Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Very nice find and a very reasonable €4,250 asking price. These are getting so rare and a GTi is desirable.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

elperello wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/citroen-bx-gti/24152842

I seem to remember this for sale a few years ago.

Looks nice very few around.

It was up for sale only a few weeks ago. I remember it well. It looks fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,973 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It was up for sale only a few weeks ago. I remember it well. It looks fantastic.

I didn't see it a few weeks ago but I'm pretty sure I saw it for sale a few years ago. The Leitrim reg. kind of stuck in my memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

elperello wrote: »
    I didn't see it a few weeks ago but I'm pretty sure I saw it for sale a few years ago. The Leitrim reg. kind of stuck in my memory.

Yeah. You wouldn't forget it no matter what!

I went into my whatsapp and I think it's one of a few I didn't send to a mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

It has been for sale a good few weeks now, I think since about Christmas to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

The Citroen was for sale about 6 years ago for around €1500-1800 for a long time. I wanted it, but wasn't around to buy it, by the time I got back here it was gone.

Seems to be in excellent condition. The BX Gti regularly won road comparison tests against it's competitors back in the day in various car magazines. It was very highly thought of.

Are almost no classic cars selling or what is the reason that a fairly desirable car in apparently good conditions with a current NCT and with a pretty reasonable asking price is not shifting?

I mean 80-90% of the cars for sale on DoneDeal are either rubbish, overpriced or don't have an NCT. This is one of the good uns.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

unkel wrote: »
    Are almost no classic cars selling or what is the reason that a fairly desirable car in apparently good conditions with a current NCT and with a pretty reasonable asking price is not shifting?

I mean 80-90% of the cars for sale on DoneDeal are either rubbish, overpriced or don't have an NCT. This is one of the good uns.

This is advertised a while i assume he has been dropping the price as time passed?

I think at present probably 85/90% of people are following government guidelines so people wont be viewing vehicles... so really by advertising now you are taking advantage of the fact that a lot of people are at home on the internet, so you most likely will get some viewings after the lock down.... (once as you said its priced correctly and so forth.....)

KevRossi wrote: »
    The Citroen was for sale about 6 years ago for around €1500-1800 for a long time. I wanted it, but wasn't around to buy it, by the time I got back here it was gone.

Seems to be in excellent condition. The BX Gti regularly won road comparison tests against it's competitors back in the day in various car magazines. It was very highly thought of.

Thanks for that. I knew I remembered it from a previous ad.

If that car is as good as it looks it's worth the 4k and will only go one way if it is minded.

You can imagine telling a Garda a a checkpoint "I'm going to see an old Merc."

Then if you get there you have to sit in with owner whose health you don't know to test drive it.

And then run the gauntlet back home with your purchase.

I don't think so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭robie5

The Senator is Also on car and classic for 1500

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/bmw-e28/24589707?campaign=3

MjRiZjIwNmU4NGNlMjhmNGMxYTVmNTdiMWE5MTcxYzTu9p2eIyE2j3UTb8LxG5beaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDUyNjMxNjd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

ZjU0NWNkMGJmZWMyNDY4ZjhkZmU3OWNiZjkzZDFjMjQegt9amhZ0l6lKwTHpEDByaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDUyNjMxNjh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

NzUzYmFmZTI2Y2RiMzYwOTE2N2U1NGE0ZjNjNjgwYmHBJkFdwF57an4e61nvnXo4aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDUyNjMxNjl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Good price for a seemingly well sorted E28?

NCT all the way til October 2021. €6500

Lovely. My favourite colour too.

Lovely. My favourite colour too.

Colour coded over mats too!

They look original which is interesting. I didn't think cars came with floor mats until a good few years later, with the exception of Rolls Royce and their lambs wool carpets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

white wall tyres and that awful BBS spoiler ? Oh no ! :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Colour coded over mats too!

They look original which is interesting. I didn't think cars came with floor mats until a good few years later, with the exception of Rolls Royce and their lambs wool carpets.

Nice car, looks to be kept well and a long NCT is a plus. White stripe on the tyres looks bad IMO. I think the spoiler was an option on them in 1983.

Overmats were an option on all Merc's and BMW's, very popular in the UK. Those don't look original. I had 3 E28's back in the 90's and 00's and I had overmats. They don't seem to fit perfectly and if I remember they have a flap to go around the accelerator. They were a bit awkward to remove when hoovering.

Either way they are a nice touch and it's a prefect everyday car, still incredibly modern drive in them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

RobAMerc wrote: »
    white wall tyres and that awful BBS spoiler ? Oh no ! :eek::eek:
    I bought a car with whitewall tyres about 15 years ago - paid the local tyre place 15 quid to reverse them outside in!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭CoBo55

It sure is, I've looked and looked and I'm very very tempted. What do the others here think? Would insurance be a problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I'm looking at my finances closely because of that. I'd say I account for half the views. Insurance wouldn't be a problem, why would it?

You will never see one like it again.

I'm looking at my finances closely because of that. I'd say I account for half the views. Insurance wouldn't be a problem, why would it?

You will never see one like it again.

It looks class. Probably the only one in the country. I think you've fallen in love :D

You'd want that garaged though or it will melt away in front of your eyes.

the boss of my first job had a virtually identical one to this. One day my colleague and I loaded his Landy which was parked in front of the renault with boxes for an errand, he was throwing the boxes onto the bonnet as I chucked them into the back of the landy. We destroyed the paintwork on the renault, the bottom of the boxes were like sandpaper ! fond memories, but I wouldnt want to own it.I'd like to see it kept here though and not go for a swim!

It looks class. Probably the only one in the country. I think you've fallen in love :D

You'd want that garaged though or it will melt away in front of your eyes.

I’m in love myself. The father had an early one a 79 on lpg I loved it, absolute rot box unfortunately. It certainly would have to be garaged to do it justice especially after living this long:cool:

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I’m in love myself. The father had an early one a 79 on lpg

In Ireland?

In Ireland?

LPG was very common on big cars in the 80s (and possibly earlier in the 70s) in Ireland

It was either that or a diesel conversion!

RobAMerc wrote: »
    the boss of my first job had a virtually identical one to this. One day my colleague and I loaded his Landy which was parked in front of the renault with boxes for an errand, he was throwing the boxes onto the bonnet as I chucked them into the back of the landy. We destroyed the paintwork on the renault, the bottom of the boxes were like sandpaper ! fond memories, but I wouldnt want to own it.I'd like to see it kept here though and not go for a swim!

It's an import not original Irish so it would be it's second swim !

Lovely car though and worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

It looks class. Probably the only one in the country. I think you've fallen in love :D.

I have unkel, but unfortunately I'd have to sell 2 bikes to free up space and cash and in these circumstances it's not going to happen quick enough. That car is a once in a lifetime find.

In Ireland?

Yep, she ran like a watch on it after a bit of fettling. It was a very tidy installation, there was a garage in Wexford town had an agency for doing them. I think it was Meylers although I'm not certain.

• Advertisement

In Ireland?

My Uncle had one ( saloon ) on LPG that I remember he drove to Italy.

I remember well he'd painted the lights yellow with the big black beam deflectors on it for the drive down through France.

The locals were horrified he drove a french car.

Advertisement