Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

Yes, be very careful of that because they will look for a ferry ticket or something to say the car hasn't been in the country for more than 30 days. For every day after that there is a penalty.

Would it solve the problem if you were to purchase the car in Northern Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

unfit2006 wrote: »
    Would it solve the problem if you were to purchase the car in Northern Ireland ?

That I do not know. I'm not sure of the legality of a mainland UK reg car in the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

That I do not know. I'm not sure of the legality of a mainland UK reg car in the North.

Perfectly legal. There's no obligation to exchange GB plates for NI plates, or vice-versa (unless you want to).

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

I have bought several U.K. Reg. cars here that have been here for several years, and never had any problem clearing them. Make sure you get an Invoice from the seller here, and have all the other paper work in order. Particularly, that the Vin Number is the same as the V5. Good Luck with your purchase.

@tc20 - if you end up buying, please do away with the clear indicator lenses ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

@ Duke - if i do, it will be amber all the way Baby!:cool:

Plan B perhaps?

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/honda-accord/14347233

'91 Accord auto, 1 owner, well minded, asking €750!
    Early 90s exec-onomics.

tc20 wrote: »
    @ Duke - if i do, it will be amber all the way Baby!:cool:

Plan B perhaps?

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/honda-accord/14347233

'91 Accord auto, 1 owner, well minded, asking €750!
    Early 90s exec-onomics.

Ohh, nice choice(s) sir!

The Accord looks nice...Dalkey car, so no expense spared I'll bet :pac: Looks like a dent on the passenger side door, as well as the boot lid. To be expected on an old car though, I suppose

^ good spotting on the passenger door dent, saw the bootlid, and the alloys could do with refurbing or changing, though @ €750 sure where would you get it?

mattroche wrote: »
    I have bought several U.K. Reg. cars here that have been here for several years, and never had any problem clearing them. Make sure you get an Invoice from the seller here, and have all the other paper work in order. Particularly, that the Vin Number is the same as the V5. Good Luck with your purchase.

PM sent

The dent on the bootlid would annoy me more so than the door! It looks small though, one of those dent removal places might be able to pull it out cheap enough

The market is very much on your side buying something like that I should imagine. Get it good and cheap and it will last for a long time yet with 112k on the clock.

I get the feeling you might just be after an automatic, but this is an absolute gem. 1 owner, 38k miles and with long tax and test for €950

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/95-red-honda-accord-2-0i-4dr-petrol-nct-amp-taxed/14292563

NWU1ODU0ZWQ3MjlmMGUyZGZlYWRjNTgyYzZlNTlhZmRBf37qMo6_RNpMsry1KzPnaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NjgwODA0Mnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Advertisement

^ jeez, that's another long time keeper for someone.

Yep, Mrs tc20 only has an auto licence, so anything I buy would have to have the auto box, as she'll be driving as much as myself

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭welder

early-ish W124 230 ('88)
    asking just over €2k
    on UK plates, €600 VRT or thereabouts
    claimed only 3 owners
    nice colour combo :cool:

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-w124-230e-automatic/14347858

No VRT to worry about with this one:

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-e200/14142041

• Registered Users Posts: 65,377 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

welder wrote: »

Hasn't had an NCT in about a decade.

Given that, the asking price is ridiculous imho...

^ I had a look on the NCT site, apparently its tested until end March 17??
    Odd the seller doesn't mention that in the ad - in fact he says "no tax no NCT..." :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

^ I had a look on the NCT site, apparently its tested until end March 17??
    Odd the seller doesn't mention that in the ad - in fact he says "no tax no NCT..." :confused:

Expired in March 2010, so as unkel said it hasnt darkened the door of an NCT centre since 2008.

What you are looking at is the "next due date", easily confusing. Once the test has expired its kinda irrelevant.

^ fair play to you 26000 - is there an easy way to find that information, ie when the last test expired?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

^ fair play to you 26000 - is there an easy way to find that information, ie when the last test expired?
    thanks

On the nct website - click the link that specifically says "when is my test due?" - I think thats the one that has the last test expiry as well.

Or "check validity" works as well.

proceed with caution...

having a browse on DD and this Mk2 Golf auto (which has been on the ads for a while now)
    i put the reg into the due date on the NCT site and it came up with:

"Vehicle records indicate this car is scrapped"

the seller looks to be a small time dealer (and golf enthusiast, check his other ads)

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/rare-automatic-mk2-golf/14446968

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭JKerova1

• Advertisement

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    If thats not 90% rust then its definitely worth that money, great little cars. Somebody on here was looking for one last year if I remember correctly.

Thought it was steep enough until I looked on the UK sites and they are selling for double that. Half tempted to take a look at it...

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Yup they are starting to get pricey in the UK. If I had the room i'd buy it myself.

At least the seller is upfront about the arches. Aside from rust, is there anything I should look for? I had a mk2 before but that's a different beast altogether.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

JKerova1 wrote: »
    Thought it was steep enough until I looked on the UK sites and they are selling for double that.
    Issues with insurance here has meant that for the right buyer some serious bargains can be had alright.
    At least the seller is upfront about the arches. Aside from rust, is there anything I should look for?
    The rust will cost a pretty penny to sort out properly, but he includes all the bits and bobs for the main areas of concern, which is great. That it passed an NCT likely means what rot is there is limited enough as it doesn't tend to remain hidden for very long, particularly at the rear wheel arches/sill join. IIRC they put foam in that neck of the woods at the factory with all the issues that would cause. Engine overheating could be an issue with these, so ask about that. Check as much of the original interior parts are present as interior parts can be a nightmare to source. I see the interior has been redone, I presume recovered? Otherwise that's a very nice little car for the money and great craic to drive.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

^ re the MR2, what is the bonnet badge, is it a tuner type akin to Honda/Mugen?

That is really nice. It needs a colour coded bonnet and a decent set of number plates though

^ re the MR2, what is the bonnet badge, is it a tuner type akin to Honda/Mugen?

Think the badge is an eagle, sort of an unofficial MR2 badge that they used on the Jap ones I think. Alot of MR2 owners would fit them themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Think the badge is an eagle, sort of an unofficial MR2 badge that they used on the Jap ones I think. Alot of MR2 owners would fit them themselves.

All the MK1 MR2's came with that badge - also known as the "screaming chicken" !!.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭weadick

TigerTim wrote: »
    All the MK1 MR2's came with that badge - also known as the "screaming chicken" !!.

Didnt realise that thanks!

Anybody else enquire about this car? I have rang a few times now with no answer. Can't understand why people can't just take down their ads when the car is sold.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭MrRolex

Any thoughts on this one?
    Price seems reasonable, as its only one year off vintage tax.
    I have seen some loud MK2 colours over the years but never a banana yellow one!
    Must have been resprayed though, as when one checks the UK reg it says its silver?
    I wonder if the inside of the bonnet and engine bay are still silver?

Sorry can't post link as I am a new user. Its ad number: 14464142 on Donedeal though.

Advertisement