Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

w124man wrote: »
    Ex Japan

The BJ40 on the left has an AUS (NSW?) plate on the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Correct! Obviously transferred to the UK (N.I.) register many years ago (and then transferred to that Rolls Royce).

'VIP 1' is owned by Roman Obramovich and is on his classic Rolls Royce cabriolet (often seen in Monaco). The reg cost him c.£250,000 several years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

w124man wrote: »
    It was sold some time ago for £8500, taken around Europe, blew its engine up and was cobbled back together. The guy who sold it for £8500 was laughing all the way to the bank.

Still worth serious money in Germany that, which is where it probably came from. Engines are cheap enough to buy fully reconditioned from a reputable source.

I think it's a fake number. VIP 1 was only issued as a one off (possibly to the Popemobile in '79), Kilkenny finished on UIP back in 1986 before the changeover.

The reg plate alone is worth a lot more than the car, and the car looks to be worth it's asking price, provided it's not hiding something.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

VIP 8 is on a Morris Minor van in Kilkenny I believe..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Red Kev wrote: »

I think it's a fake number. VIP 1 was only issued as a one off (possibly to the Popemobile in '79),.

Always thought it was on a Granada for some reason....

edit: No, it was a jaguar zj6 belonging to Bill Finnegan. Killkeny CoCo gave him the plate (issued in 1971) for his work in founding the local beer festival. The one on the popemobile was a fake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Who wants vip2 anyway, that's like admitting you're only 2nd best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Who wants vip2 anyway, that's like admitting you're only 2nd best.
    Unless it's co-owned by twins!

red sean wrote: »
    Unless it's co-owned by twins!

But they'd always be fighting for who drives VIP1, I know! I'll buy it for the wife.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

kev1.3s wrote: »
    But they'd always be fighting for who drives VIP1, I know! I'll buy it for the wife.....

If I got VIP 1 and VIP 2, for myself and herself I know who'd end out driving VIP 2. :(

If I got VIP 1 and VIP 2, for myself and herself I know who'd end out driving VIP 2. :(

Ah come on man! It's a interest chat room, can't you not at least pretend to wear the trousers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭w124man

Still worth serious money in Germany that, which is where it probably came from. Engines are cheap enough to buy fully reconditioned from a reputable source.

It certainly isn't worth that money. I've owned T3 Syncro's for almost 20 years now and while they are increasing in value that particular one isn't worth that asking price. It did come from Germany and wasnt a great one when it arrived into the UK and its previous owners didn't spend the money on it that it needed. There will be another one for sale soon and an original one at that. Keep an eye out

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....I think it's a fake number. VIP 1 was only issued as a one off (possibly to the Popemobile in '79), Kilkenny finished on UIP back in 1986 before the changeover.....
    Always thought it was on a Granada for some reason....

edit: No, it was a jaguar zj6 belonging to Bill Finnegan. Killkeny CoCo gave him the plate (issued in 1971) for his work in founding the local beer festival. The one on the popemobile was a fake
    The black Ford Granada that was used to transfer the Pope to/from plane/helicopter had the reg VIP 1 - not the actual Popemobile which was only used for touring through the crowds.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The black Ford Granada that was used to transfer the Pope to/from plane/helicopter had the reg VIP 1 - not the actual Popemobile which was only used for touring through the crowds.
    Managed to did this out! (I'm open to correction but wasn't that subsequently acquired by McGovern Undertakers in Letterkenny for conversion to a hearse?)

IMG_1348_zpsf5cvca0a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭w124man

Love it. Such a funky little thing ..... mine's a 1990 Fox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

NTE3Zjk4N2E5YTQzMWE2ZmU2MmIxODQzZWEwODhmNjiMySBOfHRkM6oP2Wwjv-1gaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MDI0MDQ0MHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

only 4 days to buy it. Funny but i was on recently with the same gist...

https://www.donedeal.co.uk/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-w463-gwagon/13086806

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

Gents, comments or feedback on this would be welcome, i fancy one of these old bricks

91 Volvo 240 estate, auto (has to be so that Mrs tc20 can also drive it)
    These things last forever don' they?
    I know the ad is up a while at this stage

