Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

macplaxton wrote: »
    Looks very like this advert:

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1065787

and this one

https://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/627180935/

The mileage is so close it'd would be hard not to compare it to F505 RHM

Same car alright, stickers in rear window and rear nearside window are the same. Probably sold for £3,000 or less, now looking for €7,750. Nice profit if he can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Theres a nice one on donedeal up north, asking £3900. Handy option for someone interested in one. MOT until October. Clean looking, with original alloys. Vintage in February.

On the phone so cant link, sorry.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Anyway to find the full mot history of this reg

G157ELJ

TRied the usual mot site, but the full history is not showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

There will be no other history available because it wasn’t on the road and did not undergo any MOT tests between 2006-2019.

The seller might have printed copies of test certificates prior to 2006, other than that there is no way to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Don't get a diesel W201. Or a manual. And definitely not a manual diesel :p

• Advertisement

Thanks, is the reg a northern Ireland one,

because apparently it was originally based in london

just over a year ago.

No, that’s a mainland UK plate

Not buying, just trying to get my head around the missing mot years.
    THKS.

Thanks to both you gents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

1972 !!:D:D the cops couldnt seem to give a monkeys, but do the likes of NCT not pick up on this sort of thing ? would you be insured ?

Do the nct have any additional tests for LPG fuelled cars, like tank location , type ect

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

RobAMerc wrote: »
    1972 !!:D:D the cops couldnt seem to give a monkeys, but do the likes of NCT not pick up on this sort of thing ? would you be insured ?

No nct pre 1980. As long as you declare it id imagine its alright. Strange aul loop hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Interslice wrote: »
    No nct pre 1980. As long as you declare it id imagine its alright. Strange aul loop hole.

That's the mad thing about them; once you get it registered as a pre-'72 it will never need to go near an NCT centre. But nobody checks these things anyway. It's a form of self declaration. You would theoretically need to change the weights in the logbook, but who will ever check that?

The only issue for a ringer (not saying that one is) would be if it caused a large claim in a car accident and a vigilant insurance assessor copped it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

KevRossi wrote: »
    That's the mad thing about them; once you get it registered as a pre-'72 it will never need to go near an NCT centre. But nobody checks these things anyway. It's a form of self declaration. You would theoretically need to change the weights in the logbook, but who will ever check that?

The only issue for a ringer (not saying that one is) would be if it caused a large claim in a car accident and a vigilant insurance assessor copped it.

Or if it was stolen and recovered you wouldn't be getting it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

KevRossi wrote: »

so whats your point? the rules are the rules...

Hold on lads, chances are this car is 100% legit. Remember that in this country it's only the chassis that counts. So if they got a chassis from any suitable Land Rover car (from 1972) and stuck an 80s engine and drivetrain in it and a 90s 5 door Range Rover body on it, the car is perfectly legal, doesn't need any NCT and qualifies for €56 per year tax (which it is on)

LPG softens the fuel cost on this V8 petrol auto gas guzzler

If the car is solid, and above checks out, it's a bit of a bargain imho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

There's a dude in Dublin well known for doing just that on range and land rovers, then selling them on

Good for him. If done properly, it's a typical case of tax avoidance (legal) and not tax evasion (illegal)

In other jurisdictions the rules can be a bit stricter. From memory in the Netherlands, at least 2 out of 3 must be original (out of chassis, body and engine / drivetrain)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

unkel wrote: »
    Good for him. If done properly, it's a typical case of tax avoidance (legal) and not tax evasion (illegal)

In other jurisdictions the rules can be a bit stricter. From memory in the Netherlands, at least 2 out of 3 must be original (out of chassis, body and engine / drivetrain)

Personally I'd love one!

• Advertisement

I have to admit I like it too. Rather a lot! How (un)reliable would this likely be, if you do very low annual miles in it, say 2-3k km?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

That Range Rover p38 is a completely different chassis to the '72 classic chassis. It's a different shape, has a wider track and longer wheelbase.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭samjames

UK is so tough compared to Ireland on Car testing, the Police are so strict while the Guards are not

• Registered Users Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭jmreire

Don't get a diesel W201. Or a manual. And definitely not a manual diesel :p

Would you care to elaborate unkel? I'd say that there is a story behind that statement ;)

Nah, diesel is just very unrefined. And Mercedes manuals of that era are just brutal. These were only ever bought for money saving reasons (think basic taxis and mile munching sales rep cars). Those reasons are completely obsolete when you buy a 30 year old classic car that only travels a few thousand km per year. Unless you have some nostalgia for a diesel and be masochist enough to prefer a manual of that era, steer clear, do yourself a favour and buy a petrol automatic.

And on top of that, the diesel / manuals are less desirable, so keep their value less well. Which will affect you come resale time.

hi5 wrote: »
    That Range Rover p38 is a completely different chassis to the '72 classic chassis. It's a different shape, has a wider track and longer wheelbase.

Someone who knows these cars very well has just told me pretty much the same. Plus a lot of other stuff that is mostly better not said on a public forum. Needless to say I will not be buying that car :p

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭KB22

Someone who knows these cars very well has just told me pretty much the same. Plus a lot of other stuff that is mostly better not said on a public forum. Needless to say I will not be buying that car :p

The P 38 electric's are a nightmare,go on any site and see what I mean. The classic production ended in 1994/1995. Replaced by the P38 . We have two classic's in the family, meaning pre 1994. I have experience of later RR,S and I would not take one for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭w124man

Nah, diesel is just very unrefined. And Mercedes manuals of that era are just brutal. These were only ever bought for money saving reasons (think basic taxis and mile munching sales rep cars). Those reasons are completely obsolete when you buy a 30 year old classic car that only travels a few thousand km per year. Unless you have some nostalgia for a diesel and be masochist enough to prefer a manual of that era, steer clear, do yourself a favour and buy a petrol automatic.

And on top of that, the diesel / manuals are less desirable, so keep their value less well. Which will affect you come resale time.

The W201 and W124 have arrived at that stage in their lives where most of the good ones are in good hands and the rubbish is for sale. The good ones for sale are approaching five figures now and even a manual diesel will fetch its asking price. A good MB manual gearbox will shift easily in spite of its long throw. An OM601/602/603 series diesel engine is amongst the finest diesel engines ever built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

I was working in Holland in 95/96 for a bit, having been working as a mechanic before that. (And after that) The farmer I was working for over there had a Merc 190 Diesel, a new enough machine at the time. I looked into it one day and saw it had a 4 speed manual. I remember thinking, "you mean bastard!" One of his Dutch workers confirmed he was in fact a mean bastard, and he only had the Merc to look like a big businessman in the village.

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/citroen-cx-pallas-25/23054968

NDFiNDFmZGIzZDk3NTRkMzFkMDQwYjg3NWIwNDFhYmYr4csrtMMhMcUzlFCf7KS1aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzMxMjc1NzV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This looks nice for a shade under 6k. MOT history is reasonable good, last (and only) fail for rust was way back in 2010.

The height of technology!

NTU4YjBhZWUzYzM5MzQ2MTQ0MmQ5MGFlZTBmY2MyNjNWlKEYK_bkbdrvrkSLMLt2aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzMxMjc1NzF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

I think I'd probably have this for around the same money

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/jaguar-xj6-4-2-litre/23768339

YmE3NjYxYTMwNWJkNTUxOTg1MDFjYmYyZmNiZGZhY2VHIO17vspEAIyXJZpcxetYaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzg0OTEyMDN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Advertisement