Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Actually, I made a mistake, it was this one I'd meant to link to

I’ve been following that for a while. It looks an absolute cracking example. I think it started at 12k.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Same here. Did some research into it too. Car never had an NCT, but was only brought in a bit over a year ago with a valid MOT, which ran out a few months ago. Looks in good nick, good chance it will pass the NCT without (too much) work. Always a bit of a risk though. The car is worth more than the asking price if the owner brought it back to the UK, but I don't think he would want to do that. I'd say an offer substantially below the asking price would take it. Decent MOT history too and the car has only done a few thousand miles in the last 15 years.

If there was ever a case to be made for a shared Roller, this would be it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I wouldn't turn my back on this car!

Screenshot-2020-02-09-15-11-15-896-com-sec-android-app-sbrowser.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

unkel wrote: »
    Same here. Did some research into it too. Car never had an NCT, but was only brought in a bit over a year ago with a valid MOT, which ran out a few months ago. Looks in good nick, good chance it will pass the NCT without (too much) work. Always a bit of a risk though. The car is worth more than the asking price if the owner brought it back to the UK, but I don't think he would want to do that. I'd say an offer substantially below the asking price would take it. Decent MOT history too and the car has only done a few thousand miles in the last 15 years.

for sure.

• Advertisement

Shared ownership is something that still interests me, but on something with 3 others for about 1500 each. I think anything more it could too easily become messy..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I wouldn't touch that without an NCT report, I'm worried there's probably a very good reason why it does not have one. You need to check rust on the subframes as that's where it gets very expensive to fix.

Have my eye on getting a Bentley sometime this year, once I sell the Lexus, which would be a major box ticked. Will probably go to the UK for a 30+ year old one for VRT and tax reasons. Not easy to find good ones, cheap ones are cheap for a reason.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/saab-900-2-door-saloon/24165847

NmVjNTYwNDY0NmIyZmUzNTkwYjExNmYyOWFjNzRjYmRDdVUSxiM53lSf4pWGomGRaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDE1OTE3MzJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Thoughts on this?

Automatic might be a bit crap, but it looks good. Long NCT, €3700. Maybe needs to be closer to 3k

Potential 924 replacement..

Coincidentally it actually passed me in Ballymun yesterday

Was admiring that earlier. I think it's a fine motor, but I'm a fan of autos anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

NmVjNTYwNDY0NmIyZmUzNTkwYjExNmYyOWFjNzRjYmRDdVUSxiM53lSf4pWGomGRaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDE1OTE3MzJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Thoughts on this?

Automatic might be a bit crap, but it looks good. Long NCT, €3700. Maybe needs to be closer to 3k

I am not wild about the saloon body, prefer the hatch -

2 options here
    auto

manual

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

Thoughts on this?

looks nice, not mad into saabs but if you got it for 3000euro it seems a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

supervento wrote: »

I think it must be noted that this guy is a part time dealer. Nothing wrong with that, but you'd need some guarantee from someone who's primary reason for sale is to make money. There's a thread here from someone who wants to buy a classic with the intention of selling it on for a profit. Again, nothing wrong with that, but these guys are not classic car enthusiasts. And they know no more about the car than you do when you buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

I think it must be noted that this guy is a part time dealer. Nothing wrong with that, but you'd need some guarantee from someone who's primary reason for sale is to make money. There's a thread here from someone who wants to buy a classic with the intention of selling it on for a profit. Again, nothing wrong with that, but these guys are not classic car enthusiasts. And they know no more about the car than you do when you buy it.

Most guys like that end up frustrated after a few months and end up selling at a loss. To make money you need to know who you are going to sell it to, and for how much, before you buy it.

The seller of that 5 series knows a lot. Pretty sure someone from here has either bought or at least dealt with him and had a very positive experience

I wouldn’t automatically assume that all traders know nothing about what they’re selling, especially traders of classics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Was admiring that earlier. I think it's a fine motor, but I'm a fan of autos anyway.

The common perception back in the day was that Saabs had sh1te gearboxes. Maybe the auto is a more reliable option for them.

The seller of that 5 series knows a lot. Pretty sure someone from here has either bought or at least dealt with him and had a very positive experience

I wouldn’t automatically assume that all traders know nothing about what they’re selling, especially traders of classics.

I disagree in this case.

I've been in the market for the last while in the type of BMW's he's been selling, and have seen his adverts. I have, like most people who are interested in a specific type of classic, being carefully watching the internet for suitable vehicles. I have seen him advertise to buy pre 1990 BMW's on Facebook. I watched as he was asked a question as to why he wanted a pre 1990 E34 or E32, only to see him answer that he didn't like the facelift model. When pointed out to him that the facelift model didn't start until 1993, he just gave a generic " I didn't realise". Someone posted that he was only interested in selling them in Ireland, and the post disappeared.

Again, I point out that there is nothing wrong with making money from cars, classic, or otherwise, but traders are only trading to make money, not to make sure you get the best value for your money.

Okay. Valid point there, but I wouldn’t call him clueless altogether (and not saying you are!). I’d consider myself a knowledgeable enthusiast of various marques and have been caught out in the past with wrong info that I previously believed to be true.

On a semi related note, so what if he is only interested in buying them to sell in Ireland? Whoever asked him why was he only interested in pre-90 models was obviously baiting. It’s not illegal and there’s nothing wrong with it. Some people would prefer for someone else to go to the hassle of finding a car, travelling to see it, and VRT’ing etc, and they’re happy to pay the premium. As well, if he can get there first and he has the money to buy them, good for him. Oftentimes I find that those who have a problem with this haven’t two pennies to rub together in the first place.

