Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

New MOT but these advisories, to monitor.

Oil leak, but not excessive (8.4.1 (a) (i))
    Oil leak, but not excessive rear diff (8.4.1 (a) (i))
    both outersills corroded also nearswde rear arch
    variuse components some corroding under side
    hand brake has some travel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭TigerTim

kadman wrote: »
    New MOT but these advisories, to monitor.

Oil leak, but not excessive (8.4.1 (a) (i))
    Oil leak, but not excessive rear diff (8.4.1 (a) (i))
    both outersills corroded also nearswde rear arch
    variuse components some corroding under side
    hand brake has some travel

That sounds it wouldn't pass the NCT here. MOT doesn't seem to be as strict as our NCT.

T.

TigerTim wrote: »
    That sounds it wouldn't pass the NCT here. MOT doesn't seem to be as strict as our NCT.

T.

Definitely would not pass an NCT. I have had a car fail with a finger nail size
    hole under the outer edge of an arch. No amount of arguing solved it.

The mercs MOT has some amount of future welding written all over it. Nothing wrong with that if you are aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

kadman wrote: »
    Definitely would not pass an NCT. I have had a car fail with a finger nail size
    hole under the outer edge of an arch. No amount of arguing solved it.

The mercs MOT has some amount of future welding written all over it. Nothing wrong with that if you are aware.

The MOT characterises rust as either structural (within a set distance of a stress point) or cosmetic. I thought the NCT used more or less the same criteria? They have failed a car on me for rust on a cill that was miles from structural, but it was a hole (that would just get worse) so I was fine with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The MOT characterises rust as either structural (within a set distance of a stress point) or cosmetic. I thought the NCT used more or less the same criteria? They have failed a car on me for rust on a cill that was miles from structural, but it was a hole (that would just get worse) so I was fine with it.

I brought a car in with a fresh MOT, back before you could convert that into an NCT. It had advisories about rust. Put it through the NCT and the car needed 19 hours of welding

NCT is far stricter than MOT

That "U FOUND ME" fella no doubt is very aware of this :D

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    I brought a car in with a fresh MOT, back before you could convert that into an NCT. It had advisories about rust. Put it through the NCT and the car needed 19 hours of welding

NCT is far stricter than MOT

That "U FOUND ME" fella no doubt is very aware of this :D

Do you really think there is *that* much difference between them? That an advisory in the UK is equal to 19 (19!) hours of welding in Ireland? Are you sure you didnt just buy a dodgy motor with a snide MOT - they used to be very easy to come by.

Looking at figures on Cartell for pass rates for 4 year old cars in UK and Ireland, and the numbers are pretty consistent.

When it comes to rust and an NCT, if they see it, they fail it.

I had the wifes cinquecento in for a test once. It passed as usual.

I was convinced it would fail on the exhaust, it didn't.

I then took off the exhaust to discover it was split on the top of the silencer,

the full length of the silencer..

Nct is always a gamble, and full of surprises.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

That 300e is sold already.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

RobAMerc wrote: »
    dunno if its a bargain but its lovely ! Volvo

YWRhMDJiZjE2ODc3OTM2NTFiOGJhNmJkNWZiNThjMjQjHbN0RIV3Dg6Tp6wTMVO1aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTY5MTU4MDl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

I seem to remember those being a fairly popular car in the late 80s/90s here.
    I guess the Volvo badge and image had a certain draw as they were fairly well priced I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

You'd wonder why the head gasket is "done" on the MR2.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭CoBo55

con747 wrote: »

They are two rough yokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

con747 wrote: »
    Always liked the shape of these.
    Fiat. X19 €? https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/fiat-x19/26038464

I'm liking the Fiat too - asking €4500 though.:cool:

And I have not 1, but 2, Lancia 2.0 Twincams lying around that could be persuaded in there I reckon.......... :rolleyes:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

galwaytt wrote: »
    For that Fiat?! It doesn't even have a badge.

I'd say it bends going over ramps. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Dades wrote: »
    For that Fiat?! It doesn't even have a badge.

