Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I'm just amazed it's still up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭w124man

swarlb wrote: »
    (seems to only infect Mercedes people)

Wonderful people you know!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I'm just amazed it's still up.

Of course the longer its up , the more damage is done, and the larger
    the amount of sheckles to be paid out;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

kadman wrote: »
    Of course the longer its up , the more damage is done, and the larger
    the amount of sheckles to be paid out;)

only if it's untrue. If he can back it up he's clear....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    only if it's untrue. If he can back it up he's clear....

Agree.
    But its not about what you know, or what you think you know.....

Its about what you can prove.;)

Castigating a persons character on a public forum is not really a wise thing
    to do, it could well come back and bite you in the leg.You are leaving yourself open to all sorts of things.

Small claims would have been a better option I think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Small claims would have been a better option I think.

Not worth chasing what someone doesn't have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

Reason being is that only 'nerds' mention the actual model code....

Like someone with a Fiat Punto saying they had a 176 or a 188, or an Alfa owner saying they had a 932 rather than a 156, or a BMW guy waffling on about his O2 (stadium ??) rather than his BMW 2002...

Just an observation.... (seems to only infect Mercedes and BMW people)

I'm a BMW and Mercedes people, I have an e24 m and a w203 a and I represent that comment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

ah lads can we get back to cars?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

oceanman wrote: »
    ah lads can we get back to cars?:)

Sorry Sir I didn't read the rules Sir

Sorry Sir I didn't read the rules Sir
    lol:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,973 ✭✭✭✭elperello

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/vintage-car/24114613

A nice little bit of history.
    Never restored and looks solid.

elperello wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/vintage-car/24114613

A nice little bit of history.
    Never restored and looks solid.
    its nice alright but its all the money for what it is. others might disagree.

its nice alright but its all the money for what it is. others might disagree.

You wanted cars I gave you one :)

No seriously, how many unrestored ones of them do you reckon are around?

That's what makes it unusual, the patina the history.

If it's as solid as it looks and you keep it inside it will last forever.

On the other hand it might be a rust bucket.

elperello wrote: »
    You wanted cars I gave you one :)

No seriously, how many unrestored ones of them do you reckon are around?

That's what makes it unusual, the patina the history.

If it's as solid as it looks and you keep it inside it will last forever.

On the other hand it might be a rust bucket.
    I take your point but I guess what your are saying is seeing is believing and I agree with that. the camera sometimes lies...

I take your point but I guess what your are saying is seeing is believing and I agree with that. the camera sometimes lies...

Agreed, I think the camera mostly shows the cars better than they actually are.

How many of us have traveled to look at the gem in the pictures only to find out
    its significantly worse than the picture shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

The sceptic in me believes that the original owner did indeed buy a 1972 Merc with the Reg FZX 836.... But I'm curious to know if the steering wheel was on the other side at the time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Probably an ex-taxi from Germany with over a million km on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭welder

The sceptic in me believes that the original owner did indeed buy a 1972 Merc with the Reg FZX 836.... But I'm curious to know if the steering wheel was on the other side at the time ?

Imports pre'87 got whatever reg was current at the time of import. FZX is a mid seventies Kerry number so it obviously originated in a LHD country rather than being first registered here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭jmreire

Agreed, I think the camera mostly shows the cars better than they actually are.

How many of us have traveled to look at the gem in the pictures only to find out
    its significantly worse than the picture shows.

Its not the bits you can see that you have to worry about,,,it's all the hidden crack's and crevices. Chassis rail box sections, door pillars, sill panels etc. But having said that, it sure looks like a very nice specimen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

That Merc is fairly rotten, loads of ovdersprayed spots on it and a few tell tale places where you can see rust fighting to get through. Could well be a mid-70's import. There were loads of German hippies and what you'd now call Trustifarians living in Kerry, West Cork, West Clare, Roscommon, Leitrim and Sligo until well into the 90's. Quite feasible that someone took it here and kept it here.

I had a couple of them a had severl mates who had them when I lived in Germany in the early 90's. They were an excellent car; very reliable, economical and a nice cruiser on the autobahn. Rusted to feck though, most of them failed the TUV on rust and ended out in Greece, Lebanon or North Africa.

KevRossi wrote: »
    most of them failed the TUV on rust and ended out in Greece, Lebanon or North Africa.

I'd say in Turkey more than any of those countries put together :D

unkel wrote: »

Turkey had already started to clamp down big time by the mid-late 80's in an attempt to protect their own fledgling car industry. They had done a lot of CKD's up till then, but FIAT and others had started production and were well ramped up by then.

There was plenty of smuggling going on and some seriously dodgy ways of getting the car out of the passport. I know a couple of people who fell foul of it and did a Midnight Express tour of the local jails for a few weeks. It was a lot easier to just spend a couple of weeks touring around Turkey, drive to Lebanon or Greece, sell the car there, and let one of the locals take over the import issues. They had their own channels.

By 1988 the main route was through Algeria and on to Niger, sell it there to Nigerians or keep going to Togo or Mali. The Atlantic route opened up around 1991-2 and Mauirtania and Senegal was the next destination, especially once things got worse in Algeria after 1993.

