Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

elperello wrote: »

I remember that car when it was owned by it’s original owner, an elderly Irish teacher at a local school. Unfortunately I had no interest in it at that time :(

unkel wrote: »
    Never had an NCT. Good luck with that.

I can’t imagine anyone will spend near 10k on a car that has never had an NCT, no matter how clean it is

Also, lol @ “M Sport”!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Love these, Saab 900. If this was anyway right it's a good price :

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/saab-900-1983/23335731

I very much doubt it's anyway right. What's the problem in this country anyway with almost no 80s cars being for sale being road worthy / legal. The old Irish wink wink, ah sure it'll be grand? :rolleyes: Not pointed at you SmartinMartin in any way. Just getting sick of the tax / test dodgers in this country.

My '87 Mercedes passed the NCT test today. Valid until 30/11/2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Love these, Saab 900. If this was anyway right it's a good price :

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/saab-900-1983/23335731

With those horrible strombergs still in place, it's anything but right!

Only joking. That looks nice, but needs a good look over, especially without any test. I'd love one either way, but I'd say you'll be spending money if it hasn't seen an nct centre in 16 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

kev1.3s wrote: »
    https://www.classictrim.co.uk/dashtoprepair.html
    Never seen it up close and personal myself but these look good.

Looks a great job but wouldn't be cheap.
    I still reckon a cracked dash is a biggie.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Looks a great job but wouldn't be cheap.
    I still reckon a cracked dash is a biggie.

I had a lad in Spain who did a few (range rover and bmw e30's) dashes for me - he used the vacuum reskin method too - and you couldn't tell where the crack was because the whole dash looked brand new. He was significantly cheaper too - about €300 I think.

I only found him because he also repaired surfboards. The whole dashboard thing only came up in a chat! I only bought some of the cars because I knew he could fix them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

I very much doubt it's anyway right. What's the problem in this country anyway with almost no 80s cars being for sale being road worthy / legal. The old Irish wink wink, ah sure it'll be grand? :rolleyes: Not pointed at you SmartinMartin in any way. Just getting sick of the tax / test dodgers in this country.

My '87 Mercedes passed the NCT test today. Valid until 30/11/2021.
    but who is to say its not road worthy? the only way to surely know is to go and view it.

oceanman wrote: »
    but who is to say its not road worthy? the only way to surely know is to go and view it.

I think the only way to know it's roadworthy is a test.

But the road worthiness test only proves that the car is actually road worthy at the actual time of the test. They’ll tell you themselves, an NCT does not guarantee that the car will still be road worthy 2 miles down the road.

The only way to know is by going to view it

• Advertisement

But the road worthiness test only proves that the car is actually road worthy at the actual time of the test. They’ll tell you themselves, an NCT does not guarantee that the car will still be road worthy 2 miles down the road.

That's true and I know they can only test what they see for the most part but when spending a ball of money on a car I'd rather have one than not. Preferrably a fairly fresh one. Mechanical stuff can be sorted for the most part but rust/rot, and just plain ****boxes will be weeded out. Rot doesn't happen overnight or even months.
    I wouldn't be too fussed on cheap cars.
    I'm not saying not to view either but unless you have decent mechanical know how and get it up on a lift there's a lot of stuff that can be missed in a viewing.

The NCT is your best guide for deciding to view or not - it saves a lot of wasted time. While it's no guarantee of *absolute perfection*, it's a great generic leveller of all cars. If it has an NCT, it meets a minimum standard so while you may still need body, paint or interior work, you probably wont need a shovel to collect it.

Since an NCT can add huge value to a classic, it's a no brainer for sellers to make sure it's up to date. If it's not, then you can be certain that the work needed is going to cost more than the value added. There are exceptions (some people just get sick of a car and want rid) but it's a good rule to bear in mind.

Paying a grand extra for a car with a recent NCT could be the biggest bargain you'll get.

Since an NCT can add huge value to a classic, it's a no brainer for sellers to make sure it's up to date.

Seems not to be the case in Ireland though? The majority of 80s cars for sale one the likes of DoneDeal do not have an NCT. Yet in most cases the asking prices are the same as if the car had a current test. And I presume these cars do sell anyway as most of the ads disappear after a while? Bought by new owners who will also not NCT their car?

Maybe I'm wrong but it feels to me like a big wink wink situation. Be grand, no need for an NCT. And obviously there is almost zero enforcement of NCT

For once very different from the UK. Your car would have very little value over there without a current MOT

Seems not to be the case in Ireland though? The majority of 80s cars for sale one the likes of DoneDeal do not have an NCT. Yet in most cases the asking prices are the same as if the car had a current test. And I presume these cars do sell anyway as most of the ads disappear after a while? Bought by new owners who will also not NCT their car?

