Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Can you find a ‘124 Cabriolet for a lot less?

How about this?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-e220-cabriolet/16642893

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

swarlb wrote: »
    Here's a '124 Cabriolet' for less....:cool:

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1114673

I'd prefer this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Looks clean, but 7k for a Toyota Carina? You could have as clean a Mercedes-Benz or a even a Porsche for that sort of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭w124man

unkel wrote: »
    Seriously? That's possibly the most ridiculously priced car we have ever seen on this thread.

You don't know your W124 cabriolets then! IF that car is rust free and has been recommissioned properly then its a snip!

• Advertisement

I'd prefer this one.

Chrome wheel arches and a ****ty exhaust with no mention of the engine wiring loom? Walk .....

w124man wrote: »
    You don't know your W124 cabriolets then! IF that car is rust free and has been recommissioned properly then its a snip!

It's more of a general thing. I have never understood why people pay 3 or 4 times more for a car in showroom condition than one which is running perfectly fine but has some minor blemishes. I would be terrified to take a concours car out for a drive, let alone park it somewhere. Same as I was delighted to find my favourite watch of all time, a blue Seamaster, at well below the going rate but with some scratches on it. It's my daily beater watch and I don't care if it gets a few more scratches.

But each to their own!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

If you have a daily beater watch, then I presume you have a better, more special watch for special occasions. And you probably spent considerably more for that one than the beat up Seamaster.

That's why people pay more for a good example of the things they like.

If you have a daily beater watch, then I presume you have a better, more special watch for special occasions. And you probably spent considerably more for that one than the beat up Seamaster.

Nope. My only watch is the Seamaster. In excellent condition apart from a few scratches on the bezel. Bought for a 3 figure sum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

supervento wrote: »
    i love these, so beautiful this one.... ageing very gracefully...

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1997-e220-cabriolet-automatic/21713443

Is this not the EXACT car Deane have marketed at €23,995??? Same spec, year and mileage. Jokers !!!!!! Holy God

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,057 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Nope. My only watch is the Seamaster. In excellent condition apart from a few scratches on the bezel. Bought for a 3 figure sum.

Then it's not your "beater watch", it's just "your watch" that happens to be a beaten old Seamaster! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Unreguser

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1988-toyota-supra-3-0i-vintage56-road-tax/22425185

Would this be less desireable been an auto or effect the resale at a later date?
    Also, how long does the nct site take to update? Site is saying no nct but guy is saying it does.

Toying with the idea of it but based in Dublin so fair trip down and back if wasn't as expected

Should it not be a 2 year cert too with the car being over 30 years old?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

“The car will come with a new NCT...”

Key phrase here being “WILL come with”

Have you spoken to the seller? I’d imagine he will offer to put an NCT on it if you leave him a deposit, or he will offer it to you with about a grand knocked off the price as a “goodwill gesture” on the basis that you buy it as-is and sort the NCT yourself. You go away then thinking you got a bargain but it’ll probably cost you €1500 to get it through an NCT.

That car is for sale a while now, the seller surely has had plenty of time to NCT it.

I don’t think it being automatic is a big drawback really. It was only the later model Supra that gained a huge following and on which a manual box is almost essential

Toying with the idea of it but based in Dublin so fair trip down and back if wasn't as expected

Auto should have no real impact on value at this stage, they were always a bit if a cruiser, well suited to auto IMHO.

I'd say there is no NCT on it yet, he is waiting for interest at that price - I usually see that as a negative, but that's just me. It could be fine.

I'm down that way towards the end of the week and could have a lookey if you are genuinely interested.

It's a lovely car, I'd be wondering why someone hasn't bitten the hand of him for it already.

“The car will come with a new NCT...”

Have you spoken to the seller?l

I did, originally ad wording was HAS 12 months test, nct site said no, I queried this and seller said he means it will be ncted, and then the ad was changed to say same.....fair enough just misworded. The nct exp date was then added after so I enquired again had he actually brought it now and he said his mechanic looked after it as he himself was busy etc. But site still says no nct.

I think that wording may have changed again now, Thought it said "car has nct till 24/7/20" hence why I queried it, asked did he bring it and why did he not get two years and said mechanic looked after etc he busy etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Unreguser wrote: »

I don't think you get a 2 year cert when it hits 30.

pablo128 wrote: »
    Unreguser wrote: »

I don't think you get a 2 year cert when it hits 30.
    No, he's right. Since last May, 30 -40 year cars get 2 year certs now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

Is this not the EXACT car Deane have marketed at €23,995??? Same spec, year and mileage. Jokers !!!!!! Holy God

Nothing showing on their website

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭LariToper

w124man wrote: »
    Nothing showing on their website

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0TH3W9i3Gj/

It is the same car, same wear patterns on the seats and same keyring. Some salesman markup he gives himself if he sells it!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 The bird man

Went to see that car when previously advertised. Was a lovely car but it was still uk registered which made it too dear for me. The price that Deans have it advertised for now is pretty accurate if you factor in the vrt...

• Registered Users Posts: 16 The bird man

Went to see the car when previously advertised and it was uk registered... I figure the price now includes vrt???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Garzard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Garzard wrote: »

That is a beaut, I remember Tony Pond / Rob Arthur rallying an SD1 in the Circuit of Ireland

Fabulous car, most of their faults have been repaired out of them by now. That just leaves their main weakness: rust.

Lack of NCT is a bit of a worry from that perspective. For €4500 it needs to be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Very tidy looking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I love those SD1's. But they can be money pits. One of the coolest cop cars ever made, almost a pleasure to be pulled over by one of them.

No NCT and the drivers door trim hanging off on a 'showroom' condition car leave a few questions.

Advertisement