Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

MrRolex wrote: »
    Any thoughts on this one?
    Price seems reasonable, as its only one year off vintage tax.
    I have seen some loud MK2 colours over the years but never a banana yellow one!
    Must have been resprayed though, as when one checks the UK reg it says its silver?
    I wonder if the inside of the bonnet and engine bay are still silver?

Sorry can't post link as I am a new user. Its ad number: 14464142 on Donedeal though.

For reference

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1988-golf-yellow/14464142

ODhhYjQzOTdjNTViMmE2NDEzMjhmM2VkYTcwMmMyMzMEU9fVHzOmvX8Uv9XPPWLvaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182ODA0ODE2OXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

I kind of like the colour. I'd live with it if the respray was decent; and as you say, have the door jambs etc been done too.

A 1.6 would be somewhat lively in comparison to the 1.3s in most Irish cars

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭MrRolex

Thanks for posting the picture up.
    I quite like it myself, something different.
    Agreed it would want to be a proper respray though.
    I saw a lovely 1987 16V, but sadly the owner had ruined it by respraying it from atlas grey to Mercedes almandine. Don't get me wrong, it was a lovely colour; but the engine bay and door shuts weren't done so it looked a cheap job.
    I wish people would do it in the same colour to keep the car original.
    OK if its an engine out, glass out job though.
    Must be national yellow Golf week as there are also 2x MK1 Golf's in yellow on DD too.
    Don't like the air suspension though, I think it ruins it.
    The other original one is nice though.

Two yellow Mk1s

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mk1-golf/14371438

MDQ5YzI2ODdkMGQ2NzI2M2Y5YzViZWM1NjM0OGM4N2TTNmcec1yN1FClLCj5sgPMaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NzUwMDAzNHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

And

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/vw-golf-gld-1500-diesel/14192318

ODkwZWVkMjZlZWIzNmZhZmRlYWZiMTYyM2FjMDc0ZTHhkRRFiqguXqAo09RN2tOkaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182ODMwOTEyOHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

The second one actually lives quite close to me. Mint is not quite the word for it. I've seen it parked up locally a few times and had a good look around, and it looks better than new.

Would love to know how much he wants for it

Yes those are the two..
    Many thanks for putting them up.
    I prefer the original one, looks mint indeed.
    I suppose no price means he wants top dollar for it.
    I don't blame him, as genuine buyers will call and ask questions.
    I would think its got to be over 6K?
    What do you reckon?
    Actually thinking about it, 57K on a 1979!
    He could probably ask 7-8K for it.
    That 1.5 diesel wouldn't even be run in yet..
    Shame the other lad fitted that air suspension and ruined it.
    If it had standard suspension it would be a lovely car for 5K.

I wouldn't be surprised by a figure like that tbh. It is really nice, would look the part in a VW showroom.

Heres a quick shot of it out and about locally during Summer last year.

IMG_2402_zpsavswfdsb.jpg

• Advertisement

A real stunner!
    I see what you mean about it being mint.
    He wasn't exaggerating when he said its a show car!
    Best Golf on DD at the moment in my opinion.
    Shame its way over my budget as I would love a mint MK1 like that.
    I suppose its back to looking for a MK2 needing work for me so..

• Registered Users Posts: 65,377 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Here's the ad:

linky

Looks decent but you know you are taking some risks? First of all the car doesn't seem to have a current MOT? Even if it had, you will have to put it through the NCT here. And because the car is not yet 30 years old, the VRT you will owe on the car is a minimum of €720

On lower end value "youngtimers", it's usually a better idea to find cars already on Irish plates

Edit - missed the posts on this page, so see that Duke has already put this link up, sorry!

unkel wrote: »
    Here's the ad:

linky

Looks decent but you know you are taking some risks? First of all the car doesn't seem to have a current MOT? Even if it had, you will have to put it through the NCT here. And because the car is not yet 30 years old, the VRT you will owe on the car is a minimum of €720

On lower end value "youngtimers", it's usually a better idea to find cars already on Irish plates

Edit - missed the posts on this page, so see that Duke has already put this link up, sorry!

Agreed, I would want to see more than one picture on the ad before driving all the way to Antrim to view it. Its a risk indeed.
    Personally I get a good feeling if the seller puts the max 10 pictures allowed on Donedeal, and has an in-depth description of work the car has had done etc. Saves calling and travelling to be let down by something rotten. Its true what they say, a picture says a thousand words. Good cars always have loads of them. You make a good point on the VRT too. 720 Euro is a lot to add, and then another year of full fat tax at 636 Euro. Maybe its not the value I first thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Not quite a classic, but just 2 years away. I think this is great value, but its been up a long time so....

NCT until august 2017

Y2Q2MWFkYjA4YmY3MjgxMWY5NTYxNWEwMjM1M2NjMWIIeW_uGgeVai2_GiH0xcVmaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NjA4OTg3Mnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Clean looking car. Probably the time of year doesn't help. Convertibles seem to sell faster from Easter onward, and for more. I suppose more people fancy them in the hope of getting a summer. I had a MK1 Golf GTI convertible years ago and it was a really fun car to drive, great fun on summers evenings driving down country lanes to the pub for a pint. Not as noisy as you would think with the roof up either.

