Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

RWD wrote: »

Saw that earlier. Not sure like 'total restoration' in the description though....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I've zero faith in these raffles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Garzard

skibum wrote: »
    Timeless
    around 1980 I had a summer job in the "Smithfield Fruit Market" the boss had one of these, loved the look of it.....

One thing I've just noticed, but it seems to be leaning significantly over to one side - best example on the 6th photo of the ad - could just be me, but odd, as the car seems to be on level ground?

Not sure if this has been posted before, it seems like an honest seller from the details. €1,500

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/vauxhall-carlton/24375358

510826.png

• Registered Users Posts: 47 not2be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

not2be wrote: »
    looks nice alright....could quickly turn into a money pit though:eek:

oceanman wrote: »
    looks nice alright....could quickly turn into a money pit though:eek:

Ad's gone now... that didn't last long...

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/opel-corsa-gsi/24678133

NWQwY2RiODRiNGE5MTU3ZDZjYzEwMTAxY2Q3Y2RlZWaAGANeFQjGAE86WQyvzX8EaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDU4ODE5OTR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This is a rare little thing, an original Irish Corsa A GSI

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/opel-corsa-gsi/24678133

NWQwY2RiODRiNGE5MTU3ZDZjYzEwMTAxY2Q3Y2RlZWaAGANeFQjGAE86WQyvzX8EaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDU4ODE5OTR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This is a rare little thing, an original Irish Corsa A GSI

I think id take the starting and driving 1991 500 SL and put the 2k into restoring it... for the same price as the non runner Corsa

Yeah, mad money really

• Advertisement

Yeah, mad money really

You would think he would at least put it running and stick on a set of alloys or a set of matching steel wheels....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭w124man

I think id take the starting and driving 1991 500 SL and put the 2k into restoring it...

You wouldn't get a whole lot of restoring a 500SL for €2k!

w124man wrote: »
    You wouldn't get a whole lot of restoring a 500SL for €2k!

I was emphasising that the Corsa was very expensive in comparison to the 500 SL

Ya i don't know what condition the car was in.... according to the seller both wings were a little rusty but he had new genuine wings to be fitted.... lads with spray booths would repaint a whole car and refurb wheels for 2k... which would of been the biggest job with that car...

the r129's are not very expensive to maintain mechanically in general once they have been maintained in their lifetime...

are you familiar with that particular Mercedes we are talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I was emphasising that the Corsa was very expensive in comparison to the 500 SL

Ya i don't know what condition the car was in.... according to the seller both wings were a little rusty but he had new genuine wings to be fitted.... lads with spray booths would repaint a whole car and refurb wheels for 2k... which would of been the biggest job with that car...

the r129's are not very expensive to maintain mechanically in general once they have been maintained in their lifetime...

Condescending or what?

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Condescending or what?

God no, that was a genuine question.... I only ask as w124man seems well up on a lot of the w124 & r129's doing the rounds.... something tell me he might know more about that car?

It goes without saying 2k might not touch the surface in terms of restoring a 500 SL but equally depending on the car 2k might not touch the surface when restoring a Fiesta... In my opinion what you spend on restoring a car depends on two things... how bad the car is and what standard you want the car to be when finished...

I totally agree with what w124man is saying if you were to consider it in terms of cost of replacing a timing belt on a Ferrari as opposed to a Starlet... my point is every situation is different... no two cars are the exact same...its very specific to whats required at the outset....

I am not familiar with that particular car, no, but I do own an R129 and I am very aware of the costs of keeping one of these cars in good condition. A top end refurb on a V8 would be well in excess of 2k never mind attending to the rest of the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Haven’t been on this thread in days but nearly ever link I’ve clicked on has been sold. How are they all selling with the Covid? There was a checkpoint literally outside my front door the other day

L-M wrote: »
    Haven’t been on this thread in days but nearly ever link I’ve clicked on has been sold. How are they all selling with the Covid? There was a checkpoint literally outside my front door the other day
    strange alright...I was thinking the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

L-M wrote: »
    oceanman wrote: »
    strange alright...I was thinking the same.

Me too - was thinking that a day or two back when I looking through some Donedeal saves and removed a bunch marked "sold"!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,514 ✭✭✭jmreire

supervento wrote: »
    Not a bargain but these Land Cruisers are nice....

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/landcruiser/24605550

If you wanted a good reliable workhorse, the LC is the one to go for. At home in the mountains, in snow and ice, in the desert in the 40+ temp, or in the mud and wet, or in a river. its in its element and what it was designed for. Not so much a daily driver in the city though, it's not especially frugal on diesel, and its high centre of gravity means that you treat it with respect when cornering. Its not everyones cup of tea in terms of their ideal vehicle, but that depends on what you want it for. 300'000 Klms is only at the baby stage for it. Properly serviced, it will reach 900'000 Klms +

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Me too - was thinking that a day or two back when I looking through some Donedeal saves and removed a bunch marked "sold"!

They could also be just withdrawn, dd doesnt differentiate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭noelf

1987 Corsa 41000 miles no price ..

bolandsclassic.ie

That’s a decent price for a hardtop with NCT

• Registered Users Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭con747

Posted this up a while ago, still for sale I think. "Stunning example of the flagship 500 SEL Mercedes. This vehicle has an interesting history"
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-1982-500-sel/24564889

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

con747 wrote: »
    Posted this up a while ago, still for sale I think. "Stunning example of the flagship 500 SEL Mercedes. This vehicle has an interesting history"
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-1982-500-sel/24564889

Poor pictures of a dirty car as well as sales bumpf rather than real information regarding the condition of the car would put me off. They probably do the car a real injustice too.

Only good ones are making this sort of money and I dont think this is a good one, or at least I cant tell from the ad.
    Personally I dont like the colour / wheel combo either - but thats subjective.

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Poor pictures of a dirty car as well as sales bumpf rather than real information regarding the condition of the car would put me off. They probably do the car a real injustice too.

Only good ones are making this sort of money and I dont think this is a good one, or at least I cant tell from the ad.
    Personally I dont like the colour / wheel combo either - but thats subjective.
    yeah they are definitely not doing themselves any favours with the quality of the photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

+1

Seems very strong money for what it is. They could have at least got it tested. The car has been up for sale for several months now.

+2 for that.

First two words put me off straight away. It is far from a stunning example and it isn't rare either. Interesting spec though but I fail to see whats interesting about the history. The wheels are wrong too!

• Advertisement

another one sold.... stuff still being snapped up..

Advertisement