Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

oceanman wrote: »

Bargain.

Again, last NCT'd 16 years ago though :p

But who knows, it might be sound. It's still on the €1,500 tax though until it reaches 30 years, or if it has already reached the age, it needs to be re-classified as vintage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭w124man

Its a carb engine but for me the last picture says it all! Its not worth a look. The owner doesnt even know how to put the rear seat in!

unkel wrote: »
    Bargain.

Again, last NCT'd 16 years ago though :p

But who knows, it might be sound. It's still on the €1,500 tax though until it reaches 30 years, or if it has already reached the age, it needs to be re-classified as vintage

That to me, is a breaker. Any 126 that is damp inside like this one is only heading one way

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

oceanman wrote: »

Thats been up at least once before.
    Needs nothing but one of the windows is done in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Thats been up at least once before.
    Needs nothing but one of the windows is done in ?

i was waiting for someone to spot that! Considering the area its in, its doing well to be parked up for so long and escape with only one window gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

w124man wrote: »
    That to me, is a breaker. Any 126 that is damp inside like this one is only heading one way

Most if not all 126's have rusted away long ago, which is a shame really. The early chrome bumpered models were nice and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Looks nice, should make for a very practical and reliable classic, suitable for daily use. Also a very good price.

Maybe a bit too good, the car never had an NCT, isn't even in their system. Still might be worth a punt if you (or your mechanic) can thoroughly check the car out.

I'm looking at pic 10 of 10. Whatever sort of repair was carried out on the arch, they didn't even bother to mask it properly. So God only knows what else it's hiding

swarlb wrote: »
    The early chrome bumpered models were nice and simple.

They all had chrome bumpers!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,973 ✭✭✭✭elperello

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-250se-1968-27-000-mile/24098524

This looks nice and not too dear.
    They were a classy looking car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

That is suspiciously cheap. Beautiful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

That is suspiciously cheap. Beautiful.

Lovely car alright, might be some overspray under the bonnet?

250 isn't as sought after as the 280, so the price seems to be OK, certainly not crazily cheap. You can get one in Germany with a new TUV for €8-11,000. Love the column shift in them.

No, the later 126's had plastic bumpers, and finally water cooled. Early basic 126's were definitely the purest examples... no frills.

No, the later 126's had plastic bumpers, and finally water cooled. Early basic 126's were definitely the purest examples... no frills.

Really? You best tell MB then because my 1990 Series 2 W126 has chrome insert bumpers just like the series 1 cars!

Series 1 and Series 2 W126 cars had very similar bumper construction, the bits you cant see are the same but the outer plastic covers and chrome parts are slightly different

Series 2 (mine)

https://ibb.co/S0XLH7n

Series 1

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/12/1984_Mercedes-Benz_380_SE_%28W_126%29_sedan_%282015-08-07%29_01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/jowett-javelin-ballykissangel-car/23051304

YjgwNzBlYWUzYmZmZWVmNzM4YmEzZWVhMDY0OWUwODd--fXUyUIwu5iiEhVYSCKpaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzMwOTg2Mjd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

What an absolute delight this is, for €2750. Incredibly cool, you'll certainly not see another

This is well worth a watch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

I think he is talking about a Fiat 126. For some reason.....

Nice bit of Irish history to that car too. I can't believe they are only looking for €2,750. Somebody grab that bargain! You, Duke?

Finally water cooled :D

You could be right! My original comment mentioning 126 was in reference to the advert of a W126 Mercedes!!

Nice bit of Irish history to that car too. I can't believe they are only looking for €2,750. Somebody grab that bargain! You, Duke?

Very much up my street. I’m away out of the country for 10 days though

Very much up my street. I’m away out of the country for 10 days though

If you're seriously considering it, but stuck abroad, is there anyway I can help with that? I.e. I've no problem driving over to him to have a chat in person to see can I convince him to hold it. Or something like that.

• Advertisement

If you're seriously considering it, but stuck abroad, is there anyway I can help with that? I.e. I've no problem driving over to him to have a chat in person to see can I convince him to hold it. Or something like that.

Thanks a lot. I’ve fired off a message to the seller, so let’s wait and see

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Thanks a lot. I’ve fired off a message to the seller, so let’s wait and see

Gone...Did you get it?

Really? You best tell MB then because my 1990 Series 2 W126 has chrome insert bumpers just like the series 1 cars!

Series 1 and Series 2 W126 cars had very similar bumper construction, the bits you cant see are the same but the outer plastic covers and chrome parts are slightly different

Series 2 (mine)

https://ibb.co/S0XLH7n

Series 1

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/12/1984_Mercedes-Benz_380_SE_%28W_126%29_sedan_%282015-08-07%29_01.jpg

Ahhhhh.... a MERCEDES DOUBLE U 126.... and here was me thinking you were talking about a Fiat

That always happens to me as well, when people start mentioning E30 this, and E blah blah that... I always mix them up with food additives..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

That always happens to me as well, when people start mentioning E30 this, and E blah blah that... I always mix them up with food additives..

Happens with me when people talk of R8 (Rover 200s), I always first think Renault 8.

Reason being is that only 'nerds' mention the actual model code....

Like someone with a Fiat Punto saying they had a 176 or a 188, or an Alfa owner saying they had a 932 rather than a 156, or a BMW guy waffling on about his O2 (stadium ??) rather than his BMW 2002...

Just an observation.... (seems to only infect Mercedes and BMW people)

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Gone...Did you get it?

:(

I wish, was seemingly gone only minutes after I messaged

It was a spectacularly good deal. Well at least you can take the credit for that Duke. It will be up there with the best finds of this year.

Just hope it has gone to someone on here who will post about it soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

There’s three sides to every story...version1, version 2 & the truth

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Some serious accusations there that some legal eagle might have a field day with

As Duke says, " many sides to the same story"

Advertisement