Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1973-ford-mercury-cougar-7-liter-351-v8/24476092

NWExMjFjYmU0MTU4NWU1ZDJiNTY2ZjU1OTFmNDc4MjGw8CWBe3nKchrtxX2coKb6aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDQyMjk4MTl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

7 litre V8 Mercury Cougar, running and driving, for €4k

What could possibly go wrong!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

351 cubic inches is only 5.7 litres. Just saying.

Ah. Dunno where your man is getting his his other 1.3 litres from so...unless there's a Toyota Starlet in the boot :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭kyote00

Starsky and Hutch on the case of the missing 1.3l
    Ah. Dunno where your man is getting his his other 1.3 litres from so...unless there's a Toyota Starlet in the boot :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭moonlighting_1

are the chrome bumpers missing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,973 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I think there was a 7 litre version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

elperello wrote: »
    I think there was a 7 litre version.

The plot thickens. The ad states 351 ci. However.......

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

KevRossi wrote: »
    Am waiting to put a few bob into BMW shares, down to €38 as I write this. I made a faor few quid on them about 10 years ago. Their real company value is at €65-70 per share

I'd be very careful doing that. And I say that as a BMW fan, I like no other make more than BMW. After an initial very good start with electrification they promoted a dinosaur to CEO, who pretty much stopped the program. They have just got rid of him, but severe damage was done, they are lagging behind now

I wouldn't be too sure if they can overcome this in time. I hope they will. A risky investment. A safer bet for your investment would probably be the VW group (that took a similar haircut over the last few weeks)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

unkel wrote: »
    I'd be very careful doing that. And I say that as a BMW fan, I like no other make more than BMW. After an initial very good start with electrification they promoted a dinosaur to CEO, who pretty much stopped the program. They have just got rid of him, but severe damage was done, they are lagging behind now

I wouldn't be too sure if they can overcome this in time. I hope they will. A risky investment. A safer bet for your investment would probably be the VW group (that took a similar haircut over the last few weeks)

It saddens me to agree with this, BMW is my most favourite brand, I have had 8 of them, and the now have nothing on sale that is any way inovative or interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

unkel wrote: »

Still the 3rd best selling brand in Germany, not that far behind Mercedes. Actually had the smallest drop in sales over 12 months of the big brands.

Bavaria will introduce a form of restricted movement from midnight tonight, the whole of Germany should follow from Monday. So I expect most stocks to fall another bit by this time next week.

Company is worth too much for it to be at €40 for now, even if they are lagging behind other brands. I expect they will go with alternative fuels the same way as they did when they entered the diesel market in the early 80's and purchase off a known competitor - such as Tesla. They had invested heavily in Hydrogen, this isn't yet suitable for small uses like family cars.

We'll see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/vw-passat-b1/24279866?campaign=3

NTZhMTZhZTUzYzQ2N2JmNWJmYTY1YzI3M2FkZTk2NTj2rDZ6iKbS4ZK0I7h-fIWqaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDI1OTQ5OTd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Decent looking Mk1 RHD Passat for €2700. I'd lose the roof rack, but looks a nice old thing

This was on cut springs until fairly recently, nice to see it fixed. I think it needs to be a bit cheaper, but still!

Wonder why it has 4 mirrors. Strange. Towing wide loads maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Jap import maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Andrewf20 wrote: »

Probably fitted after market by an owner. Wing mirrors used to be on the wings (it's in the name!), but were moved back to the door pillars for better aerodynamics. Some people were just used to looking at the wing and had them retro fitted.

They actually give better vision than pillar mirrors and eliminate blindspots a lot better IMO.

I had an employer in Germany who removed the headrests on the two cars that were used for small deliveries and doing errands. He grew up driving without them and he couldn't stick them. This was the 1990's, he was hitting 70, cars were Merc 190's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Andrewf20 wrote: »

Yes it's for towing a caravan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

It's a long time since either of them have been on the road. Tax was up on the red one March 2000, and December 2003 on the green one by the looks of things. Unless they were stored inside, they are almost certianly only good for parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Jesus thats some accent on that bloke. Could not understand a word.

He is lucky there was no test back then - that van looked rotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Tzardine wrote: »
    Jesus thats some accent on that bloke. Could not understand a word.

He is lucky there was no test back then - that van looked rotten.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2014/1113/658814-award-for-postman-who-never-missed-work-in-48-years/

This van looks a bit better... same colour as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I've spent a bit of time looking at these across the water if this is as good as it looks its decent value.
    Dealer might be a good old fashioned gangster - but there are worse sorts out there.

OTJkODhlYTg0NmEyOWIxYzAyZjkxMmY2MTRjNDYwZDD7YKIkzDWp3Pwc449NljMGaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDQ2MjMwMDd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭jcon1913

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I've spent a bit of time looking at these across the water if this is as good as it looks its decent value.
    Dealer might be a good old fashioned gangster - but there are worse sorts out there.

OTJkODhlYTg0NmEyOWIxYzAyZjkxMmY2MTRjNDYwZDD7YKIkzDWp3Pwc449NljMGaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDQ2MjMwMDd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg
    Love the name in the ad - straight from the Avengers TV series - ''JP Steede''

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

jcon1913 wrote: »
    Love the name in the ad - straight from the Avengers TV series - ''JP Steede''

No longer available... ad taken down...

could be sold, I think it was a good buy if it was in any way clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

RobAMerc wrote: »
    could be sold, I think it was a good buy if it was in any way clean.

Oh ya...

Lovely looking from the pictures...

Good vintage stuff seems to move quickly once priced correctly...

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1975-fiat-130-coupe-84k-kms-one-of-the-best/24255262

NzY1MTJjN2IwNTAyMDM1MWJkZWM3MDk4ZjJjZjA0NTmafcDMsKDhk8kxRHZWatFHaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDIzMDcwOTB8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

I could have sworn that this was a lot more expensive than €14k when it was last up (and David Golding isn't exactly known for being cheap)

A sign of things to come?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭jcon1913

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1975-fiat-130-coupe-84k-kms-one-of-the-best/24255262

NzY1MTJjN2IwNTAyMDM1MWJkZWM3MDk4ZjJjZjA0NTmafcDMsKDhk8kxRHZWatFHaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDIzMDcwOTB8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

I could have sworn that this was a lot more expensive than €14k when it was last up (and David Golding isn't exactly known for being cheap)

He renewed all his ads 2 hours ago, I havent been watching anything so I'm not sure if there are other price drops but it might be a sign of people reducing their stock

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Vivienne23

Have a couple of vintage cars myself , I’d be inclined to keep them rather than sell at the minute , keeping an eye out for any bargains around ,

With all the printing of money going on I reckon a few assets will never go astray , at least your classic will always be worth a few bob , after this emergency a euro may still not be worth a euro in buying terms

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

It was the same price - i had it in my 'watch' list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

€15,500. Not a hope. Delusionally optimistic.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/bmw-730i/24554382

YzBiNTRkNjE5ZjFmYTYxMWVlMDQ2OTM5ZmE2ODY5YTDv-PGOIV7oBnZL3cGxRIFLaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDUwMTQyNDV8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Advertisement

there is a lot of lads out there who believe that there are customers out there who want a classic but haven't the capacity to do a 5 min internet search for themselves to ascertain the real value of something - maybe there is!

Advertisement