Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

unkel wrote: »
    In fairness, you can't really blame people for not adhering to the law, if the law is not enforced. It's human nature to cut corners. To see what you can get away with.

I've never seen so many untaxed / untested cars as in Ireland. In this country, even if you have to appear in court, you get away scot free unless the other party can prove they have physically served you with a notice :p

In other jurisdictions, all cars are tested and taxed. Or else you are almost guaranteed to be in trouble.

It’s true enforcement wasn’t up to scratch but I think that’s changing. 6500 cases of penalty points issued for no NCT last year. An increase of 15% on the previous year.
    https://www.newstalk.com/news/191000-penalty-point-notices-issued-drivers-last-year-951856
    I’m surprised that some people have a lax attitude with classic regarding an NCT.
    Would the same people have the same attitude driving a “normal “ car?
    I don’t see the difference tbh. Ain’t no classic car lanes.

Again I’m not trying to have a pop. I’m just, well, a tad bewildered/disappointed.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

unkel wrote: »
    In other jurisdictions, all cars are tested and taxed. Or else you are almost guaranteed to be in trouble.

In other jurisdictions you are guaranteed to be in trouble if you drive with worn out tyres or lights not working. It is all about enforcement on the road.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I was to see a car today, classic. But it has no nct and the owner e mailed me that I can
    test drive it at my own risk, if i want

I thought about this and realised that my insurance wont cover me in the event of an accident
    with a classic car (post82) that has no nct.

So that effectively puts untested post 80 classics off my shopping list then.

So how can i test drive an untested post 80 car, or can I??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

kadman wrote: »
    So how can i test drive an untested post 80 car, or can I??
    I guess you would have to find an insurance company that would cover you. It may be tricky.
    Or let the owner drive it. Not great, but better than no test drive at all.

Seweryn wrote: »
    I guess you would have to find an insurance company that would cover you. It may be tricky.
    Or let the owner drive it. Not great, but better than no test drive at all.

Agreed.

But its something you take for granted when you test drive a post 80 classic,
    keenness to testdrive sometimes clouds our judgement:D

But test driving it is part of the buying process, and you can tell a lot from the drivers seat.

• Advertisement

Dont get me wrong, my insurance covers me to drive other vehicles.
    But if they are required by law, to have an nct, then they must have it,
    otherwise I am not covered.

So presumably should I have an accident in such a vehicle on a test drive,
    then the owner is at a loss, and responsible for allowing his vehicle to be driven
    on the road with no NCT...

Am i right in my thinking of this???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭w124man

Certainly this is the case if you are insured with AXA. No NCT, no cover unless you are heading to get the NCT done or coming back having failed it!

From my enquiries of other family members and their insurance, its the same as well.
    Its a bit of a heads up then for both buyers and sellers.

I suppose it makes perfect sense when you think of it.

But how many of us have taken vehicles for a test drive without really giving it
    a little bit more thought. I know i have.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Yeah, it’s not really something I’ve ever given much thought to, either for test driving something myself or allowing someone to test drive something of my own..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

So presumably should I have an accident in such a vehicle on a test drive,
    then the owner is at a loss, and responsible for allowing his vehicle to be driven
    on the road with no NCT...

Am i right in my thinking of this???

You're covered on insurance if the car is legally on the road. That's the clincher.

A car can only be legally on the road with no NCT:

a) if it's on the way to or from an NCT or
    b) on the way to or from repairs (and it has an NCT booked).

So assuming you booked an NCT for it before you go for the test drive you would be covered by saying it was going for repairs etc.

Then cancel it if need be etc.

---

I did this incidentally when I went to test a car from Duke. As always it's your responsibility as the driver of the car.

• Advertisement

AS we are both buyers and sellers of such vehicles, we might have to think a bit more on it, definitely dont want to get caught out.

