Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

The citroen every time, fabulous car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Selling the Jag with an NCT, but the no NCT with the Citroen. Hmmm.... is it worth a punt? Could be very expensive if it doesn't pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

KevRossi wrote: »
    Selling the Jag with an NCT, but the no NCT with the Citroen. Hmmm.... is it worth a punt? Could be very expensive if it doesn't pass.

I'd imagine the Citroen would come tested and Irish registered if agreed per the ad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

w124man wrote: »
    The W201 and W124 have arrived at that -for-sale/pougeot-205-1-9-gti/21290738stage in their lives where most of the good ones are in good hands and the rubbish is for sale. The good ones for sale are approaching five figures now and even a manual diesel will fetch its asking price. A good MB manual gearbox will shift easily in spite of its long throw. An OM601/602/603 series diesel engine is amongst the finest diesel engines ever built.
    I think I saw a white, manual Diesel 190D a few days ago for sale. I believe it was priced over €6k and can't find it now, so it may be sold. It just shows they are in demand.
    The Diesel version is a lovely car with character. Hard to find a good one these days, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

I’ve just come across an absolute mint 1986 Isuzu Trooper passenger.
    Complete rebuild about 2000 miles ago with about €8000 worth of receipts.
    It’s going to be advertised for sale for a tad shy of €8000. He( dealer)said he could have it ready for me next week if I wanted it.
    Am I mad?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Had me eye on either of those two from Mr. Darcy but cashflow doesn't permit right now. Colour on the Jag isn't one of the best but it looks decent enough otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

That Citroen is for sale a while.
    I messaged him about it and the NCT. He said it would be NCT'd for the new owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I'd imagine the Citroen would come tested and Irish registered if agreed per the ad

That's the odd thing. Ad mentions MOT till AUG 2019 and that the car will be registered in RoI if required, but no mention of a new NCT. Could be an accidental omission on their part as they usually have NCT'd cars for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

unkel wrote: »
    Hold on lads, chances are this car is 100% legit. Remember that in this country it's only the chassis that counts. So if they got a chassis from any suitable Land Rover car (from 1972) and stuck an 80s engine and drivetrain in it and a 90s 5 door Range Rover body on it, the car is perfectly legal, doesn't need any NCT and qualifies for €56 per year tax (which it is on)

LPG softens the fuel cost on this V8 petrol auto gas guzzler

If the car is solid, and above checks out, it's a bit of a bargain imho

The Discovery mk1 used the chassis of the classic Range Rover, body swaps are laborious but perfectly feasible.

A P38 Range Rover on a classic Range Rover chassis is a completely different kettle of fish, they were never interchangeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's the odd thing. Ad mentions MOT till AUG 2019 and that the car will be registered in RoI if required, but no mention of a new NCT. Could be an accidental omission on their part as they usually have NCT'd cars for sale.

+1

Sounds like he wants to sell it as is (which is illegal)

Why doesn't "Mr Darcy" get his finger out of his hole and just register the cars he brings in and get them tested. And then put up ads with the new Irish registration. He would look a lot less dodgy and unprofessional.

• Advertisement

As mentioned above, he said he would NCT it and the ad explicitly states it will be registered here if required.

Not illegal at all for him to have a UK car for sale, and I think a bit unfair to say that he is looking to do something illegal.

Have you ever dealt with this seller unkel?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭elperello

"Finished in deep burgundy red, with complimenting oatmeal interior, this lovely lady looks really well indeed. Having been subject to an extensive older restoration, she has a nice set of photographs which show the works that were completed. She had an engine recondition, as well as a full interior which has certainly aged very well. Her mileage is supported by her MOTs, and having being imported to Ireland recently, she had an MOT up until August 2019. We recently acquired the vehicle from her previous owner, who drove it to Ireland in Sept 18. The car was in dry storage since arriving, and we have recommissioned the car to where it is ready to use and enjoy. We reconditioned the brakes and suspension, and as can be seen in the photographs, she rises and drops with ease. She is still on her UK registration of B553PLR, and will be registered here if required before delivery. Everything on the car works as it should, and being a car of the 80s, she was treated to a Motorola Mobile phone. The phone and control unit are still in place, and she has her original instruction cassette, as well as a host of original phone bills."

Looks like the car is cleared.