I remember in the 90's travelling from Zagreb down to Belgrade, and once the schools closed for the summer holidays, you would get an exodus of Turkish families travelling home to Turkey from Germany. Maybe 90% in Mercedes Benz. The queue could stretch 3,4 or 5 klms long. It took ages to pass first the Croatian Customs and Passport control, and then the Serbian one. Families would have a picnic on the hard shoulder, and when the queue moved forward, they would just push their car's forward. And I'd imagine that many of these Merc's ended up in Turkey.

That's it exactly. Lots of loaded up vans too driven by one member of the family and then the Mercedes (for export) driven by another. Not so sure of the figures but there are several million people of Turkish decent living in the Netherlands and Germany. Many of them spend an extended holiday "at home" during the summer. My experience is from when there were no cheap flights back in the 70s and 80s. Not so sure if this is still happening these days. Probably not (and I wasn't aware of the restrictions put in place later as per KevRossi's post)

That's it exactly. Lots of loaded up vans too driven by one member of the family and then the Mercedes (for export) driven by another. Not so sure of the figures but there are several million people of Turkish decent living in the Netherlands and Germany. Many of them spend an extended holiday "at home" during the summer. My experience is from when there were no cheap flights back in the 70s and 80s. Not so sure if this is still happening these days. Probably not (and I wasn't aware of the restrictions put in place later as per KevRossi's post)

My experience would have been after the Balkan war, so late 90's and early 2000's .These would have been maybe the descendants of the original " Gastarbeiter's". I'm not sure how long it went on for ( again as per KevRossi's post ) But while it lasted, it was good business......I must ask a few friends I have there. Even today ( or more likely in the summer) you will find many Turkish people driving from Germany back home to Turkey, and in Mercedes Benz, but I doubt that these one's would be for sale now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

These migrations are still a thing every summer from France, through Spain and on to North Aftica. So much so that you see signs for ferry tickets in Arabic script as you approach Tarifa.

Mercs of varying vintage with roof racks Laden down with anything the relatives back home might need.

I've driven into Morocco a few times and they are so strict that you take your car back with you that they attach the carnet to your passport.

The trip to Turkey/Morocco/Algeria thing ran as follows for most families: the van was full of gifts for the extended family in Turkey. It was almost always driven back full again with food, carpets, lamps and anything that could be used, sold for profit, or that was simply chepaer in Turkey than Germany, Netherlands or wherever. I often stopped them in motorway service stations and would buy a few kilos of almonds, dates and figs off them. Dutch Turks were very fond of the Mk1 Transit, German Turks used 207's and later on Vito's.

The car was driven down as a status symbol, a sign you had made it. Rarely left down there, customs duties were usually 60%-200%. Occasionally a car was left in Turkey, ringed to replace one that had crashed/fallen apart and the person who imported it could leave with a bribe if they knew the right people. But the nicer cars were mostly used to drive around in, then taken back to Germany or wherever.

Same thing went on here in the 70's, 80's and 90's. Most of the decent UK cars you'd see during the summer were driven by Irish people living in the UK. People used to take the boat over and back, if you flew you were obviously doing well for yourself. And any UK reg car that ever showed up at our house always had a few goodies; sweets, comics or whatever.

Turkey, Morocco and North Africa have fully computerised immigration details. I first entered Morocco in 1991, it pops up every time I enter. I'v been there maybe 30 times by road, each and every car is registered on the system. Change passport and they'll get me to confirm that my old details are correct. First drove to Turkey in 1994, again in 1997 and 1998. All on their system.

Still goes on today, drive through France and Spain in summer and heavily loaded cars like these were a common sight:

barcelona-spain-04-2019-overloaded-600w-1365871571.jpg

KevRossi wrote: »
    The trip to Turkey/Morocco/Algeria thing ran as follows for most families: the van was full of gifts for the extended family in Turkey. It was almost always driven back full again with food, carpets, lamps and anything that could be used, sold for profit, or that was simply chepaer in Turkey than Germany, Netherlands or wherever. I often stopped them in motorway service stations and would buy a few kilos of almonds, dates and figs off them. Dutch Turks were very fond of the Mk1 Transit, German Turks used 207's and later on Vito's.

The car was driven down as a status symbol, a sign you had made it. Rarely left down there, customs duties were usually 60%-200%. Occasionally a car was left in Turkey, ringed to replace one that had crashed/fallen apart and the person who imported it could leave with a bribe if they knew the right people. But the nicer cars were mostly used to drive around in, then taken back to Germany or wherever.

Same thing went on here in the 70's, 80's and 90's. Most of the decent UK cars you'd see during the summer were driven by Irish people living in the UK. People used to take the boat over and back, if you flew you were obviously doing well for yourself. And any UK reg car that ever showed up at our house always had a few goodies; sweets, comics or whatever.

Turkey, Morocco and North Africa have fully computerised immigration details. I first entered Morocco in 1991, it pops up every time I enter. I'v been there maybe 30 times by road, each and every car is registered on the system. Change passport and they'll get me to confirm that my old details are correct. First drove to Turkey in 1994, again in 1997 and 1998. All on their system.

Still goes on today, drive through France and Spain in summer and heavily loaded cars like these were a common sight:

barcelona-spain-04-2019-overloaded-600w-1365871571.jpg

And all loaded down to the helper spring's..( if they had them !!! ) :D

• Advertisement

Advertisement