Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Cheers Kev, thats mine. Just sailed through the NCT this afternoon as expected. It is a lovely little car and has had a very easy life. Came from the Christian Brothers in Monkstown. Have been driving it myself the last few weeks, well suited to modern traffic as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

KevRossi wrote: »
    I'm thinking of trying to learn to weld over the winter. It might be a decent one to try out on if he knocks several hundred off. I've very fond memories of those cars. When I first went to Germany in 1989, it was one of the cars of choice of students and the low paid - along with the 2CV and Beetle. They were know as the /8er over there. I knew personally of several diesel versions that hit 500-600,000 Km and more and Mercedes are aware of a number of them hitting 1,000,000 Km. This doesn't even count bush taxis around the world. There was one driver I met a few times in Morocco who used to drive Boujdour to Dakhla and back 6 days a week; a 700 Km return trip; 3 in the front, 4 in the back.

Ad gone. Seen it was based in ballyvaughan, seaside town in clare. Looked like a full strip down and onto a rotisserie job!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Interslice wrote: »
    Ad gone. Seen it was based in ballyvaughan, seaside town in clare. Looked like a full strip down and onto a rotisserie job!
    It was listed as Dublin also so Donedeal may have removed it. Worth scrap value going by the pics

• Registered Users Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I'm thinking of trying to learn to weld over the winter. It might be a decent one to try out on if he knocks several hundred off. I've very fond memories of those cars. When I first went to Germany in 1989, it was one of the cars of choice of students and the low paid - along with the 2CV and Beetle. They were know as the /8er over there. I knew personally of several diesel versions that hit 500-600,000 Km and more and Mercedes are aware of a number of them hitting 1,000,000 Km. This doesn't even count bush taxis around the world. There was one driver I met a few times in Morocco who used to drive Boujdour to Dakhla and back 6 days a week; a 700 Km return trip; 3 in the front, 4 in the back.

Take off the rose tinted specs that yoke was bolloxed it would break your heart and wallet long before you'd get the Atlantic out of her...

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

I'm thinking of trying to learn to weld over the winter.

Get something that doesn't look that rotten, rust is always two or three times as bad as it looks on on the surface. Rust repair is a job that can quickly spiral out of control.

Generally, if there is a hole that you can fit your finger in, the metal around it the size of your hand will need replacing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Testacalda wrote: »
    Get something that doesn't look that rotten, rust is always two or three times as bad as it looks on on the surface. Rust repair is a job that can quickly spiral out of control.

Generally, if there is a hole that you can fit your finger in, the metal around it the size of your hand will need replacing.

I'd know the rust spots areas on W114 and W123's better than anything else. I'd make a balls of it, as I've never welded before, which is why a POS like that would suit to practice on. On the other hand you need something to be able to weld onto and that yoke would have very little metal left. It's way too expensvie for what it is anyway.

I might be sourcing a Czech reg Skoda 110 which seems to be doable, so I might try that instead.

There again I might just set the garage on fire on my first day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Pick up a cheap mig welder and head down the local scrappy for bits i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

My father had me welding on farm gates, then old machinery before he let me near a car!

And those first ones were old heralds and spitfires with heavy gauge chassis legs.

Perfect the art with an arc welder, and then mig and tig will be a breeze.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I'd know the rust spots areas on W114 and W123's better than anything else. I'd make a balls of it, as I've never welded before, which is why a POS like that would suit to practice on. On the other hand you need something to be able to weld onto and that yoke would have very little metal left. It's way too expensvie for what it is anyway.

I might be sourcing a Czech reg Skoda 110 which seems to be doable, so I might try that instead.

There again I might just set the garage on fire on my first day out.

If you do, let me know I think I have a couple of skoda manuals from that era
    you can have,:)

I had a few skoda 110, 110 R's, 1000, and 1100 . Great cars, and the best road holders of the many cars I have had.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Proper instruction at the start from a pro will do away with the endless hours of frustration
    at blowing holes in decent metal, that will drive you to the brink of despair.