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-240-gl/13140520

thanks

NCT out since May 2015 on the 240, so a bit pricey at €1500 imo! It does look nice though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭selectamatic

looks clean and these are great reliable old cars. outta test since may so check for rust and suspension rattles.
    The back seems to be sitting a bit low perhaps worn shocks/springs although this can be common in old estate cars.
    you should be able to haggle a nice bit off the asking price since its up a while so that'd help with any repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

^ re the rust issues, is there anywhere in particular to watch out for with these? (sills, etc?)
    It does look a bit low at the rear, (pic 6 mostly) but could possibly be the camera angle too.
    I'd prefer one with even a bit of test, and although the cabin hides the miles well, there's no pic of the loadbay. Probably a 3 speed auto too, so she'll like a drink, but i wouldn't be putting big miles on it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

He says it's immaculate so I would figure he would have no problem in getting an NCT. Looks in fab condition.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭selectamatic

tc20 wrote: »
    ^ re the rust issues, is there anywhere in particular to watch out for with these? (sills, etc?)
    It does look a bit low at the rear, (pic 6 mostly) but could possibly be the camera angle too.
    I'd prefer one with even a bit of test, and although the cabin hides the miles well, there's no pic of the loadbay. Probably a 3 speed auto too, so she'll like a drink, but i wouldn't be putting big miles on it anyway.

http://www.volvoenthusiastsclub.co.uk/buyersguides/200/buyguide.htm

When I was in the market for one I found this buyers guide to be very useful and comprehensive.
    Sadly circumstances changed and I didn't follow my plans through.
    A 240 is still high on my wish list for the future :cool:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Sills, bottom of the tailgate, spring pans at the rear, spare wheel well. They last for ages, then they like to let go. :D
    tc20 wrote: »
    Probably a 3 speed auto too, so she'll like a drink, but i wouldn't be putting big miles on it anyway.

3+o/d. I used to have a 1985 model (B230A with AW70/71(?) autobox). Had c. 150k on the clock. It shat it's transmission because the trans oil cooler is combined with the radiator and coolant mixed with ATF. The o/d is a little square button on the right of the selector knob. Relay can play up, so it loses the o/d. When o/d is disengaged a yellow up arrow warning light comes bottom right of the instrument panel.

The autobox was replaced, a new rad with separate oil cooler strapped in front of the rad fitted and it was good for a while, then rust was catching up with it and the output seal on the autobox went so it had a right old thirst for ATF. This was a carb model and it was thirsty alright. Some of the fuel tank hoses had perished and it would dump petrol if you put more than 1/2 a tank in.

New in 1985. Dad bought it 1988, used as family car until 1992. Kept as mother's car from 1992-1998/9 then I finished it off* around 2000. :o

I wouldn't bother with a 1990, might as well push the boat out for a pre-87 one.

*actually, I didn't finish it off personally - couldn't afford insurance or petrol (or ATF for that matter) and had other motors taking priority. Tried to sell it for £200, but no takers. Gave it away to a mate who between him and as his friends used it as a pool car for about another 6 months and then I think it ended up becoming a garden feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Kevin_Herron

This looks like an excellent project and well worth the money.
    A charming car with a good history.
    https://www.donedeal.co.uk/vintagecars-for-sale/jaguar/13498512

This looks like an excellent project and well worth the money.
    A charming car with a good history.
    https://www.donedeal.co.uk/vintagecars-for-sale/jaguar/13498512

That's lovely. Didn't know they were made in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Gone already Kevin. What was it and how much were they looking for?

That's lovely. Didn't know they were made in Dublin

Yes, assembled by Caveys on Camden Street, where the Concern building is now.

unkel wrote: »
    Gone already Kevin. What was it and how much were they looking for?

I'm really not surprised!

It was a black Jaguar Mk2, 2.4 manual.
    DAI404 was the reg, in one family for 54 years.

€4000 was the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭jimmythedivil

Saw this in one of the covered car parks in cork airport, hasn't moved for a while:

http://classiccarsales.ie/ads/skoda-130gl-skoda-rapid-130/

Has a Skoda main dealer sticker from 'Carrigtwohill Motors' on the rear window

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

No prices on the skoda,

Edit,
    No hang on rewind there a sec
    Poolcar?

Advertisement