Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

How has that Jag got an NCT until June 2021? NCT'd early?

Much prefer the older shape too.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Dades wrote: »
    How has that Jag got an NCT until June 2021? NCT'd early?

NCTs are every two years between 30 and 40 years old.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

macplaxton wrote: »
    NCTs are every two years between 30 and 40 years old.
    Jeez, 4 months without a classic and my brain falls out. Completely forgot that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

kev1.3s wrote: »

I agree - doesn't show much respect for the elderly owner does it?

Makes the whole ad a little melancholy/sad for me - cake candle holders n'all in the boot.

The type of damage and description might mean that joy riders got it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭w124man

I agree - doesn't show much respect for the elderly owner does it?

Makes the whole ad a little melancholy/sad for me - cake candle holders n'all in the boot.

The type of damage and description might mean that joy riders got it.

In fairness if you read the advert it clearly states that he is selling for an elderly owner and this is most likely how the elderly owner gave the car up for sale and at the asking price it certainly wouldn't pay to clean it up. I fail to see where you get the idea that joy riders might have got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Joyriders makes perfect sense. Replacement ignition and body damage. They didn't have immobilisers. Once you break the steering lock and pull the back off the ignition unit you're good to go with a screwdriver.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

w124man wrote: »
    In fairness if you read the advert it clearly states that he is selling for an elderly owner and this is most likely how the elderly owner gave the car up for sale and at the asking price it certainly wouldn't pay to clean it up. I fail to see where you get the idea that joy riders might have got it.

Cowling broken in the photos, and it’s had a new ignition, it’s definitely been tampered with by some ne'er-do-wells.

I’m probably the biggest Corolla licker round these parts, and even I don’t see the appeal of it at that money. From the photos it looks like every panel has a mark on it. It’s missing a radio, it needs work inside etc and that’s before you even get near an NCT centre. 3 or 400 would be closer to its worth IMO.

In fact if it drops to around that figure I’ll probably go and buy it. I guarantee that it drives as nice as the day it was new. I could say the same about another one that has done 200k, they’re amazing like that.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Either way, its a cheap motor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

It has no test whic8seems to be a particular bug bear around hear lately. Only worth 3 or 400 quid if you ask me.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-just-passed-test/24123983
    This one way better value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

kev1.3s wrote: »

I've a 97 saloon XLi with no body marks and if I was getting 950 for it I'd bite your hand off.

That engine though...

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

and here's how to sell a car :rolleyes:

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/peugeot-306-s16-phase-1/21405678
    Please no more lads that had a diesel turbo as their first car and they would love it. If you had a diesel turbo you couldn’t afford this. !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Someone should ring him and tell him how much better the GTI-6 is than that yoke.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/opel-senator-2-5e-6cyl-automatic-1983/24449827

MWNlNTQ4YjkyMWFkNDVjZDY2MzkwYjI2NWU5NDg3YjXw1-_qvXWlXntcZhZDZ9RsaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDM5NzE4NDB8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

I am properly tempted to bite the bullet on this

Very good MOT history

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/opel-senator-2-5e-6cyl-automatic-1983/24449827

MWNlNTQ4YjkyMWFkNDVjZDY2MzkwYjI2NWU5NDg3YjXw1-_qvXWlXntcZhZDZ9RsaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDM5NzE4NDB8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Very good MOT history

That is nice. Very nice. And for 3 grand cleared, I can see why you'd be tempted.

I'm still keen very keen on part owning a Rolls though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

That senator has been up a few times. I remember the pictures. Same location.

Looks lovely though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

The senator could be originally Irish. Wouldn't a UK car be a Vauxhall?

pablo128 wrote: »
    The senator could be originally Irish. Wouldn't a UK car be a Vauxhall?

No. They used the Opel brand up until 83 or 4 then switched exclusivly to Vauxhall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

That Senator is a beauty. Had a B Senator, fabulous car, better driver over long distances than the equivalent W124 and E34's.
    kaizersoze wrote: »
    That senator has been up a few times. I remember the pictures. Same location.

Looks lovely though.

Being sold by a dealer or someone who deals on the side, plenty of photos of cars taken right there.
    kaizersoze wrote: »
    No. They used the Opel brand up until 83 or 4 then switched exclusivly to Vauxhall.

But only for the high end stuff like Manta's and Senator's IIRC?

KevRossi wrote: »
    That Senator is a beauty. Had a B Senator, fabulous car, better driver over long distances than the equivalent W124 and E34's.

Being sold by a dealer or someone who deals on the side, plenty of photos of cars taken right there.

I remember that Senator though. Not too many come up for sale.
    Yeah. Just used Opel on the higher end stuff, Manto, Senator, Monza etc. but then stopped using completely.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/vw-passat-b1/24279866?campaign=3

NTZhMTZhZTUzYzQ2N2JmNWJmYTY1YzI3M2FkZTk2NTj2rDZ6iKbS4ZK0I7h-fIWqaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDI1OTQ5OTd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Decent looking Mk1 RHD Passat for €2700. I'd lose the roof rack, but looks a nice old thing

This was on cut springs until fairly recently, nice to see it fixed. I think it needs to be a bit cheaper, but still!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Very good MOT history

That is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

That white Mondeo from a few months back was taken there if I'm not mistaken.

That white Mondeo from a few months back was taken there if I'm not mistaken.

Thats a lad in Clondalkin that sells a few classics - He told me he sold Mercs only but had a clean Carina 2, and an Audi 90 coupe recently
    Few W124 coupes too.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    With the way things are going at the moment it may be a decent time to pick up a classic.

Am waiting to put a few bob into BMW shares, down to €38 as I write this. I made a faor few quid on them about 10 years ago. Their real company value is at €65-70 per share, so if you wait a few weeks till it looks like they'll bottom out and then purchase with the intention of holding on to them for 2 years, you can't go too wrong IMO.

Classic prices in the UK will slowly drop over the next 2-3 years due to Brexit. Prices for highly speculative classics like rare Ferraris etc. will fall a certain way, but will be saved a bit by the international market.

It's a the lower end, especially 70's, 80's and 90's daily classics where the big bargains will be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Am waiting to put a few bob into BMW shares, down to €38 as I write this. I made a faor few quid on them about 10 years ago. Their real company value is at €65-70 per share, so if you wait a few weeks till it looks like they'll bottom out and then purchase with the intention of holding on to them for 2 years, you can't go too wrong IMO.

Classic prices in the UK will slowly drop over the next 2-3 years due to Brexit. Prices for highly speculative classics like rare Ferraris etc. will fall a certain way, but will be saved a bit by the international market.

It's a the lower end, especially 70's, 80's and 90's daily classics where the big bargains will be had.

I saw an 89 BMW sold on ebay 3 weeks ago or so for £1250. No reserve. However, the seller relisted it last week as the buyer never turned up, it seems. It went yesterday for £740. Maybe it's just the way that auction went.

Any price drops in lower end stuff will be wiped out by the fact the UK is outside the EU and the taxes our cronies will level upon them - lets not ignore the opportunity our government will take to help out our "car industry" by making UK imports unattractive for us

• Advertisement

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Any price drops in lower end stuff will be wiped out by the fact the UK is outside the EU and the taxes our cronies will level upon them - lets not ignore the opportunity our government will take to help out our "car industry" by making UK imports unattractive for us

I'm not so sure about that. Since EU taxes have already been paid once, they cannot charge the same tax again.

Of course, there's nothing stopping the government adjusting VRT, but I think any car registered in the UK pre-31/01/2020 would not be subject to it. May take a court case to decide it.

Advertisement