You just cant beat the proper advice at the outset, it will pay dividends.

• Advertisement

Seems to be a fair price for what looks to be a clean car. FSH. 1995 UK imported E220 Auto, 05/21, €2,950. The low spec suits it.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-e220-w124-full-msl-service-history/25858157

NTZjYmEzMjJjMmI1MTFlZDRmMGY4NjFkNjgxMDdjMmPKKVBkeXrXMd2qxJnv1-sjaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTkwNDc4NTl8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

MzgyZDE3ZGJiMjMxZmNkODIwNzM4YTVhYzgzMWJmNWErtVD9pBQAQOb1phLF9T3JaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTkwNDc4NTd8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Pricey, but looks to be a very original and unpainted 1980 'Desert Scorpion'. Sunroof is a nice touch. €7,950

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/renault-5-renault-4-tl/26227918

YzBiMzRhNmI0YzE3MTMxNWQ4ZTE2YWIyMDRiNTg3ZmQtoSEdRPWX1VEqr-ms4kvXaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTkwODcxMDB8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Pricey, but looks to be a very original and unpainted 1980 'Desert Scorpion'. Sunroof is a nice touch. €7,950

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/renault-5-renault-4-tl/26227918

YzBiMzRhNmI0YzE3MTMxNWQ4ZTE2YWIyMDRiNTg3ZmQtoSEdRPWX1VEqr-ms4kvXaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTkwODcxMDB8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg
    Sorry but no. There’s no way I’d pay nearly 8 grand for a 4L

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Seems to be a fair price for what looks to be a clean car. FSH. 1995 UK imported E220 Auto, 05/21, €2,950. The low spec suits it.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-e220-w124-full-msl-service-history/25858157

NTZjYmEzMjJjMmI1MTFlZDRmMGY4NjFkNjgxMDdjMmPKKVBkeXrXMd2qxJnv1-sjaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTkwNDc4NTl8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

MzgyZDE3ZGJiMjMxZmNkODIwNzM4YTVhYzgzMWJmNWErtVD9pBQAQOb1phLF9T3JaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTkwNDc4NTd8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

That looks like a comfortable oul lump.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭noelf

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Sorry but no. There’s no way I’d pay nearly 8 grand for a 4L

https://www.erclassics.com/renault-r4-savane-1988-r2200/

• Registered Users Posts: 40,427 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭con747

Nearly be worth buying to put in your shed till the time comes https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1986-ford-granada-hearse/26230624

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

con747 wrote: »
    Nearly be worth buying to put in your shed till the time comes https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1986-ford-granada-hearse/26230624

What time ? It’s on vintage tax already ?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

The time when tax makes no difference to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

4ipwvk.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

con747 wrote: »
    Be handy for burying a stiff... :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

elperello wrote: »

Diesel unfortunately.

Fortunately it won't be coming to Ireland any time soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Diesel and manual, wouldn't be my first choice (or second, or third) but still for 800 quid it looks like a nice car! Loads of MOT too. Could make an interesting classic/young timer winter hack for someone living in the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Edit

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Diesel and manual, wouldn't be my first choice (or second, or third) but still for 800 quid it looks like a nice car! Loads of MOT too. Could make an interesting classic/young timer winter hack for someone living in the north.

Gone fairly quick.
    My hunch is someone got a bargain.

https://youtu.be/M9YE9oiGHpY

1990 Toyota MR2 ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I know it's old, I know it's very very clean and all that, but sweet Jesus it's bloody ugly and the name is so wrong for western shores, I'm sure someone will buy it but it has nothing going for it in the slightest.

• Advertisement

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I know it's old, I know it's very very clean and all that, but sweet Jesus it's bloody ugly and the name is so wrong for western shores, I'm sure someone will buy it but it has nothing going for it in the slightest.

That's what makes it so appealing 😁

Advertisement