I'd say it bends going over ramps. :pac:

:D:D

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/88-audi-100-avant-5e-automatic/26044135

OTA3NjMyNDYxNGY1ZTlmN2JjNzgwY2I4ZGU3MTYyZTCuwERBM1AudzEF6Cd6BybBaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTczNzE2ODh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Nice alternative to a W124 estate, 5 cyl Audi 100 with a heap of alleged recent work done and a years NCT, €3650

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/88-audi-100-avant-5e-automatic/26044135

OTA3NjMyNDYxNGY1ZTlmN2JjNzgwY2I4ZGU3MTYyZTCuwERBM1AudzEF6Cd6BybBaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTczNzE2ODh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Nice alternative to a W124 estate, 5 cyl Audi 100 with a heap of alleged recent work done and a years NCT, €3650
    Strong money for a car that looks like it was painted on the side of the road. The side pictured looks at least 3 different shades

Nice boat, but looks rough. No interior pictures is not promising. If all the ad claims is true then it's a decent buy at around the €2k mark imho

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

190E Auto, 08/21, €2,800

Could do with a clean up, poor photos, 'rust spots' may be ominous, but could be worth a look.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1985-mercedes-190e/26041532

ZjZjZDE4NjI1YzA1ZWMwOTFmYWUxZDdjMTBlNTE5OTicf4Df9wEFh9IsOxa0AMIxaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTczMzgxMzJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Decent price for a T-model, but it's still 5-6 years out from classic tax. Still an excellent daily driver. LPG helps if you have handy access to it. Nice interior, pics are a bit frustrating.

E200T Auto 01/21, €3650.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-w124-estste-2-0-lpg-new-nct-swap/25096651

ZjE0ZjMwY2U0NzIwMjhkOTRkNTUzM2JlZGRhYTY2NTT4BWnOQ2COD8Qp3hEb7UPRaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTQ4NDQ1MjV8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

NTc1OTA4ZThjNmRmMzc0NTIyOTFhMjgxNzU0MWM4ZmUn9KejMrR6kMsd_HgKCmUNaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTIyNzkxMjR8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

galwaytt wrote: »

And I have not 1, but 2, Lancia 2.0 Twincams lying around that could be persuaded in there I reckon.......... :rolleyes:

You'll have a hell a job, the carbs/exhaust are the other way round on that engine from the sohc. The Uno turbo engine is a neater fit.

Not impossible, but a lot of fab involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I do love them.

But it has the air of one that was for sale last March 2019 in tipperary that I was tempted to go see.

Still have the link from that one, no bloody pics though to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I do love them.

But it has the air of one that was for sale last March 2019 in tipperary that I was tempted to go see.

Still have the link from that one, no bloody pics though to confirm.
    That one was a ZV plate

KevRossi wrote: »
    190E Auto, 08/21, €2,800

That looks like a wreck compared with the one I sold a few months ago for just a few hundred more

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Seb needs his arse kicked for the state of the pics in that ad, I would wonder on his intent on actually selling it.
    Its rather a nice car and he is a clown or its a wreck and hes afraid it shows in the pics

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

KevRossi wrote: »
    Decent price for a T-model, but it's still 5-6 years out from classic tax. Still an excellent daily driver. LPG helps if you have handy access to it. Nice interior, pics are a bit frustrating.

E200T Auto 01/21, €3650.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-w124-estste-2-0-lpg-new-nct-swap/25096651

ZjE0ZjMwY2U0NzIwMjhkOTRkNTUzM2JlZGRhYTY2NTT4BWnOQ2COD8Qp3hEb7UPRaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTQ4NDQ1MjV8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

NTc1OTA4ZThjNmRmMzc0NTIyOTFhMjgxNzU0MWM4ZmUn9KejMrR6kMsd_HgKCmUNaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTIyNzkxMjR8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Arent our year plates really a pain ?
    I mean if we had non year specific or private plates, 80% of folks would never know thats an 25 year old car and it would be totally respectable transport.

Because of the plate 50% of drivers see an old banger and the value of it is so low ( coupled with tax obvs )

I suppose its good news to those of us who want good metal cheap !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

ba_barabus wrote: »
    That one was a ZV plate

Was it? Convincing myself here earlier it was an original Irish car.

Well remembered anyway. Amazing what we can put our minds to when we want to. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Was it? Convincing myself here earlier it was an original Irish car.

Well remembered anyway. Amazing what we can put our minds to when we want to. :)

I live not too far away from where it was. Always great cars around Nenagh

Advertisement