Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It has NCT until April 2020

???

It doesn't have any NCT and never had one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

The ad mentions NCT until April anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

unkel wrote: »
    ???

It doesn't have any NCT and never had one.

If you try to book it for an NCT, it states that it's due 09/05/2019 which should mean it had an NCT at some stage.
    And as the ad itself says that it's NCT'd till 04/20, maybe the NCT site has not updated itself yet.

swarlb wrote: »
    If you try to book it for an NCT, it states that it's due 09/05/2019 which should mean it had an NCT at some stage.

No, that's not the way it works. Any car first registered on 01/01/1980 or after on Irish plates will have an NCT due date, even if it never had an NCT before
    The ad mentions NCT until April anyway
    swarlb wrote: »
    And as the ad itself says that it's NCT'd till 04/20, maybe the NCT site has not updated itself yet.

It's possible. NCT website is updated pretty quickly though, but maybe the car passed the test in the last day or so. We'll know for sure in another few days, if the NCT site suddenly shows a valid cert, then the seller was telling the truth :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

It's still not showing an NCT. I'm with Unkel here, it looks like that poor Audi has never darkened the doors of an NCT centre while on this island.

• Advertisement

It’s odd alright, and I notice there is no NCT cert in the window at all.

Can’t understand what the seller stands to gain by lying about 4 months test though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

It has NCT until April 2020, so I’m guessing it was imported recently and had its current MOT exchanged for an NCT. And an MOT test is valid for a year of course

im guessing that the reg 88ww11nnn was one of the ones issued around 2009 - 2011 when they skipped the sequences on imported cars?

Can’t understand what the seller stands to gain by lying about 4 months test though!

If they were honest and said their car never had an NCT and there's no chance it would pass a test, then nobody would come and see the car :D

I suppose if someone was so hung up on an NCT ticket in the window they could always increase their budget accordingly and buy the €6500 example in Cork..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Sure I thought we'd established the going price for an NCT was 500 quid (of which €445 is profit) :D

The last few pages has been a trip down memory lane for me. My old man owned an Audi 100, Audi 80, and a Pug 406 in that order.

After 10 years I finally drove the Audi 80 to its grave (following weeks of that annoying buzz and aladdin's lamp thing flashing on the dash :pac:). Loved it though. Had some great times in it. 1989 1.8L... colour: Champagne.

I hated the Peugeot just found it bland bland bland. It was Irish spec though. to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

I suppose if someone was so hung up on an NCT ticket in the window they could always increase their budget accordingly and buy the €6500 example in Cork..

And you have those strange people who are hung up on not breaking the law:)

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

And you have those strange people who are hung up on not breaking the law:)

Indubitably. Those persons ought to up their budget accordingly so. Can’t be having champagne tastes on a lemonade budget

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Indubitably. Those persons ought to up their budget accordingly so. Can’t be having champagne tastes on a lemonade budget

Some of us like a mimosa

Some of us like a mimosa

More of a Linden Village man myself

You keep saying that, but I disagree. On a base model '89 Audi 80 with an asking price of €3k, I would expect a long NCT

Without NCT a realistic asking price would barely be €2k if the car was looking to be in excellent condition

All due respect but, taste should have nothing to do with it. The Road Traffic Act ain’t a la carte menu.

Okay, but if you specifically want a clean and tidy, 30+ y/o Audi 80 tomorrow your options (from donedeal) are: the above example for 3k, the red one in Cork for 6500, or a LHD 1.8 with a creased quarter panel for 2k.

There’s no point in giving out to the seller of the first one because it has no NCT. Tough! It has none. If you want one with test, buy the 6500 and if you can’t afford it, work harder or readjust your expectations.

Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t pay 3k for it myself (I thought it was NCT’d when I posted it at first). You’d be hard pressed to find a tidy 80s car with good history and long NCT these days (with the exception of your 190 I guess) for 3k or less. That’s just the way things are, that’s the way the market is, the majority of owners don’t bother with it and people need to either get used to it or spend more money on a car that is NCT’d.

All due respect but, taste should have nothing to do with it. The Road Traffic Act ain’t a la carte menu.

Well that’s the way it is. A large percentage of older cars for sale aren’t NCT’d, you (not directing this at you specifically) either buy one of those or spend much more money on an NCT’d example, and if you can’t do the latter, wind your neck in until you can afford it

Okay, but if you specifically want a clean and tidy, 30+ y/o Audi 80 tomorrow your options (from donedeal) are: the above example for 3k, the red one in Cork for 6500, or a LHD 1.8 with a creased quarter panel for 2k.

There’s no point in giving out to the seller of the first one because it has no NCT. Tough! It has none. If you want one with test, but the 6500 and if you can’t afford it, work harder or readjust your expectations.

Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t pay 3k for it myself (I thought it was NCT’d when I posted it at first). You’d be hard pressed to find a tidy 80s car with good history and long NCT these days (with the exception of your 190 I guess) for 3k or less. That’s just the way things are, that’s the way the market is, the majority of owners don’t bother with it and people need to either get used to it or spend more money on a car that is NCT’d.

