Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

That's class.

What was the position of the gearstick about?

I'm assuming it was meant to be chauffeur driven for a start?

Edit: "In the front, buyers could choose between two single seats and the optional full width bench seat, with the front corner of the seat squab contoured so as to accommodate the gear lever and allow seating for three."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riley_Pathfinder

You’d wonder why they didn’t just give them column gears

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

KevRossi wrote: »
    This ad is 1988 according to the blog, UK price. Seems they sold a total of 350,000 in the UK and Ireland in the 80's-early 90's. 1988 was the peak year.

LADA.jpg

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/w329dyr/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Would it have cost that much brand new?
    How much was the Mini? Less than 1k I guess. Same for many cars sold a few decades ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

unkel wrote: »
    Well said. Not often do you get a true classic car, a desirable model, for reasonable money, with an NCT and with an ad as well presented as that. Hope he gets his full asking price, he deserves it.

She's a lovely car. Pity if you look closer you can see red overspray from poor masking on both front and rear window seals. Such a pity to go to the trouble of a respray and to make a balls of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

€4500, anyone feeling brave?

It's a bargain. A few of us club together? :)

I'd go a grand with 3 others!

Can't believe its still for sale. There must be something up with it.

This one looks nice for 6, although it was 5700 last week from the same seller. I'd say it could be got close to 5.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1973-rolls-royce-silver-shadow-mk-i-6-75-v8/23596328

NTNhNTcxZDllZDI4Mzc2NzVmY2ZlYzA0ZDk2NTA0ZTd2H2y5h4_YH98JTlU5tIclaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzcxOTQ1NzR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

I'd image it's seen it's fair share of matrimonials in it's day

I'd go a grand with 3 others!

I'd be up for that too. You reckon we can make that work somehow? Obviously some sort of gentleman's agreement. It can be added to one of our classic insurance policies for peanuts. The others can drive it (3rd party) if they have "driving other cars". Obviously, you crash it, you pay the others out.

Tax is nothing. The purchase price is what it is. Split 4 ways or something like that. I doubt we will fight over who wants the car when. That can be easily organised. What's left is maintenance and storage.

Thoughts?

Anyone done this before? Any tips?

• Advertisement

I've seen it done before on a UK forum, but the cost was a fraction of 4k and the car was only a Citoren Visa..

I suppose a gentleman's agreement would be in order alright. You are a regular and respected poster, as am I (I hope :pac:)...and surely there are two others who would come on board. A grand each, if it runs and drives you could have a good laugh in it over the summer...maybe even longer. You'd probably make money on it if you sold at the right time of the year...or better still, enter it into a classic auction (with a reserve) at Merlin if one comes up at the end of the year or sometime next year? That could be interesting..

I have storage and a space for a bit of DIYing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I've seen it done before on a UK forum, but the cost was a fraction of 4k and the car was only a Citoren Visa..

I suppose a gentleman's agreement would be in order alright. You are a regular and respected poster, as am I (I hope :pac:)...and surely there are two others who would come on board. A grand each, if it runs and drives you could have a good laugh in it over the summer...maybe even longer. You'd probably make money on it if you sold at the right time of the year...or better still, enter it into a classic auction (with a reserve) at Merlin if one comes up at the end of the year or sometime next year? That could be interesting..

I have storage and a space for a bit of DIYing.

Wafting around in that would be class.

Hope ye do it!

---

499684.JPG

Is the lining coming away here?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

It's a bargain. A few of us club together? :)

I might consider this depending on where the rest of the owners were based.

South Dublin here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

This seems like decent value. Anyone know much about these cars?

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/23875922

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Can't believe its still for sale. There must be something up with it.

The paintwork is very new looking that would worry me a little before going looking at it as it could be hiding a lot of rust. If it's not full of filler could be a nice old dame to have.

Ye could take turns doing weddings, one weekend each and you've most of your investment back.

