Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,513 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Starting price for them in 99 was £70k IIRC, I'd say that one was 80 if not more.

Are you telling me Christy Moore paid 80K punt for a car back then.
    Another hero of the working man exposed 😕.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Are you telling me Christy Moore paid 80K punt for a car back then.
    Another hero of the working man exposed ��.

Christy Moore always had a nice motor

Did you think he went everywhere on a Honda 50? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

102,000 euro and not remotely accounting for 21 years inflation. YIKES!
    Ouch. But not surprised. It's a luxury motor aimed at people that wanted and could afford that kind of luxury.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/austin-a35/24359953

MzdhMGM0YTdhOTBiYmU1MGJjOGQyYzM5NTJkNzBlMWG_pQm4BxCWg9xxTR95n7uZaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDMyNTA5Njd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

I owned this car about 4 years ago, it was totally rust free then and in fine road going fettle

A nice little project at a reasonable price IMO, especially considering the spares included. A 1275 would move this alone nicely, but I wouldn't fancy stopping on the original cable brakes.

You could have this up and running for summer with little effort and cost if you were good with spanners. I'm actually quite tempted myself to buy it back. Its being sold by the gent I sold it to

A good road going A35 in the UK is 3.5/4k

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

That moment when you decide to go historic racing and the first thought that pops into your head is "I must source an Austin A35".....

;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/austin-a35/24359953

MzdhMGM0YTdhOTBiYmU1MGJjOGQyYzM5NTJkNzBlMWG_pQm4BxCWg9xxTR95n7uZaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDMyNTA5Njd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

I owned this car about 4 years ago, it was totally rust free then and in fine road going fettle

A nice little project at a reasonable price IMO, especially considering the spares included. A 1275 would move this alone nicely, but I wouldn't fancy stopping on the original cable brakes.

You could have this up and running for summer with little effort and cost if you were good with spanners. I'm actually quite tempted myself to buy it back. Its being sold by the gent I sold it to

A good road going A35 in the UK is 3.5/4k

T’would go well with a light little 1.5 triple ecoboost fiesta petrol 200 bhp + installed and rwd.

1VWaydVtJn2GXQNA8

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

So who was interested in sharing a classic? :pac:
    I am trying to see if there would be much interest in Dublin in a shared ownership scheme of a classic car such as this beautiful Ferrari 308. This car is currently for sale in the UK for £61,250 which is just over €70,000.

My intention would be to buy this car or similar with a total of 8 people each investing between €10-15k which would allow you to buy the car and hold a fund of roughly 50% of the value of the car for future maintenance. You would also pay a yearly maintenance fee , in the region of €1,000, for general up keep and car storage which I envisage to be a rented space in an under ground car park in a central location such as the IFSC.

Each share holder would be assigned 3-4 weeks a year from March to October in which they could have the car. Each share would be the owners property to sell as they wished. Investing in a potentially appreciating beautiful classic car seem a lot more interesting to me than keeping money in the bank. Please message me with any interest.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1984-ferrari-308-quattrovalvole-gts/24382903

ZTljNjAyNjI0ZGIzNWNiMTQxNzQwMTAwNzljZDY0ZjXFeGK02BnbvS8V1fyhzA5uaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDMzODQxNzN8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

I like the idea, and your man sounds genuine enough, but jaysus you’d want to have some set of liathróidís on you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

I like the idea, and your man sounds genuine enough, but jaysus you’d want to have some set of liathróidís on you

Kind of makes the roller seem less risky 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I'd love to hear the call to the insurance company.

"Value? A hundred grand or so.......Yes, a ferrari...... You heard right yes, 15 different lads will be driving it......What? Oh, an underground car park....... click" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

I'd love to hear the call to the insurance company.

"Value? A hundred grand or so.......Yes, a ferrari...... You heard right yes, 15 different lads will be driving it......What? Oh, an underground car park....... click" :D
    This is what's wrong with our insurance system. Elsewhere you would be able to insure the car which could be used by anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

KevRossi wrote: »

You would want to set aside another 50k for the inevitable court cases that would follow in a few years

Between Brexit and the virus and the way everybody in the UK has bought their classic on finance you might well buy full ownership of a 308 for £12 within 18 months. Classics and boats and the like will be the hardest hit when it comes time to sell stuff to keep going in the event of mass unemployment, more so if they’re financed and not owned outright.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

NCT out a month and all. Mucky boots under the wheel. Disgraceful carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

NCT out a month and all. Mucky boots under the wheel. Disgraceful carry on.

