Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Neither of those names gents. He said he had a Monza and something else, so it’s going to a good home. I’m kind of raging I sold it, it’s going to be a fantastic car once it’s sold, especially with the history and spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Neither of those names gents. He said he had a Monza and something else, so it’s going to a good home. I’m kind of raging I sold it, it’s going to be a fantastic car once it’s sold, especially with the history and spec.

Is it a white original Irish Monza?

Looked a good car. I was trying to figure out how many projects you've bought and flipped without finishing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Now the dilemma: w124 or a 190!?

On a budget of €3k max, deffo the W201

They are superb, underrated cars and there are plenty of them around for very reasonable money. These at the time were not cheaper, more junior cars built to a cheaper cost (like some other makes did, like BMW who set the trend of the junior executive car), these were over engineered mini S-class cars sold for a cheaper price

For that budget you will not get a decent W124 unless it is still a bit away from classic motor tax. Now obviously there are no coupe or estate versions of the W201, so if you want one of those, you'll have to go W124

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

unkel wrote: »
    . Now obviously there are no coupe or estate versions of the W201, so if you want one of those, you'll have to go W124

How about a coupe/estate crossover W201? I saw one of these on a stand at a car show in Germany around 1989. Looks worse than the pics below in real life, rear door and lights are off a W124. Same company had a gorgeous pillarless 190 Coupe on the same stand.

190e-hatch-lead-image-1.jpg?quality=85&width=1440&quality=70

message-editor%2F1590104307050-190ehatchfrontview.png?quality=60

message-editor%2F1590107321518-02schulz-tuningw201mercedes-benz190e2.6city1991160cv.jpg?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Was his name Nigel, by any chance?

What's your plan...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

CoBo55 wrote: »
    What's your plan...

Martin only wants what's best for him.

---
    * I managed to resist making an XTC comment last night. You're weak! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

He must be happy in his work!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

There's no senses working overtime in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

some lads showing their age around here alright

Martin only wants what's best for him.

---
    * I managed to resist making an XTC comment last night. You're weak! :p

Only in the presence of beauty...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Ko Chow

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/diahatsu-charade-diesel-van-/25835983

Charade van, did anywhere else go in for these supermini vans the way we did in Ireland? NCT 7-21 and bonus points for what look to be the original reg plates. No idea if 2 and a half grand constitutes a bargain.

Enjoyed this lad's resto of a passenger one:

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLG3xGrGq4VMG3Fdc66QZrXrQV18m59v9E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Beltby

Ko Chow wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/diahatsu-charade-diesel-van-/25835983

Charade van, did anywhere else go in for these supermini vans the way we did in Ireland? NCT 7-21 and bonus points for what look to be the original reg plates. No idea if 2 and a half grand constitutes a bargain.

Enjoyed this lad's resto of a passenger one:

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLG3xGrGq4VMG3Fdc66QZrXrQV18m59v9E

They were reputed to do over 100mpg under ideal conditions. I always wondered with modern tech and advances, why a modern equivalent couldn't be built. I mean, how hard would it be to build a 1.0 turbo diesel supermini?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

KevRossi wrote: »
    How about a coupe/estate crossover W201? I saw one of these on a stand at a car show in Germany around 1989. Looks worse than the pics below in real life, rear door and lights are off a W124. Same company had a gorgeous pillarless 190 Coupe on the same stand.

190e-hatch-lead-image-1.jpg?quality=85&width=1440&quality=70

A jaysis, there was no need to show that. That's just shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Beltby wrote: »
    They were reputed to do over 100mpg under ideal conditions. I always wondered with modern tech and advances, why a modern equivalent couldn't be built. I mean, how hard would it be to build a 1.0 turbo diesel supermini?

The 1.3 Fiat unit is the smallest modern 4 cylinder and that's nearly 20 years old. Diesel engines are costly to make and small diesel engines are typically fitted to small cars which have tiny profit margins. You won't see another small capacity 4 cylinder turbo diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

outfox wrote: »
    A jaysis, there was no need to show that. That's just shocking.

Looks like a cut'n'shut with a front end of a 190 and the arse of an Austin Princess

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

alias no.9 wrote: »
    The 1.3 Fiat unit is the smallest modern 4 cylinder and that's nearly 20 years old. Diesel engines are costly to make and small diesel engines are typically fitted to small cars which have tiny profit margins. You won't see another small capacity 4 cylinder turbo diesel.

I had the misfortune to have to rebuild a Fiat Uno Diesel back in the day (89 /90)

Long story short, a customer drove from Italy to UK in it, and then engine went la-la. Not surprised tbh, they must have caned it to get across Europe in it.

Anyhoo, it was smoking like a Deltec when we got it, but Fiat UK had a set of rings on the shelf for it, to cover such oddball eventualities I assume, and I put it back together. Slow is not the word.

Also, the engine was actually a 'converted' petrol. Had a Bosch fuel pump bolted up on an auxiliary bracket on the head, with a belt; injectors went where the spark plugs were on the petrol, and iirc it had some extra head bolts.

Block, etc were all std 1.3 petrol.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Love these old Jap saloons, if this one is as good as it looks it would be a lovely motor: https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/toyota-cressida/25813167

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I have never seen that Stag around kilbeggan. I f i had i would remember it.

Lovely looking car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

almostover wrote: »
    Love these old Jap saloons, if this one is as good as it looks it would be a lovely motor: https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/toyota-cressida/25813167

I'm amazed thats still up and not sold.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

MOt history is good to. Only driven 130 mile in the last 4 1/2 years.

I wonder why??

kadman wrote: »
    MOt history is good to. Only driven 130 mile in the last 4 1/2 years.

I wonder why??

Because it's a heap of scrap...

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Because it's a heap of scrap...

How do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭con747

oceanman wrote: »

Looking for 4k sterling on cars and classic, I could see a lot of money going into it.Could be wrong though.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

con747 wrote: »
    Looking for 4k sterling on cars and classic, I could see a lot of money going into it.Could be wrong though.
    If the body is solid its worth 4k but I hate those passive aggressive ad's, if he wants to keep it why offer it for sale.

con747 wrote: »

No you're not wrong, that car needs a shed load of money to be done properly. They weren't called the ****fire for nothing. You'd need the V.C.to leave the two doors open at the same time (and close them again)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Can anyone explain the values of G Wagons? Even the very worst shed is put up with a price tag approaching 10k

• Advertisement

Advertisement