Maybe I'm wrong but it feels to me like a big wink wink situation. Be grand, no need for an NCT. And obviously there is almost zero enforcement of NCT

For once very different from the UK. Your car would have very little value over there without a current MOT

I take your point, but I mean it from a value point of view - what the car is worth. There are plenty of eejits out there who dont care about tests or tax, and maybe they pay over the odd, but I doubt it. But there isnt much you can do about that.

Look at that 7er up above, never had an nct and looking for €9k. That's mad, Ted.

It will probably sell, but for nothing like that. But we wont know..... By someone who probably wont nct it either!

It will probably sell, but for nothing like that. But we wont know..... By someone who probably wont nct it either!

Aye, that's my point :)

In most EU countries you'd be pretty much an outcast, an anti-social scumbag, for driving around without tax or test. And strong chances you would be found out and face the consequences.

Over here, not so much so...

The 96 fiesta I bought during the year had an NCT on it. It also had a folder of paperwork and every previous NCT cert as well. That kind of thing adds great value to the car.
    When it expired in August I booked it straight in for the test. It flew through it.

I also bought a 94 Starlet in reasonable nick for a few hundred that needs a bit of work without a test. Not the end of the world if it doesn't work out but when it's ready it'll be tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Full disclosure - I know the person selling this car. I know how much it cost them to buy and import it and they are selling it at a significant loss.

Not many examples to compare it to, but i think its a bargain AT €2200.

OThlYjVhM2U3ZTZiOTBiNTcyM2NhODQwY2UxNzM1ZTdcxMksva-O77nGsp-QIe_CaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzU2NDc2MTV8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-2-tercel-el31/23387022?campaign=3

the difference in the uk is people trust the mot, where here there is a deep mistrust of the nct, too much shenanigans goes on in nct test centers and nobody is held accountable.

the difference in the uk is people trust the mot, where here there is a deep mistrust of the nct, too much shenanigans goes on in nct test centers and nobody is held accountable.

From my own experience, I'd put a lot more trust in the NCT than an mot.

It's a lot easier to get a snide mot cert than a fake NCT I can tell you. Cheaper too.

(So I hear.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

I bought a renault floride with only 10k miles on it from a renault garage in uk ,, they would not give me car until it had a mot. Went to collect decided to bring trailer .. Car had a day old mot, But struggled to get on trailer as brakes seized .. Someone had tried to jump start it but only a 6v car so they blue the bulbs and the radio .. It had bad faded chrome in headlights but new ones in boxes with it (wrong ones ).. I was happy with it ..beautiful car. Gone missing now after a divorce.

From my own experience, I'd put a lot more trust in the NCT than an mot.

It's a lot easier to get a snide mot cert than a fake NCT I can tell you. Cheaper too.

(So I hear.)
    I don't know if there are many fake nct certs floating around. the certs are actually real...its the test that's fake if you get my drift.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I wouldn't trust the MOT for one second.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Tzardine wrote: »
    Full disclosure - I know the person selling this car. I know how much it cost them to buy and import it and they are selling it at a significant loss.

Not many examples to compare it to, but i think its a bargain AT €2200.

OThlYjVhM2U3ZTZiOTBiNTcyM2NhODQwY2UxNzM1ZTdcxMksva-O77nGsp-QIe_CaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzU2NDc2MTV8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-2-tercel-el31/23387022?campaign=3

Like that but it didn't last long on DD.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭jmreire

Here in Ireland, we have registered nct test centres dotted around the Country...but in England, I think ( but not sure) that any main dealer can carry out the MOT? If this is the case plenty of room for "flexibility" in issuing cert's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

jmreire wrote: »
    Here in Ireland, we have registered nct test centres dotted around the Country...but in England, I think ( but not sure) that any main dealer can carry out the MOT? If this is the case plenty of room for "flexibility" in issuing cert's.

I think there is still plenty of flexibility here too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I spoke to a gentleman recently who knew someone that might be able to "get me an NCT."

Have not come across that before. Couldn't deal with the idea of a fake test/cert - especially in the event of passing the car on to another owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

jmreire wrote: »

Yep, the UK MOT is worthless

kev1.3s wrote: »
    I think there is still plenty of flexibility here too.
    Agreed

Dades wrote: »
    I spoke to a gentleman recently who knew someone that might be able to "get me an NCT."

Have not come across that before. Couldn't deal with the idea of a fake test/cert - especially in the event of passing the car on to another owner.

Yeah, it happens alright. In most cases the idiots who pay for them would probably save themselves a few quid if they actually spent the money on their car

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »

Surely there is no corruption left in Ireland? :p

Advertisement