Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭elperello

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Walk around any show or field day and look at the "genuine" Irish registrations on cars it's an absolute joke, the tractors are even worse, there's no chance in hell any of those "classic enthusiasts" would pay for a 1950's Leitrim number. I am referring to ordinary people of course not the IVVCC snobs who look down their noses at anyone with an address outside the pale.

You are entitled to your opinions about the classic scene.

My modest proposal was that unused old pre 86 reg numbers should be sold at a fee for use on classic cars.

Anyone who wants one could buy one and the Government gets a small bit of extra revenue.

Surely that would be a win win?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,427 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

elperello wrote: »
    You are entitled to your opinions about the classic scene.

My modest proposal was that unused old pre 86 reg numbers should be sold at a fee for use on classic cars.

Anyone who wants one could buy one and the Government gets a small bit of extra revenue.

Surely that would be a win win?

Knowing civil servants the cost of administering such a scheme would exceed any revenue generated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Knowing civil servants the cost of administering such a scheme would exceed any revenue generated.

Probably:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,427 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Wrong.

well that is a full and detailed answer that is in no way just a knee-jerk reaction. care to explain why it is wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

well that is a full and detailed answer that is in no way just a knee-jerk reaction. care to explain why it is wrong?

We already issue number plates.

It's not beyond the wit that the processes and costs will remain the same and the uptick in revenue per plate is what is changing.

We issue number plates to vehicles not to people. The system people are proposing is personalised plate system, it would have to legislated for in the statue books I can't see the powers that be being bothered tbh.

We issue number plates to vehicles not to people. The system people are proposing is personalised plate system, it would have to legislated for in the statue books I can't see the powers that be being bothered tbh.

People are proposing that instead of a ZV 10824 plate going on a pre-86 import that we have AZH 824 and its ilk go on them instead.

People are proposing that instead of a ZV 10824 plate going on a pre-86 import that we have AZH 824 and its ilk go on them instead.

Age related plates might work but if they're going that far they might as well let someone buy a number and keep it for their personal use, anyway it's all just talk as it'll never happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Age related plates might work but if they're going that far they might as well let someone buy a number and keep it for their personal use, anyway it's all just talk as it'll never happen.

They already sell personalised plates for new cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

We already issue number plates.

It's not beyond the wit that the processes and costs will remain the same and the uptick in revenue per plate is what is changing.

Current price for a personalised plate is €1,000 which is prohibitive/off putting for most people. At the height of the boom in 2008, they sold just under 1,800 plates at €315 a pop, today it's probably around 100 at €1,000 a pop. https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/cu-for-1-of-the-personalised-number-plates-costing-1000-428425.html

At present, personalised plates are only available to those who purchase a new car, it would make sense for the option to be available for all. But they should also ensure that the plate remains the property of the government to prevent a very small amount of people making a large amount of money off them and to ensure a continuous stream of revenue.

Sweden charges about €650 for 10 years for a plate, after this it returns to the government and can be sold/leased on again.

How many people do you think would have their names, county, club etc. on a plate if it was offered at a price of €65 per year? I would think it would hit 50-100,000, thus bringing in €6.5m per year using the Swedish system.

It needs a bit of imagination and new legislation for this, while they're at it they could cut down on plates being available to anybody walking in off the street, photo ID and log book would be a minimum for newly printed plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

KevRossi wrote: »
    Current price for a personalised plate is €1,000 which is prohibitive/off putting for most people. At the height of the boom in 2008, they sold just under 1,800 plates at €315 a pop, today it's probably around 100 at €1,000 a pop. https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/cu-for-1-of-the-personalised-number-plates-costing-1000-428425.html

At present, personalised plates are only available to those who purchase a new car, it would make sense for the option to be available for all. But they should also ensure that the plate remains the property of the government to prevent a very small amount of people making a large amount of money off them and to ensure a continuous stream of revenue.

Sweden charges about €650 for 10 years for a plate, after this it returns to the government and can be sold/leased on again.

How many people do you think would have their names, county, club etc. on a plate if it was offered at a price of €65 per year? I would think it would hit 50-100,000, thus bringing in €6.5m per year using the Swedish system.

It needs a bit of imagination and new legislation for this, while they're at it they could cut down on plates being available to anybody walking in off the street, photo ID and log book would be a minimum for newly printed plates.
    Anyone that would buy a plate here must have more money than sense. Sure all you can do is book the number. You still have to have the 191D. The ones in the Uk are a bit tacky I think although the best one I saw was on a convertible Roller ‘BL1NG’.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

emeldc wrote: »
    Anyone that would buy a plate here must have more money than sense. Sure all you can do is book the number. You still have to have the 191D. The ones in the Uk are a bit tacky I think although the best one I saw was on a convertible Roller ‘BL1NG’.

Which is why a system of fully personalised plates would change all of that, you frop the county and year and put on it whatever you want (subject to decency rules).

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The ones in the Uk are a bit tacky I think although the best one I saw was on a convertible Roller ‘BL1NG’.

A blonde good looking (but a bit trashy) lady in her 40s in a bright red Mercedes CLK convertible with the reg PENI5, I kid you not! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭jmreire

unkel wrote: »
    A blonde good looking (but a bit trashy) lady in her 40s in a bright red Mercedes CLK convertible with the reg PENI5, I kid you not! :D

Is she trying to make a statement ??? :cool: :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭w124man

jmreire wrote: »
    Is he trying to make a statement ??? :cool: :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Corrected that for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭jmreire

w124man wrote: »
    Corrected that for you :)

Ah, no, I don't think so, not according to Unkel anyway......"A blonde good looking (but a bit trashy) lady in her 40s " She is not exactly living up to the Nr plate, except maybe wish full thinking?? Of course unless it's the boyfriends car she is driving, and he's not exactly the shy retiring type??? ;););)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1971-fiat-124-sport/23393522

OGMxNGY3MDg4MGE1Y2ZmNzQ0OTM5NTZmOWJjNjAzNDGJtAEFdN6GFoztVsqoywwMaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzY0MDk4MDJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

€2700

I wonder what this is like in the flesh?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

That is a tempter alright. Seems a good price

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1971-fiat-124-sport/23393522

OGMxNGY3MDg4MGE1Y2ZmNzQ0OTM5NTZmOWJjNjAzNDGJtAEFdN6GFoztVsqoywwMaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzY0MDk4MDJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

€2700

I wonder what this is like in the flesh?

It's gone anyway!

---

I love when "Arthur Daley" pops in here to comment on machines like that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

oceanman wrote: »

Looks lovely but what could those chrome sills be hiding?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭elperello

kev1.3s wrote: »

No sign of a garage also, but at that price well worth a look.

kev1.3s wrote: »

Rubber bumpers are GACK!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Rubber bumpers are GACK!!!

WTF was he thinking of. They're hideous looking.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I assume he didn't fit them and they came on the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

They dont look like they fit quite right, eg under the rear lights

edit - having looked at some examples, it seems normal, still looks cr@p imho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Most of the rubber bumper versions look like that from what I have seen. Very cheap, and I would imagine under that chrome strip may be the reason, but would still be tempted to take a look at it.

• Advertisement

Rubber bumpers were USA spec weren't they ?

Advertisement