I know i will be, I have a couple of lads calling tomorrow to test my 87 camper, but it does have a 2 year CVRT:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Me too but who in the name of God would bring a car up a dead end laneway to take photos......:confused:

Phone pics are very poor for a classic car like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

If I'm brutally honest, it's a base model, windy window, black bumper, wheel trimmed, small engined car for top money. For the price I'd be expecting a 5 cylinder with some sort of spec.

Those photos were taken by Deane Motors 2 years ago when it was first for sale

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Just on topic of classic insurance. If your car is on a classic policy.your son\brother\etc will not be covered to drive your classic under the 3rd party insurance section of their own policy. Sorry if off topic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Why do people go on about keeping up with modern traffic in these ads. It's an 1988 Audi 80. Not an 1898 De dion Bouton.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Why do people go on about keeping up with modern traffic in these ads. It's an 1988 Audi 80. Not an 1898 De dion Bouton.

Because your average Boardsie wasn't born till 1995... an 1988 car is practically pre historic.....

Those photos were taken by Deane Motors 2 years ago when it was first for sale

I found them hard to get info from myself, some nice stock tho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

Just on topic of classic insurance. If your car is on a classic policy.your son\brother\etc will not be covered to drive your classic under the 3rd party insurance section of their own policy. Sorry if off topic

Why not, my extension says I can drive any car as long as I don't own it and am not renting if and I'm lisenced to drive it and I have the owners permission

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

mine doesnt cover me to drive anything over 20 years old. insurance company being wan*kers. I only know because I needed to drive the neighbours car and for some reason decided to call and make sure! Not sure what it has to do with the car being insured under a classic policy, might be to do with age i.e. if it qualifies for classic insurance its too old to be insured under 3rd party "drive other cars"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭jmreire

Why not, my extension says I can drive any car as long as I don't own it and am not renting if and I'm lisenced to drive it and I have the owners permission

Yes but does it say that there has to be valid insurance cover already on the vehicle? IE: the owner will have to have his own insurance on it? And even then, it will only 3rd party cover, and not comprehensive??

pablo128 wrote: »
    If I'm brutally honest, it's a base model, windy window, black bumper, wheel trimmed, small engined car for top money. For the price I'd be expecting a 5 cylinder with some sort of spec.

Agree, lovely car and no doubt an excellent example but a bit dear for what it is. I know where a man might get a lovely similar vintage Porsche and save save himself €3k at the same time :)

back on topic ;)

Nice Pug
    Find it hard to believe these are 30.

I think a quick drive in this and you'd agree.

I know where a man might get a lovely similar vintage Porsche and save save himself €3k at the same time :)

tell yer Dad to keep her till Sunday Duke :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Agree, lovely car and no doubt an excellent example but a bit dear for what it is. I know where a man might get a lovely similar vintage Porsche and save save himself €3k at the same time :)

Aye but it has a test...

* runs *

---
    RobAMerc wrote: »
    back on topic ;)

Nice Pug

I think this has me hankering now after a 406. They still look great. Bar the double-00s, Peugeot don't really do ugly and the designs age gracefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

My dad decided that he would go for a spin in mine which is on a classic policy with first Ireland. When I pointed out that he might not be covered he checked with his insur,since and was told because it was on a classic policy his third party driving of other cars wouldn't cover him.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

My dad decided that he would go for a spin in mine which is on a classic policy with first Ireland. When I pointed out that he might not be covered he checked with his insur,since and was told because it was on a classic policy his third party driving of other cars wouldn't cover him.
    mine doesnt cover me to drive anything over 20 years old.

I wonder would that be the case too for people with a classic policy where "driving other cars" is also a perk of the policy - I always presumed I could drive any other car under the "driving other cars" on my classic policy as long as the other car didn't belong to me and I wasn't driving commercially. I knew the cover is only ever just 3rd party though. Better check this out.

This could also have implications on our thoughts of "sharing" a classic car

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

back on topic ;)

Nice Pug

Well worth that price. That is my idea of a classic car. A car I couldn't have afforded when they were current, but is now attainable, and insurable.

Advertisement