Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I know somewhere on my daily driver policy, I can drive other cars.

IIRC it also mentions something about " for purpose of repair" or something or other.

Will have to look now,

at all that bloody small print

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

pablo128 wrote: »
    Well worth that price. That is my idea of a classic car. A car I couldn't have afforded when they were current, but is now attainable, and insurable.

I had a 106xsi and 106 gti, and drove so many 205 gti's I was "going to buy" its not funny.
    Peugeot at that point really knew how a chassis should be set up and I think while BMW and Alfa kinda coined the phrase "sports saloon" this probably was the pinacle of the genre at that time. Remember the 306 gti from around then too was a cracker. They had the full set !

If it was 6 months older... with brexit etc it would be a bit too much hastle for me at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

RobAMerc wrote: »
    back on topic ;)

Nice Pug
    Find it hard to believe these are 30.

I think a quick drive in this and you'd agree.

I had a 93 GRDT (turbo diesel) 405 a few years ago. Absolutely one of the best cars I had. Comfy, quick, just a cracking car. Couldn’t justify tax at the time, miss it dearly

RobAMerc wrote: »
    tell yer Dad to keep her till Sunday Duke :)

I’ll clear the diary!

Aye but it has a test...

* runs *

---

I think this has me hankering now after a 406. They still look great. Bar the double-00s, Peugeot don't really do ugly and the designs age gracefully.

Try and get a 405 if you can, they really are class

This looks a nice 406 though

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/23841604

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Try and get a 405 if you can, they really are class

This looks a nice 406 though

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/23841604

I'm keeping my powder dry til the summer. That 406 (and the 405 above) is a cracker though for that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

If any one is looking for a good Mercedes 190, I can highly recommend the one Unkel is selling. He was kind enough to give me and my Dad a viewing this morning and I was very impressed. The engine is so smooth and started up first try on a freezing cold morning and the car itself drives perfectly. Its like a modern car the way it drives down the road. I would have bought it on the spot, but my Dad was more on the lookout for an MGB GT, which we ended up buying later that afternoon, but if a 190 is what you are looking for you wont go far wrong.

Any thoughts on this gents? Seems like it could be a manageable daily driver?

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/23510415

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

worth a punt for that money if its free from rust underneath..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Looks very good and clean. Must have been very well minded, as the mileage is average for age (750k km).

They are good cars, well protected against corrosion, simple to work on and generally reliable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

Seweryn wrote: »
    Looks very good and clean. Must have been very well minded, as the mileage is average for age (750k km).

They are good cars, well protected against corrosion, simple to work on and generally reliable.

What would you classify as high mileage?? That’s the highest mileage car I’ve ever seen advertised

Casati wrote: »
    What would you classify as high mileage??
    At least 30k km per year would be rather high. Still, some people cover twice that.

Casati wrote: »
    That’s the highest mileage car I’ve ever seen advertised
    That is rather positive. If the car lasted so well, it means it has been properly maintained and will keep on going if kept that way.
    It is quite normal for cars from that era, they are capable of covering over a 1mln km. The key is regular servicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Love it. Looks especially well minded particularly for white.
    I spotted that the other day and I'm surprised it's still there. The milage could be putting people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

It would seem that it was a taxi on the Isle of Wight for many years. It certainly clocked up the miles during it's use there.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

kadman wrote: »

Last time it passed the NCT was 18 years ago
    WILL NEED VERY SMALL AMOUNT OF WORK
    And a little TLC

Sure :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,513 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I'd prefer this, proper engine, and I like the avant, works out considerably more though, considerably less mileage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

jmreeire wrote: »
    Yes but does it say that there has to be valid insurance cover already on the vehicle? IE: the owner will have to have his own insurance on it? And even then, it will only 3rd party cover, and not comprehensive??

No doesn't need insurance and yes too,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭jmreire

No doesn't need insurance and yes too,

YES and NO...Than basically sum's up the insurance "Industry" here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

My commercial policy and private policy covers me third party to drive anything I don't own as long as the vehicle has it's own valid policy. That's with AXA. I'd assume most policies have the same conditions.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/audi-80-1-8s-auto-nct04-20-1owner31yrs/23990478

YWZiN2RiMDIwNDY2NGVkYzU3ODQ4M2JkY2QwZjRlYjawtrC_3pJdrb0ShBT9gAr1aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDAxNjIwMDJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

ZGIyZGEwNTlhMTI1MDcyYmZkOWM4ZTkwMWM2YzQ5M2WjAnghQPase10Uh8sYXCpfaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDAxNjIzNTF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This looks lovely. Perhaps not the most exciting thing out there, but it could make a very nice classic daily driver. €2950

• Registered Users Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭jmreire

You could do a lot worse that that Audi 80, for sure !!! Lovely car.:D

That is very nice find. The only downside is the transmission, but if you can live with it, why not?

Looks nice, my father bought one very like it brand new in '89. Boggo 1.6 manual that was, but a lovely dark navy metallic

Not sure what the owner's point is showing two pictures of service history that ended nearly 20 years ago. Also who knows when it had its last MOT and the car has never had an NCT. I guess that's no problem for a new owner who doesn't bother with NCTs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

kaizersoze wrote: »
    My commercial policy and private policy covers me third party to drive anything I don't own as long as the vehicle has it's own valid policy. That's with AXA. I'd assume most policies have the same conditions.

With RSA the other car doesn't have to have its own policy, handy if you're in a pickle.

I’m guessing if the car never had an actual NCT, it would be safe to say that’s it’s last MOT was in April of 2019?

I’m guessing if the car never had an actual NCT, it would be safe to say that’s it’s last MOT was in April of 2019?

How did you figure that one out without the UK reg, or can you make out the reg somewhere from the service history?

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    How did you figure that one out without the UK reg, or can you make out the reg somewhere from the service history?

It has NCT until April 2020, so I’m guessing it was imported recently and had its current MOT exchanged for an NCT. And an MOT test is valid for a year of course

Advertisement