's for that kind of money

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

oceanman wrote: »

I love that he doesnt even attempt to describe this, because ..... you cant !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,973 ✭✭✭✭elperello

RobAMerc wrote: »

Unique :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,427 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

RobAMerc wrote: »

i looked at the first two pics and thought "what is he on about, it just looks a little rough". then i seen the third pic

• Registered Users Posts: 14,973 ✭✭✭✭elperello

i looked at the first two pics and thought "what is he on about, it just looks a little rough". then i seen the third pic

The best you could say is that you won't see another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,862 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Easiest thing to do is just cut off the rest of the roof and the tops of the doors, job done!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

That's exactly what I did!

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/austin-morris-2200-1974/18593474

ZGUyNzc4OWRmNmE3NzQwOWQ0ZDFkYjFjZjMwYWFhZDh0_9ECsj_a3k46dcALxL_YaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjc5NTkwNzV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

In the space of about 18 months or 2 years this has been reduced from €15k to 4k. It has been up so many times, people are so used to seeing it etc, that it has only gotten 30 views in 5 hours on this occasion

Seems like a bit of a bargain if its your thing (it is very much my thing I might add)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

Nice looking W124 for sale in Kerry... not enough pics tho ��

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1132084

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

supervento wrote: »
    Nice looking W124 for sale in Kerry... not enough pics tho ��

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1132084

Hmmm!

oceanman wrote: »

What he wanted:

Lancia%20Beta%20Spider%20(1).jpg

What he ended up with:

MTc1YTU1ZWVlYjc2YmE0YzQ3YWQ0MTRjNTE3MTdlN2IBfeQsWQGDCwTLSsfTIsb8aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjgyOTQ4Mzh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,514 ✭✭✭jmreire

kadman wrote: »

They were basically just a bigger version of the 1100's, but never looked as appealing. Never really took off sale's -wise either, and you could pick them up fairly cheap. Having said that, they were a comfortable enough car due to the hydro-static suspension, which was pretty good for those times. The next door neighbour had one, and he got a good few years out of it, was the same colour too.

Advertisement