I'd love to put money into some kind of club with perks through a pension, something that gives access to, cars, boats, hotels that kind of thing. A Classic car rental business for example.

South Dublin here

North wexford here so that's not a million miles away

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

provided the location suited and we could cover some basic ground rules I might be able to make it work - (insurance would be a worry)

a Roller is the sort of thing that's normally too silly for me to try, but if I had some co-idiots it might just work !

maybe we should delegate someone to go have a look and make a decision ?

RobAMerc wrote: »
    a Roller is the sort of thing that's normally too silly for me to try, but if I had some co-idiots it might just work !

This is is exactly :D

I don't think insurance is an issue. The car will have to be formally owned by one person, who will add it to their existing classic insurance. This typically costs no more than €30 - €100 per year fully comp

All the other "owners" do need to have insurance where they can specifically "drive other cars" that don't belong to them. This insurance is third party only, so if you crash the RR and write it off, you will have to compensate the other "owners"

So far, so simple.

The only complications I can think of is what happens with maintenance (when something costing serious money happens) and what happens when one of the "owners" wants out

I'm in Lucan myself, but I suppose the only location that matters is where the car is stored. If you don't mind driving up from Cork to have a few hours in your Roller, you can be in as far as I'm concerned

Ye could take turns doing weddings, one weekend each and you've most of your investment back.

PSV license & appropriate insurance might make that less then easy & financially unviable.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

kev1.3s wrote: »

That was gorgeous once. Shame on whoever let it get that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

This is is exactly :D

I don't think insurance is an issue. The car will have to be formally owned by one person, who will add it to their existing classic insurance. This typically costs no more than €30 - €100 per year fully comp

All the other "owners" do need to have insurance where they can specifically "drive other cars" that don't belong to them. This insurance is third party only, so if you crash the RR and write it off, you will have to compensate the other "owners"

My main car policy wont cover cars over 20 years old (usual nonsense) and I dont know if my classic policy has "other cars" but I doubt it.
    Also given my callsic policy is for 5k miles a year, how do they track the mileage I do in the roller ??
    I'm in no way trying to be awkward - I just dont wanna buy something I cant use !
    The only complications I can think of is what happens with maintenance (when something costing serious money happens) and what happens when one of the "owners" wants out

Agreed, but a good bit of that can be sorted out beforehand.

I'm in Lucan myself, but I suppose the only location that matters is where the car is stored. If you don't mind driving up from Cork to have a few hours in your Roller, you can be in as far as I'm concerned

Agreed

RobAMerc wrote: »
    My main car policy wont cover cars over 20 years old (usual nonsense) and I dont know if my classic policy has "other cars" but I doubt it.
    Also given my callsic policy is for 5k miles a year, how do they track the mileage I do in the roller ??
    I'm in no way trying to be awkward - I just dont wanna buy something I cant use !

Agreed, but a good bit of that can be sorted out beforehand.

Agreed

I think all potential owners will have to meet up and agree the terms to the "gentleman's agreement".
    Does any potential owner have storage they can offer?

I have storage five minutes off the Naas road

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Markcheese wrote: »
    Was quite impressed by this,... Till I saw the interior colour....

I thought the front wing and door colours were a tad different. Could be daylight trickery though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Bootlid doesn't shut right. Is the rear of the spare wheel well a bit bent?

Colour is fine by me, but that colour can fade in strong sunlight. Car overall looks a bit pricey, looks to have been a bit of a workhorse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

The paintwork is very new looking that would worry me a little before going looking at it as it could be hiding a lot of rust. If it's not full of filler could be a nice old dame to have.

I'd love to put money into some kind of club with perks through a pension, something that gives access to, cars, boats, hotels that kind of thing. A Classic car rental business for example.

These days you cant simply 'do weddings' and make any money, never mind your money back. In the same way you cant simply buy a car, turn it into a taxi and watch the money roll in.
    Legislation has put a hold on those dreams....

Advertisement