Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Not a bad price for a 928 S4 if it all checks out, prices are going up on these. There used to be a white one with a 89 WW reg around the city centre back in the day.

New NCT, €56 tax. 1988. €16,950

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1988-porsche-928-s4/26366309?campaign=3

YTFhMTFiYWNhMDg1YTlmODY5YWM0YWQxOGQ1M2E0NGX0-uTICRz_-_Sm2e5Al1qWaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjA4ODg3MDZ8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-280-te-petrol-1980/26467199

NGNhMzIzY2Q1OWJlZTFlZjEyYjA4NGZhZDMxN2ZmYmKM1HkhX4VVmXTVMBKmMnOHaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjE4NTg3ODh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

280 TE, €4495

Seems cheap if its not a total shed

The arse is sagging, the self levelling suspension is going. Not sure what they are like now, but it was an expensive fix in the mid-90's. Mine used 11-12l/100 km with a light foot, 17-18l/100 km if you let it rip. Very smooth engine and gearbox for it's time. No reg plate either which is a bit off putting.

What would be involved in sorting the suspension?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭elperello

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1980-porsche-911/26459769

NzhiY2Y3ZDNiNTFjMzAwODEwNmUzMWQxYmI5NTk5YTLPsQ75kwCTv4soIAhe4733aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjE3ODk4Nzh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Potentially decent winter project for someone.

1980 Porsche 924, €1800

No time wasters says the guy advertising a 924 as a 911 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

First of all, you need to find if there is actually anything wrong with it. The fact that the rear looks a bit low, doesn't mean it is damaged.

However, to lift the back you may need to do the following:
    - Start the engine (the SLS will lift the back if it works),
    - The SLS fluid level may just need to be topped up,
    - The SLS valve may need adjusting,
    - The hydraulic pipes may be leaking,
    - Other issues :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭Miscreant

KevRossi wrote: »
    No reg plate either which is a bit off putting.

If you look close enough you can just make out the edges of a Yellow reg plate on the right hand side. Would want to be quick to VRT that one if it is not included in the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

There will be a lot more wrong than just the suspension :p

Seller even says:

"THIS IS A PROJECT AS THERE ARE RUST & BODYWORK ISSUES TO RECTIFY"

I wonder what the MOT history says. Anyone ask for the reg?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I'd love to see what's left of wife and scooter!

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-190-e/26481356

I'd love to see what's left of wife and scooter!

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-190-e/26481356

Hahaha

Came here to post the very same car

Unfortunate prang all the same, looks like a lovely low mileage example otherwise

• Advertisement

Grille, light and bumper are an easy repair, you could drive it around whilst looking for a new wing, or just go ahead and fix it. Agreed that it looks really nice apart from that. Great engine and box combo for the 190 as well.

No NCT and no reg plate is an instant turn-off though.

There is no disc holder in the window so I'm assuming its probably English

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Too expensive for a Cat D write off ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭w124man

The 190E is a €1500 car at the most. The wing can be fixed but that is one hell of a lot of damage for a mobility scooter! What size was the wife?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

That 190 is borderline strong money if it’s Irish, he’s a dreamer if that’s on uk plates

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Redriddick wrote: »

Alan seems to have form for that. He also has a 94 Pajero for sale that was on adverts in Wicklow a couple of weeks ago for €3400. Hefty money at that but turned up with Alan in Meath listed at €7950 but since 'reduced' to €6950....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Alan seems to have form for that. He also has a 94 Pajero for sale that was on adverts in Wicklow a couple of weeks ago for €3400. Hefty money at that but turned up with Alan in Meath listed at €7950 but since 'reduced'
    Originally posted for sale in wicklow for 4800...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Redriddick wrote: »
    kaizersoze wrote: »
    Alan seems to have form for that. He also has a 94 Pajero for sale that was on adverts in Wicklow a couple of weeks ago for €3400. Hefty money at that but turned up with Alan in Meath listed at €7950 but since 'reduced'
    Originally posted for sale in wicklow for 4800...

€3400 in Wicklow on Adverts....

532642.JPG

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/rolls-royce-silver-shadow/26491106

ZGNlNzFlYTBhNDg4MjJiOGU3ZTJkOGFhNjU2Nzg0N2TPjs7JkR1krUJWY_OcV5BzaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjIxMDU2Mjh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Original Irish Silver Shadow with some interesting history and unfortunate damage

Priced at €5k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭FR85

ZGNlNzFlYTBhNDg4MjJiOGU3ZTJkOGFhNjU2Nzg0N2TPjs7JkR1krUJWY_OcV5BzaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjIxMDU2Mjh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Original Irish Silver Shadow with some interesting history and unfortunate damage

Priced at €5k

Looks to have gotten a good kink, look at the grill and the headlamp surround on the passenger side. More then just drivers side damage. That'll end up in Flying Spares I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

FR85 wrote: »
    Looks to have gotten a good kink, look at the grill and the headlamp surround on the passenger side. More then just drivers side damage. That'll end up in Flying Spares I'm sure.
    Is this the one that “fell off the trailer”. Yep, just read the ad again. Saw it a few days ago. Hmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Priced at €5k

Pity that was lovely.

If you go to the last pic in the ad, the one of the old tax book, written in biro

Make - Rolls Model - Royce :)

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭FR85

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Is this the one that “fell off the trailer”. Yep, just read the ad again. Saw it a few days ago. Hmmmm

That's the very fella. Every panel on the right side has damage, I'd say it's too far gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

FR85 wrote: »
    That's the very fella. Every panel on the right side has damage, I'd say it's too far gone.

Even if it was free it would be very expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Was looking at this recently

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/austin-mini-1983/25955389

I like the color and style to it but saw some bits of body work in the pictures that needed work.

So I got onto the guy to see what it was about and was there anymore rust on it other than what I could see.

If that was it I would've taken a punt on it but unfortunately it was not all of it.

He told me there was more rust in the boot and the floor pan and it needed a fair bit of work, unfortunately too much work for me !

I have a craving for one of these things though, very tempted by them, there's a black one in dublin for 4K that looks have decent but the owner doesn't say much about it and it's also registered as green !

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

On a classic, there is always going to be at least 4 times the rust that you can see.

Any thing you can spot gets exponentially bigger once you start digging. It
    definitely does not stay the same.

Unless you have the time, tools and skills to restore a rusty car, save up and buy one already done.

A classic mini for 4k is going to need work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

kadman wrote: »
    On a classic, there is always going to be at least 4 times the rust that you can see.

Any thing you can spot gets exponentially bigger once you start digging. It
    definitely does not stay the same.

Unless you have the time, tools and skills to restore a rusty car, save up and buy one already done.

A classic mini for 4k is going to need work too.

Of course, I'm doing a fair bit of homework on these and looking in the UK too (although if I get one from the UK I'll have to have it vrt'd before December 31st to avoid brexit vat etc.)

The body work I'd like to be good enough, doesn't have to be perfect, I'd be happy to work on the engine etc more so than the body, to me the engine is the easy bit and on a car like the mini there wouldn't be an awful lot in it thankfully

Rare enough car in it's day, even if it was at the beginning of the Celtic Tiger. More reliable than it's successor. Claimed new NCT, site says 01/21. Needs to be checked carefully if it did sit around for 10 years. €8,500.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-cl-500-1998-new-nct-fully-restored/25881113

YmVjZWFkNDUzZTZkMzk5NDk2ZGU5MjYwZWVhZDRlNGZVgqGe0uzzIglwy9O4d-1KaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTk3NzQ2MTZ8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭w124man

I wish I had the balls to buy that!

Advertisement