Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Actual bargains in this thread are rare... great to see the suggestions though...

Happy New Year folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭bigroad

Who the hell ordered a Pug 205 gti with an auto box. And a 1.9 an all.

A one legged boy racer.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

bigroad wrote: »
    A one legged boy racer.

That you, Dell Boy? :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭bigroad

sligojoek wrote: »
    That you, Dell Boy? :D:D:D:D
    Yes Rodders.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

RobAMerc wrote: »
    i suspect thats a typo or mistake of some sort (Auto)

the back end is also way too high - wrong springs or something put into it.

There are a number of jap import GTI/CTI 205s in the country with automatic gearboxes, could be one of those

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/rover-p6-ser-1/26870026

N2M3YTRkN2NlNmM3MWZkNDA3MzAxYzYxZWY4N2JmYmSppVPhEHOX6wuCloZJAUbMaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjY0NjkyNDd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Y2QyOTcyOTUzMDZiZWJlZTUxMWRiNGNmNjk5NjliMTe6VZNcCVIZKVYZVAxXeDLvaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjY0NjkyNTF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This seems like a great price for an early P6, €3500

2.0 manual not the greatest configuration, but not hard to overlook that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭CoBo55

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/rover-p6-ser-1/26870026

N2M3YTRkN2NlNmM3MWZkNDA3MzAxYzYxZWY4N2JmYmSppVPhEHOX6wuCloZJAUbMaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjY0NjkyNDd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Y2QyOTcyOTUzMDZiZWJlZTUxMWRiNGNmNjk5NjliMTe6VZNcCVIZKVYZVAxXeDLvaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjY0NjkyNTF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This seems like a great price for an early P6, €3500

2.0 manual not the greatest configuration, but not hard to overlook that

That looks nice a bit more affordable to run than the 3500.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

If you could get that GTI with a few grand off and did a manual conversion you would be quids in.

They are starting to command big money, even with high mileage.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/vw-golf-mk1-gl-1-5l/26873603

ZjM0N2QyMGMwZmE1YWZjZDA5ZjVkZDVkNjRhZjUxYjHfTKJtpBK-jQVCE5BXMLLwaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjY1MjA3MzZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This looks absolutely lovely

1.5 GL Mk1 Golf. NCT all the way to 2022. Is it worth €5500?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/vw-golf-mk1-gl-1-5l/26873603

This looks absolutely lovely

1.5 GL Mk1 Golf. NCT all the way to 2022. Is it worth €5500?

For me it would look better on steelies and without the GTI-arches.

Also fitted with Qingdao Fullrun Tyre Corp Ltd rubber so it's a no from me.

• Advertisement

macplaxton wrote: »
    For me it would look better on steelies and without the GTI-arches.

Also fitted with Qingdao Fullrun Tyre Corp Ltd rubber so it's a no from me.

Dem are a grand tyre all de taxi men have dem:D:D
    She's looking very high in the front...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,393 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

CoBo55 wrote: »
    That looks nice a bit more affordable to run than the 3500.

I never get that argument. Most owners would do no more than say 3k km in their classic car. So if it does 20 or 30MPG will cost a difference of just €150 for the year. Pretty much immaterial in the total cost of owning a classic car.

unkel wrote: »
    I never get that argument. Most owners would do no more than say 3k km in their classic car. So if it does 20 or 30MPG will cost a difference of just €150 for the year. Pretty much immaterial in the total cost of owning a classic car.

I said a bit, I meant overall the 2000 is an easier car to look after than the 3.5, there isn't a huge difference in power either. For many buyers the 2000 would be more appealing, in saying that I think you know what I meant. Also that mere €150 you're so quick to dismiss is important to some people, could be the difference to going to another vintage show for a day out with the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

oceanman wrote: »

The ad is at least very honest. If the front wheel and electrics were fixed up then the seller isn't that far off the mark, maybe a grand or so, providing it all checks out. He could be going in deliberately high to give room for a big discount. Makes you feel better and more inclined to buy it.

If I was looking for something like a W124 I'd probably give him a ring and might mosey down to Arklow. Photos are dire and he really should repair it, but apart from that it has a few things going for it like the tax rate, long NCT and engine/gearbox combo.

Fix it up, and sell it for a grand less and it's not too bad.

Ok, so bear with me.

I know its not technically a classic, but it can be insured as one, and they are already becoming somewhat collectable.