• Advertisement

Not quite a classic, but just 2 years away. I think this is great value

That is a nice find, wonder why it is so cheap, maybe he has been dropping the price? Not 2 years away from classic, more like nearly 4 years (car first registered Aug '90?)

Only a 1.8 so not the end of the world to tax it normally for a few more years before it hits classic tax though...

Not 2 years away from classic, more like nearly 4 years

D'oh! Of course. :) I've just written "2018" in a document about 10 times so I think I lost a year there...

Still, I'd only have it on the road 6 months of the year anyway so I wouldn't begrudge it the 1.8 tax.

As an entry level classic I reckon its a cracker. Reliable VW engineering ( when that meant something), comfortable enough for everyday use and parts are still pretty easy to come by.

You really need to have a garage for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

^ are the autoboxes good on this era VW?
    Would they be 4 speed?

I had a couple of Mk2's in the early/mid 90s but they were all manuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

They are 3 speed automatics. Not the nicest to drive...

Mod: There is a dedicated thread for posting your own ads.

This one?

Linky

Looks nice but it's a ridiculous asking price for the car with no NCT imho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭TigerTim

That is a nice find, wonder why it is so cheap, maybe he has been dropping the price? Not 2 years away from classic, more like nearly 4 years (car first registered Aug '90?)

Only a 1.8 so not the end of the world to tax it normally for a few more years before it hits classic tax though...

Strange it hasn't sold. Ad has 2,364 views. Surely someone must have gone & seen the car at this stage.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

No, it is based on a terribly modified Porsche.

• Advertisement

DakarVert wrote: »

Looking at the engine in the boot it must be.
    In any case, with a 12K asking price the owner still thinks we are in the Celtic Tiger boom.
    For 12K I would be looking for a real 911, not a kit car.
    Mind you I have seen worse on Donedeal at the moment, the yellow Ferrari 355/MR2 wins that. Even the 9 digit reg is abhorrent, never mind the joke asking price.
    Some sellers are really deluded. They think bonding a load of fibre glass on a crap car suddenly makes it desirable and worth +10K. Yeah OK lads, you know best. Keep chasing those dreams..

Seweryn wrote: »

I wonder if he is mates with the yellow Ferrari 355/MR2 seller on Donedeal.
    Kindred spirits.
    The thing is, 12K would buy one a real 911; so why would anyone want a fake?
    It just screams, I am a dick. Yes, I spent 12K on this crap car.
    But its true what they say; a fool and his money are easily parted.

Seweryn wrote: »

So its a beetle then... :)

TigerTim wrote: »
    Strange it hasn't sold. Ad has 2,364 views. Surely someone must have gone & seen the car at this stage.

T.

I think there are two main negative factors here; the fact its post '87 so full fast tax at 636 Euro per year. And its not a GTI. For even money one could buy a MK1 convertible, even on an '87 plate. So its more bang for buck really.
    The funny thing is, MK1's are very desirable, but the convertible always less so.
    I suppose the Irish weather is another thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

You won't get much of a 911 for 12 grand today, 7/8 years ago maybe but not today.

The one above is a 1973 Beetle

MrRolex wrote: »
    I wonder if he is mates with the yellow Ferrari 355/MR2 seller on Donedeal.
    Kindred spirits.
    The thing is, 12K would buy one a real 911; so why would anyone want a fake?
    It just screams, I am a dick. Yes, I spent 12K on this crap car.
    But its true what they say; a fool and his money are easily parted.

Its the fake car paradox.

Anyone who might care, knows its a fake. Those who don't, don't care.

hi5 wrote: »
    You won't get much of a 911 for 12 grand today, 7/8 years ago maybe but not today.

996's regularly come up on Ebay for under 12K. Carrera's from the late '70's to early '80's can be bought from 10K. Granted there aren't so many as 996's but they are available under 12K. Agree Porsche's went through a Celtic Tiger bubble, but that has now peaked. These days its W124 Mercedes, E30 BMW, and MK2 Golf's, that are peaking. '87 means many of those cars are now coming into vintage tax and VRT; and that means the market is hungry for them.

Its the fake car paradox.

Anyone who might care, knows its a fake. Those who don't, don't care.

You speak the truth here. Personally I would be ashamed to be seen or own a fake car/replica. Its like owning a Golf CL and sticking a GTI badge on it etc.
    Mind you, men are creatures of habit; and I have seen loads of M-badged BMW's and AMG badged Mercedes over the years.
    In Germany they tend to go the other way, with most AMG owners ordering the cars with no boot badges. No need to advertise one has an E55 etc, as its obvious its not an E200 etc.
    The other problem is this. When I owned a Sierra RS Cosworth I had every boyracer up my arse wanting to race me every single day. They saw the Cosworth badge and got a hard on, and wanted to overtake it at all costs to be able to tell all their mates down the pub they nailed a Cossie in their Clio etc.
    Young men, full balls that need emptying, and modified/fake cars.
    The funny thing is, the cycle repeats ad infinitum.

I like the look of this one. August '86 so vintage tax and VRT.
    I had an '88 500SEL years ago and they are a lovely smooth car to drive.
    Price seems reasonable enough for the mileage.
    Any thoughts?
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/500-sel/14004393

• Advertisement

So its a beetle then... :)

I am quite sure it is not based on a Beetle. But there are not enough details there to tell me for sure...

Advertisement