Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Garzard

Gone already!

The ad was just 4 hours old I think when I posted it here - they must have been in a rush to get rid of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

oceanman wrote: »
    im not saying there is anything wrong with them...but they are hardly a classic!

they are classic FIAT! cheap bog standard motoring without being remotely dreary -

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭w124man

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    The 124 ce I bough a few weeks ago drove superbly, the only problem seemed to be a low idle that could let it stall when you lift off the trottle at roundabouts etc.

What engine is in the CE? M111 or M104?

KevRossi wrote: »
    W124 Convertible here for €5,500 which is very cheap, went through the NCT last week, valid until 08/20. I don't like the seats, but would live with them, steering wheel needs to be replaced.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-w-124-convertible/22172195

MTdmMjZmY2QxZjFmM2U4ZDg4ZDdhZDhhZDQyMjM5MzbHBujrckvzmaBQ7oeeRtVxaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjY2Njk5Mzl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This seems very cheap. Its not original but even still an E220 with cruise and electric heated seats is unusual. Maybe it has hood issues or something

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

w124man wrote: »
    What engine is in the CE? M111 or M104?

Its the M111 version.
    Was imported from the UK at some stage, where it was registered as K558 FYL.
    Has an "Alan Day, London" plaque riveted on beside the chassis number plate.

• Advertisement

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Its the M111 version.
    Was imported from the UK at some stage, where it was registered as K558 FYL.
    Has an "Alan Day, London" plaque riveted on beside the chassis number plate.

With the symptoms you describe you might have wiring loom issues

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1983-bmw-628csi-auto-e24/22589139

NGFkNTNkZGUxNTM0OTNkY2FkYWVhOTkzNmVjMmI0ZmKJKErVHu1wrRinuH0b_4WzaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjk3Njg4MjZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Surprised this hasn't sold, it seems very cheap for a decent-looking e24. NCT'd and all [€8500]

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It has no NCT, Duke.

And these cars are notorious for rot. Speculating here. The car looks good, is reasonable value for money if it's decent. I'd say a few people came to see it, had a poke around and said no thanks...

Hah, yeah. Odd that the seller mentions NCT when its out nearly a year.

It looks a tidy car in the photos anyway. Also old BMW owners/buyers almost always are the kind of people who expect a 20 grand car quality-wise, for 8 grand.

If I was in the market I'd go for a look at it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

unkel wrote: »
    It has no NCT, Duke.

And these cars are notorious for rot. Speculating here. The car looks good, is reasonable value for money if it's decent. I'd say a few people came to see it, had a poke around and said no thanks...
    also notorious for their chocolate soft engines and overheating problems..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

also notorious for their chocolate soft engines and overheating problems..

Are they?

It's a 628 which won't fetch as much as a 635 anyway.

I think oceanman mentioned that before. They might blow a head gasket after 20 years I think he said the last time :D

I've never owned a BMW with a M30 engine, but in my view this smooth straight 6 is the engine that made the reputation of BMW engines.

I think oceanman mentioned that before. They might blow a head gasket after 20 years I think he said the last time :D

I've never owned a BMW with a M30 engine, but in my view this smooth straight 6 is the engine that made the reputation of BMW engines.

My head gasket quit after 34 years (635). I also drove the car for years with no fan motor and it probably would overheat if stuck in traffic, but I don't do traffic. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

im just going by my own experience of early beamers having worked in the motor trade in the 80s/90s

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I'll be all over that as soon as my Nigerian uncle sends me through the cash. Any day now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Brutal advert even if ligate

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I suspect that 944 ad was put up by this fella.
    Not big on the punctuation!

s-l500.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Whats the car way back in the bushes?

• Advertisement

kadman wrote: »
    Whats the car way back in the bushes?

Hard to tell but at first glance I see a Beetle...

Can't tell the car in the bushes but doesn't the front light look far too square to be a beetle?

Car in the barn might be another Porsche. 928 S4 even?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Can't tell the car in the bushes but doesn't the front light look far too square to be a beetle?

Car in the barn might be another Porsche. 928 S4 even?

Car in the bushes could be a Hillman Hunter.

Car in the garage is a 944 IMHO, door handles are too low down for a 928.

im just going by my own experience of early beamers having worked in the motor trade in the 80s/90s

Fair enough. I just never heard those particular criticisms before.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

11wingnut wrote: »

That's just wow. Love that it has a ballhitch too!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

That's just something else really. Great find.

Hard to imagine it came out 45 years ago. The Golf really has aged remarkably well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Recently restored, build thread on autostadt for it which is a great read. There's a lot to be said for getting a car running/ road legal and enjoying it straight away rather than spending 5 years building a car you wont want to leave the shed

Advertisement