If this was not in bloody Mayo I would snap it up in a heartbeat. Advertised at just 1500, and I would say there is some money off to be had.

Low miles and a 13 month NCT.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/fiat-cinquecento/26876418

OWUwNDY2MTdkNmRhZDAwZDIxZDQ0OWQ4ZjI0ZDRlM2FDcDMB-wl12-hMiDCKy-YnaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjY1NTI2ODd8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Edit - Its actually in Longford - Still too far.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1988-mercedes-benz-w124-e200/26891757

YTY5M2ZkYTU4MWQyZDljNjI3MDVlOGM2MjFkNjFlY2O8RAr2wqT_-ZCjXj6bi8emaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjY3MDgyNTR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This has been advertised a couple of times over the last few months in various parts of the country

Seems a nice looking car, low miles, original Irish and AFAIK it's 1 previous owner was an embassy. €3k perhaps a bit pricey for a 200 manual with no NCT and chrome arches though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

Thats a great find. Would make a nice project car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭w124man

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1988-mercedes-benz-w124-e200/26891757

This has been advertised a couple of times over the last few months in various parts of the country

Seems a nice looking car, low miles, original Irish and AFAIK it's 1 previous owner was an embassy. €3k perhaps a bit pricey for a 200 manual with no NCT and chrome arches though

Lovely blister on the n/s front wing. Early carb engine and as basic as they come. Looks damp inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I really do want an old auto merc at some stage but Donedeal is full of either

a) buckets of rust
    b) dreamers
    c) well known dealer who's cars are very expensive

You can say that about the vast majority of classic cars on DoneDeal unfortunately. Not just Mercs :(
    w124man wrote: »
    Lovely blister on the n/s front wing. Early carb engine and as basic as they come. Looks damp inside.

And out of NCT by about 20 years. Hilarious asking price.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

a) buckets of rust
    b) dreamers

You get what you pay for! Most of the old Mercs for sale on DD are sheds. In fact most of the cars on DD are sheds full stop. 50% of the people selling can't be bothered putting in the mileage, the NCT status, decent photos or even giving the car a proper wash/vac.

a) buckets of rust
    b) dreamers

Tell us something we don't know... Joining an owners club is the best way to get something decent. There's a guy in Castlecomer does a lot of top class work on mercs, he sells a few too but no ****e. Some of the posters here might have more helpful info.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

con747 wrote: »

a cracking car the 200 Avant - dunno if this one is any good, but the photos and the black wheels make me less likely to think its worth the asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

RobAMerc wrote: »
    a cracking car the 200 Avant - dunno if this one is any good, but the photos and the black wheels make me less likely to think its worth the asking.

Can't see a mileage

They needed a head rebuild after 75k and a full rebuild by 125-150k. Body is probably ok, engine is probably run out

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭eddieham

CoBo55 wrote: »
    There's a guy in Castlecomer does a lot of top class work on mercs, he sells a few too but no ****e. Some of the posters here might have more helpful info.

Think you may be referring to Ned Kelly, a gent who is always happy to help a Merc enthusiast,
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/NjK312y6FjnBEe3k9
    If not Ned, you may mean Billy Coogan in Castlecomer ( served his time with Ned) knows his stuff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Premierpride

Hi lads
    Probably the wrong group for this but not having much joy searching forums for (Wedding cars, classic car rentals content, West of Ireland car rentals)
    getting Married next year in sligo and wondering does anyone have a contact who would have a classic in the area to rent/chauffeur for the day?
    I'm looking less along the Morgan style and more along the Merc, Porsche, Mustang, MG styles.

any help welcome, If there is a more appropriate thread with up to date posts fell free to suggest also.

It's been asked many times on this forum. I'll give you a summary: private owners of classic cars are forbidden by their insurers to rent their cars out for hire or reward. That's the end of that. You can rent (chauffeur driven or self driven) classic cars alright, but you will pay commercial prices (read: this will cost ya)

• Advertisement

Hi lads
    Probably the wrong group for this but not having much joy searching forums for (Wedding cars, classic car rentals content, West of Ireland car rentals)
    getting Married next year in sligo and wondering does anyone have a contact who would have a classic in the area to rent/chauffeur for the day?
    I'm looking less along the Morgan style and more along the Merc, Porsche, Mustang, MG styles.

any help welcome, If there is a more appropriate thread with up to date posts fell free to suggest also.

These are the only guys that spring to mind. I have not used them so can not comment on how they are.

https://courtyardclassiccars.com/

Advertisement