Keep fit windows in a Benz. Just no.

It is cheap though, and an auto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

jim-mcdee wrote: »
    You would want to set aside another 50k for the inevitable court cases that would follow in a few years

Sure what could possibly go wrong........

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That W201 is mutton dressed as lamb :D

It was lovely and original when TC had it. If I remember correctly he was the second owner and it was well looked after. It has lost its original wheels and grille since, and gained a spoiler!

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/beautiful-renault-18-gtx-estate-nct-05-03-2022/24403263

YzZlZDI1YjE2NDBiZmY3Y2E3OGRiOWY5ZmM2MTRkYTPghSHlakRfmyrDrynGbDCuaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDM1NTc3ODZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Nice practical classic estate with 2 years test, good spec and seemingly very good history for €5750

It needs to be much closer to 5k IMO, but still, this looks like a nice purchase. Something with space for all the family

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I would happily live with that R18 for the rest of my time.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1092783

49636494563_843bb5d6b7_z.jpg

Nice looking V12 XJS with NCT til June 2021, advertised on C&C for £3500 (so about €4k)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

ha, I saw that ad yesterday actually and thought the old girl has really let herself go..

My next thought was "I bet Duke posts that" - I think it's the 2nd or 3rd time you've linked it sine I sold it about 5 years ago now. The two previous times I certainly did consider getting it back..but certainly not this time around.
    NCT is out over a year, its grown arse antlers, dodgy wheels, and whatever about a young fella tarting it up (which is down to personal taste) what were they thinking with the Japanese style rear plate?
    Re Pablo128s comment about the windy windows, well it came from a time when Mercedes were notoriously stingy with the creature comforts you'd take for granted in a similar vintage Asian car. I kinda liked the spartaness of it all, I'd love an auto 250D model to see me out.

Pic attached for posterity from when I was selling it..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

49636494563_843bb5d6b7_z.jpg

Nice looking V12 XJS with NCT til June 2021, advertised on C&C for £3500 (so about €4k)

Looks ok, but I think the tin worm has sent this one over the edge. Also the TWR kit is awful - some engine though !

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Took a spin in one of those a few years back and was hugely disappointed. Just did nothing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

The description for the Jag has the price at €3500, so unless the rust is a lot worse than he is letting on, that's a bargain.

I'm probably the odd one out here, but I'd much prefer that with a straight six. Makes life a lot easier....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

The description for the Jag has the price at €3500, so unless the rust is a lot worse than he is letting on, that's a bargain.

I'm probably the odd one out here, but I'd much prefer that with a straight six. Makes life a lot easier....

I had it's big uncle; a 1983 Series III V12 in gunmetal grey. Glorious car, fast, very comfy, it was just so, so, smooth to drive, very thirsty, was reliable for the 12 weeks and 12,000 Km that I had it for.

I bought it when living in Germany for a road trip, had it parked at work for a week or so and had the cheek to stick it in the exec. car park. It was all 7ers, S-Klasse, Audi V8's and a couple of 928's and 911's. The Jag stuck out a mile as it was lower and looked wider than any of the other big Limo's. I'd love another one, but would probably go for the 6 cylinder as well.

They can be a nightmare to fix, anything on the engine is usually best left to an indie garage. I would also think that a lot of the people who could fix them easily enough in this country have retired or are pushing up daisies.

Here's a pic of the engine bay, best of luck working it out! :pac:

Jaguar-XJS-engine-bay-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭b318isp

KevRossi wrote: »
    They can be a nightmare to fix, anything on the engine is usually best left to an indie garage. I would also think that a lot of the people who could fix them easily enough in this country have retired or are pushing up daisies.

I've still scars from changing the exhaust manifold gaskets on one years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MrCostington

That's in Ireland Duke so Eur3,500 - I think C&C only has Stg as an option. Lot of car for that money (assuming it's not too bad)

Advertisement