You seem to be having trouble accepting that driving a car without an NCT is illegal. Doesn’t matter how cheap it is compared to a similar car with a test, it’s still illegal. Taste or expectations have nothing to do with it.

Well that’s the way it is. A large percentage of older cars for sale aren’t NCT’d, you (not directing this at you specifically) either buy one of those or spend much more money on an NCT’d example, and if you can’t do the latter, wind your neck in until you can afford it

Your condescending tone aside I completely agree.

• Advertisement

You seem to be having trouble accepting that driving a car without an NCT is illegal. Doesn’t matter how cheap it is compared to a similar car with a test, it’s still illegal. Taste or expectations have nothing to do with it.

No, no trouble with that. All of my cars have current NCT. If someone so hung up on the matter can’t afford the more expensive NCT’d example they are still free to buy the un-NCT’d example and not drive it until it passes.

Or they could just wait and save their pennies until their budget matches their expectations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Guys you dont need an nct to sell a car, you only need one to drive it. If you wanted the car badly enough, the lack of nct is a big hefty stick to beat the price down with, unless it's bottom dollar already.

In my view the Audi with no nct is well overpriced, and the 924 is well underpriced even without a ticket. You would do well to find a rust free 924 shell with a good gearbox let alone a driving car for 3k.

You could go over to England and find an Audi for peanuts.

I looked after a few calls for the 924 since it went up, and to be honest the majority of calls were from total idiots. Only had positive experiences with anyone who actually viewed it (including two boardsies, who may or may not make themselves known :)). It can't realistically be faulted, and it still hasn't sold because anyone who actually did come to see it couldn't buy it for practical reasons (too many cars, uncomfortable seating position etc).

I think my father is going to give it to me to store for him for a few months. I have a nice, dry garage that it can stay in until the height of summer. He can either drive it and enjoy it then, or sell it for a lot more than 3k.

I might even NCT it while I have it :)

The timing is probably pretty bad. January of all months. I guess the start of spring is a much better time to sell a classic in Ireland? That said, I sold my last W201 in January too :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I have always found selling on Dungdeal is a complete assault on your sanity:D

Its just hard bloody work:)

kadman wrote: »
    I have always found selling on Dungdeal is a complete assault on your sanity:D

You haven't tried adverts yet then? :D

The timing is probably pretty bad. January of all months. I guess the start of spring is a much better time to sell a classic in Ireland? That said, I sold my last W201 in January too :D

I think in June or July it will do well on Donedeal. You find a lot of folks will buy classics on impulse around then, with the good weather and it being the height of show season. Also, who doesn’t want to drive around in a Porsche during the summer? It has a huge removable sunroof for just the occasion

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

You haven't tried adverts yet then? :D

Currently got a camper there. Dont get me started on adverts please.
    Its like a frontal lobotomy with no anesthetic:D:D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

unfit2006 wrote: »
    It would seem that it was a taxi on the Isle of Wight for many years. It certainly clocked up the miles during it's use there.

Aye it was, I've been in it! Was just over ten years ago when I was on my honeymoon. The auld fella kept it immaculate. the "DL" in the plate is Isle of Wight btw.

Last seen on Copart & Ebay. Wondered when it would show up again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

It has NCT until April 2020, so I’m guessing it was imported recently and had its current MOT exchanged for an NCT. And an MOT test is valid for a year of course

Just to settle this argument lads on the Audi - 88WW11024.

It doesn't have a NCT, nor an exchange. It does have a current MOT.

Last November I imported a car. I sent the MOT in for an exchange. The NCTS website states the fee currently is waived, however the application form doesn't (€15). So I sent it in without a fee and a Recognition Cert arrived a few days later. If I look up the NCTS site, the test is due as per date of MOT expiry. So from that, we can deduce that a RC hasn't been issued. Here is what one looks like.

49417568933_a671c7c077_c.jpg
    NCT_Exchange_Recognition_Cert by macplaxton, on Flickr

Some may even think that now EU vehicle roadworthiness certificate are mutually recognised, they don't need to be exchanged for a local one. I haven't looked into it fully, but since it's currently free, I got on with swapping it.

Given the confusing situation over fee/no fee/stupidly limited payment options of the fee/acutal need. May have resulted in the above situation.
    Also who knows when it had its last MOT and the car has never had an NCT. I guess that's no problem for a new owner who doesn't bother with NCTs...

I do. It had its last MOT on 22nd March 2019. (9 days before expiry. MOTs can be done a month in advance of expiry and the advance days added - automatically these days - In the olden days you had to bring along the old cert)
    How did you figure that one out without the UK reg, or can you make out the reg somewhere from the service history?

And anyone that can't see that the key tag has the reg on it, then you ought to get down to SpecSavers. It's in two pictures and perfectly legible (to my eyes at least)

It's E554 FVL.

Advertisement