I think by “imported” he just means it has landed on Irish soul and it’s still on UK plates

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭_ptashek_

+1

Why doesn't "Mr Darcy" get his finger out of his hole and just register the cars he brings in and get them tested. And then put up ads with the new Irish registration. He would look a lot less dodgy and unprofessional.

I've dealt with the man, storing my car for a while at his place. He's a bit of a story teller like any salesman, but can't say there's anything dodgy or unprofessional about him. Quite the Jag fan, too. Drives an XJ6 as a daily, if memory serves.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Yes I see what you mean.

I took it that it was driven to Ireland in Sept 18 and recently imported to mean paperwork in order.

It's a bit unclear but I doubt he means to hide anything.

I'd say if one was really a buyer it would all be sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭jmreire

The citroen every time, fabulous car.

+ 1. Fantastic car in it's day, and even now.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 GMessam405

https://www.donedeal.ie/commercials-for-sale/ford-f250-7-3-v8-right-hand-drive/23887454

The opposite of a bargain here. If insurance wasnt so stupid here, I'd love a truck like this, but not for 50 grand. This guy is outta his mind. Especially when buying diesel will already run up a big cheque 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/alfasud-1-5-super-price-drol-1980only-today/20609537

What would it cost to put the engine back in this ? Surely less than its worth as a running example ?
    "A bit of rust here and there" does worry me though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

RobAMerc wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/alfasud-1-5-super-price-drol-1980only-today/20609537

What would it cost to put the engine back in this ? Surely less than its worth as a running example ?
    I remember having a few of these back in the day, great engines and good fun to drive. there were very prone to rust though.

That must be for sale at least a year now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

RobAMerc wrote: »

The MOT found rust in "offside front floor and inner wing corroded" and "repairs in boot" back in 2016.

So I'd say there is some substantial work to be done, but worth a look and certainly worth saving. The "No bloddy timewasters" comment suggests the seller may be a bit unreasonable about the condition/value of the car.

If i had the bandwidth to take on a project i would, though....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

That must be for sale at least a year now

Longer I'd say.....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

_ptashek_ wrote: »
    I've dealt with the man, storing my car for a while at his place. He's a bit of a story teller like any salesman, but can't say there's anything dodgy or unprofessional about him. Quite the Jag fan, too. Drives an XJ6 as a daily, if memory serves.
    I've my corona stored there for a couple of years.
    No issues so far

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

GMessam405 wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/commercials-for-sale/ford-f250-7-3-v8-right-hand-drive/23887454

The opposite of a bargain here. If insurance wasnt so stupid here, I'd love a truck like this, but not for 50 grand. This guy is outta his mind. Especially when buying diesel will already run up a big cheque ��

Too expensive, you'll get that for 5-12k from the UK. Also, no fan of yank tanks wants one in RHD!
    Insurance is not an issue, I've had the diesel version of that truck (7.3 diesel V8) insured for 180 a year fully comp with declared value, as a second car.

Fuel is the only issue, but they get 15-20mpg if you drive carefully (i didnt). Mine had two tanks so it cost almost 200 quid to fill up but you'd get 500+ miles on the front and back tank combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 GMessam405

ELM327 wrote: »
    Too expensive, you'll get that for 5-12k from the UK. Also, no fan of yank tanks wants one in RHD!
    Insurance is not an issue, I've had the diesel version of that truck (7.3 diesel V8) insured for 180 a year fully comp with declared value, as a second car.

Fuel is the only issue, but they get 15-20mpg if you drive carefully (i didnt). Mine had two tanks so it cost almost 200 quid to fill up but you'd get 500+ miles on the front and back tank combined.

That's good to know about insurance, now I just have to wait 5 years to turn 25 to get one 😂. 20 mpg would be impressive on the start-stop roads here to be fair. I'd say yours was a great roadtrip rig!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Looks nice, should make for a very practical and reliable classic, suitable for daily use. Also a very good price.

Maybe a bit too good, the car never had an NCT, isn't even in their system. Still might be worth a punt if you (or your mechanic) can thoroughly check the car out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭jmreire

Looks nice, should make for a very practical and reliable classic, suitable for daily use. Also a very good price.

Maybe a bit too good, the car never had an NCT, isn't even in their system. Still might be worth a punt if you (or your mechanic) can thoroughly check the car out.

The checking out would be the deal breaker.....and if that checks out, why not? O

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I think thats a bargain, if its half as good as it looks. I'd prefer a bigger engine but then hey -
    Is the 200 a carb engine ?

• Advertisement

Advertisement