Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

RobAMerc wrote: »
    there is a lot of lads out there who believe that there are customers out there who want a classic but haven't the capacity to do a 5 min internet search for themselves to ascertain the real value of something - maybe there is!

Well, I've loads of tat I can sell em if there is :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

Vivienne23 wrote: »
    Have a couple of vintage cars myself , I’d be inclined to keep them rather than sell at the minute , keeping an eye out for any bargains around ,

With all the printing of money going on I reckon a few assets will never go astray , at least your classic will always be worth a few bob , after this emergency a euro may still not be worth a euro in buying terms

Yeah I'm going to use this to buy a 911 without the wife
    murdering me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

That's my favourite classic to come up in yonks, simply beautiful.
    It's been for sale for a long time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

it looks no where near as good in the flesh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

Those CX s were compromised from the very start, they were designed around a much lighter birotor Wankel engine which didn’t work out and they had to go with the old tech engines . So they’re like the opposite of a Porsche , look how far out in front of the front axle line the heavy low power engine is located like a pendulum.

If you want to see how bad a CX really handles have a look at the video below !

On top of this they’re fierce hard to maintain in all aspects ,€ 2 k would be the price of that one

• Advertisement

ok, clearly the makers of that are anti Citroen - why did the 2CV just disintegrate ? Coz the Ford drove in front of it ? :D Plausible I guess !

Enjoyed it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Bigus wrote: »

At least it survived the guillotine and was still able to drive away. The Ford would have been a gonner :p

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

Bigus wrote: »

Classic, that's brilliant - my fave thing about that clip are the two manikins on the back seat of the Ford.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Great little Scandinavian flick there at 36 seconds out of the Citroen lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

There you go,

508283.jpeg

I've seen this around. It looks very good ( from 10ft anyway )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

kadman wrote: »
    There you go,

508283.jpeg
    508299.PNG

:eek::eek:

kaizersoze wrote: »
    508299.PNG

:eek::eek:

That's the reason so many big engined cars go to scrap prematurely in this country. Plus, the asking price of that car would be much more if it wasn't for the prohibitively expensive road tax. Also the reason why they command more when they reach 30 years old. €56 compared to €1809 is a large plus when selling.

That's the reason so many big engined cars go to scrap prematurely in this country. Plus, the asking price of that car would be much more if it wasn't for the prohibitively expensive road tax. Also the reason why they command more when they reach 30 years old. €56 compared to €1809 is a large plus when selling.

I wouldnt be sure about that, there are still a lot of these about in the UK. They are not rare or that special really. Good x300 can be picked up from about 2 to 4k there. (Although admittedly the Super V8 is rarer )

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

The LWB Daimler doesn't look as balanced as the normal length XJ. The rear side windows are just a bit too long.
    It's an awesome car though.

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I wouldnt be sure about that, there are still a lot of these about in the UK. They are not rare or that special really. Good x300 can be picked up from about 2 to 4k there. (Although admittedly the Super V8 is rarer )

This is the thing, though Rob. The UK. The road tax for that car is £270 or just over €300. You wouldn't scrap a car for that.

When you're talking closer to 2 grand, it sure would be a huge factor in deciding if you want to keep the car on the road or get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

This is the thing, though Rob. The UK. The road tax for that car is £270 or just over €300. You wouldn't scrap a car for that.

When you're talking closer to 2 grand, it sure would be a huge factor in deciding if you want to keep the car on the road or get rid of it.

... and goes without saying a huge factor if you were considering buying it and had to tax it and so forth....

personally i could think of alot of other cars with €1800 road tax I would have before one of these.... to be fair I think it makes more sense to buy something vintage if you wanted a big engine, even with the premium they command...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

I know someone who had a very good Daimler like that for sale a while ago, irish plates, NCT, etc. and struggled to get 3 grand for it. I reckon that asking is at least 4 grand too optimistic.

It was an LWB, 4 seater too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/rover-sd1/24571593

OGJjOGY0OGFhZWU2YmZlN2JkNzdmMzU5NzA1ZmRjNzZUY2w8cUMzeTdJ7b-nNrJ6aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDUxMzkxODh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This looks sweet for €5k. 2600 automatic, a V8 would be nice but still.

NCT til June 2021, and claims it comes with loads of spares

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I'd love one. Would have to be an 8-pot though

Yeah, I think if you did end up spending five grand on the above example you'd always be a bit annoyed with yourself for not saving a bit more and getting a V8.

Still though, not knocking the above example. It looks great and if you don't fancy a trip to the UK for one, it would make a lot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Those straight sixes are actually quite nice. The V8 rumble is lovely, but after a while you kinda just want the engine to just do its thing as smoothly and unobtrusively as possible.

That looks fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

We had that SD1 on here before. Can't remember the details though or when that was.

Edit - found it, posted here 8 months ago, it had an asking price of €4,500 and no NCT at the time

Linky

It had a change of ownership not long after Garzard posted it.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/ford-popular-100e-deluxe-with-11-600-miles/24578407

MDRiMWVlMWY2Mzg5Y2UzZWZiNmVmMDQ5ZGFhNzQ5ZjNwyYHA1FvrZ5lUuVwMtoazaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDUxODQwMzJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This actually looks like a nice buy for sub €5k if this is your thing. I saw it posted on their instagram page during the week and presumed it would be advertised for about 10k.

For a 50s/60s car they drive like something from he 30s though.

It had a change of ownership not long after Garzard posted it.

How do you find that out? I know you can check on the revenue site if there was a change of ownership in the last 3 months, but this was longer ago

Put the reg in here and it will give you the last date of sale

https://www.cornmarket.ie/car-insurance-quotes/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,973 ✭✭✭✭elperello

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/citroen-bx-gti/24152842

I seem to remember this for sale a few years ago.

Looks nice very few around.

Advertisement