I’m getting absolutely sick of the classic market here. My father had a beautiful 924 for sale since Christmas that I have been looking after. I sold it on Saturday, and by 1 o’clock on Sunday I had five calls from five different people asking me if I’d sold it, and going on about how they’d been hoping to see it this weekend..(but none of the previous 8 weekends it has been for sale), such a shame it had sold etc etc. Nothing but busybody muppets with nothing better to do, and probably no money either.

Again, I point out that there is nothing wrong with making money from cars, classic, or otherwise, but traders are only trading to make money, not to make sure you get the best value for your money.

Are private sellers out there to make sure you get the best value for your money?

What does it matter who the seller is, what he does for a living or anything like that? If the car checks out and I’m happy with it, I’ll buy it. I couldn’t give a balls what the seller does really. I’ve bought and sold hundreds of cars over the last few years and this has always been my philosophy.

I’m not having a go at you in the slightest by the way! I’m just musing, and venting a little bit after my most recent Donedeal experience

Okay.
    On a semi related note, so what if he is only interested in buying them to sell in Ireland? Whoever asked him why was he only interested in pre-90 models was obviously baiting. It’s not illegal and there’s nothing wrong with it.

Absolutly agree. Nothing illegal or wrong with it, or making a few bob from it. It was a UK Facebook page, with only UK BMW cars on it, so I'm sure the guy asking it was just curious as to why he wanted a pre 1990 version as he was , I assume, in the UK himself. If memory serves me right, I think they even said they were just curious is all.
    I’m getting absolutely sick of the classic market here. My father had a beautiful 924 for sale since Christmas that I have been looking after. I sold it on Saturday, and by 1 o’clock on Sunday I had five calls from five different people asking me if I’d sold it, and going on about how they’d been hoping to see it this weekend..(but none of the previous 8 weekends it has been for sale), such a shame it had sold etc etc. Nothing but busybody muppets with nothing better to do, and probably no money either.

That's a total balls. I saw your car for sale, and the mentions here about it. I suppose the classic car market is very similar to the non classic car market in that regard. I have seen people saying that they dread selling on Donedeal and the likes because of the amount of hassle they get from similar types that just prefer to just waste their time. Maybe I'm old school, but if I'm really interested, then I make contact with the intention of viewing the vehicle with the intention to buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

Absolutly agree. Nothing illegal or wrong with it, or making a few bob from it. It was a UK Facebook page, with only UK BMW cars on it, so I'm sure the guy asking it was just curious as to why he wanted a pre 1990 version as he was , I assume, in the UK himself. If memory serves me right, I think they even said they were just curious is all.

That's a total balls. I saw your car for sale, and the mentions here about it. I suppose the classic car market is very similar to the non classic car market in that regard. I have seen people saying that they dread selling on Donedeal and the likes because of the amount of hassle they get from similar types that just prefer to just waste their time. Maybe I'm old school, but if I'm really interested, then I make contact with the intention of viewing the vehicle with the intention to buy.

The facebook link won’t work for me but if it’s the lad I’m thinking of from Kerry, I’ve dealt with him. He’s no expert on all BMWs but he knows a good deal. Found him to be very nice to deal with. I was looking at a 320i touring he had which appeared to be one of the first cars he was selling. He was honest about the car and the car checked out.

I wouldn’t hesitate buying from him once I got the car looked at. He might not be Deane Motors or Mr Darcys but he has some very clean well kept and reasonably low mileage examples for less money than them

He might not be Deane Motors or Mr Darcys but he has some very clean well kept and reasonably low mileage examples for less money than them

Personally I think it's the likes of them has the market falsely elevated. You need normal sellers to keep some sort of balance.

marcos_94 wrote: »
    The facebook link won’t work for me

That's because he removed it shortly after posting it. Pity, I was keen to see what others there would think. He was in with enthusiasts for the sole purpose of making money.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

That's because he removed it shortly after posting it. Pity, I was keen to see what others there would think. He was in with enthusiasts for the sole purpose of making money.

That ad is still up...

I’ve seen his wanted ads also he was looking for Mercs before... the ads stated he was paying above the market rate as they were for export.. this was on a U.K. Mercedes page.....

supervento wrote: »
    That ad is still up...

I’ve seen his wanted ads also he was looking for Mercs before... the ads stated he was paying above the market rate as they were for export.. this was on a U.K. Mercedes page.....

Ahh, I meant the post looking for the BMW's went missing. Didn't know he was into the same with Mercedes.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/volvo-240/24180182

YjEzZTJiMzg5NGYwZWU0OTVkYTdmMjJjNDg4OTZiMDZk7HOWNl-RxE5kmhtRJdSOaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDE3ODgyMjh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Nice looking Volvo 240 on classic tax with a years test for €2250

Same owner since 1993!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Pity it's a manual, but a very nice find for very little money.

I'm pretty sure I've seen it smoking (not literally!) around Dublin and it sounded sweet, with a typical 80s Volvo driver at the wheel. I don't seem to have any photos of it in my archives though, but the reg is very familiar.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1918-model-t-ford-tourer/24198911?campaign=3

NTc3MzM4YmM0ZDc3ZmU2ZDM1NzFmMzUyM2RkNjBjM2UiHYV8UmNiZ_bPmtFbx05daHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDE4NDQyMTN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This is class, and doesn't seem a lot of money either for what it is.

102 years old!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Nice E28 here, 2 litre and auto with 125 bhp makes it a fine cruiser. Looks to be in decent condition, though the drivers seat may be dirty.
    Long NCT and some recent work.

1988 520i, 05/21, €3,950

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/bmw-520i-e28/24194258

ZjE0MDUzYzhkZjAyOGNlZDQ1ZGVjMTZmNWJkNTc0NTZx62SX0LKAmPA3sR9hFz_XaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDE4MDcyOTZ8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Advertisement