Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

Seweryn wrote: »
    I am quite sure it is not based on a Beetle. But there are not enough details there to tell me for sure...

Well the plates are off a 1967 Beetle..... That's why I asked. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭MrRolex

I am quite sure it is not based on a Beetle. But there are not enough details there to tell me for sure...

Well the owner is quite sure it is.
    That is good enough for me.
    The engine in the boot makes it obvious anyway. Nothing unusual to see a Golf or Porsche engine in a Beetle really, its been done many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

DakarVert wrote: »
    Well the plates are off a 1967 Beetle..... That's why I asked. :)
    Oh,... right. I did not go that route to check it. Interesting :).

The Beetle to 911 replicas are as common as MR2 to Ferrari 355 ones.
    They never look right. Bonding fibre glass to a crap car never does.
    I suppose these lads got their inspiration sticking the pages together of Max Power magazines project cars.
    http://www.carscoops.com/2007/08/porsche-911-replica-based-on-vw-beetle.html

On the subject of classics ruined by fibreglass bodykits, here is another one.
    I honestly think people that do this to a vintage E30 should be sterilised so they cannot breed.
    Had he kept it an original '87 325i convertible it would be worth more.
    Ironically he has now made it unsellable and cost himself thousands in the process.
    E30 M3's were left hand drive for starters. Who wants a 325i made into an M3 replica anyway?
    4805 views in 51 days and its still for sale. Wonder if the penny has dropped with him yet?
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-325-e30-manual-convertible-m3-body-1987/13507699

• Advertisement

MrRolex wrote: »
    The Beetle to 911 replicas are as common as MR2 to Ferrari 355 ones.
    They never look right. Bonding fibre glass to a crap car never does.

A Fake car is ****e for sure, but just to make things clear - Beetle is not a crap car. Unless you mean something else, you have a chance to clarify ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I like the look of this one. August '86 so vintage tax and VRT.
    I had an '88 500SEL years ago and they are a lovely smooth car to drive.
    Price seems reasonable enough for the mileage.
    Any thoughts?
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/500-sel/14004393

Cannot understand why people selling cars like that (eligible for classic VRT) don't just go and do it.

Cannot understand why people selling cars like that (eligible for classic VRT) don't just go and do it.

Agreed. 200 Euro VRT and 56 Euro tax. So for a total of 256 Euro one now has a more desirable car. Buyers like to see that taken care of by the owner, and will pay more for it. I mean say he had done this, he could be asking say 4500-5000 Euro for the same car. Its just laziness on the sellers part. Or of course the other reason is, he has been a naughty boy and imported the car before it turned 30 in August '86; and therefore trying to avoid the 720 Euro VRT he owes.

A Fake car is ****e for sure, but just to make things clear - Beetle is not a crap car. Unless you mean something else, you have a chance to clarify ;).

I will take you up on your generous offer of a chance for me to clarify.
    My point is probably obvious to most, but I will break it down to a level you might be able to understand.
    People that create replica cars don't start off with a decent example of the original. They always start off with a crap car. Something rotten, rusty, crashed, needing bodywork, etc. Reason being, no one is going to buy that classic in its current state of donor car or breaker. So they think, I will bond a fibreglass bodykit and no one will ever know how crap the car looked.
    We all know Beetles are a good classic. Its a mute point. But no one would ever convert a good one into a Porsche replica. But a crap one, yes they would.
    Hence me saying; bonding fibre glass to a crap car..
    Now do you get it crystal clear?
    Mind you, you were quite sure it wasn't based on a Beetle though weren't you..
    So now you stand corrected on 2 out of 2 points.
    Maybe 3 points and we will give you a prize eh?

Here is another 12K Celtic Tiger dreamer.
    In fairness to him, the car is one of the better MR2-355 replicas I have seen.
    The 9 digit reg doesn't do it any favours though.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/ferrari-f355-berlinetta-replica/13695565

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

996's regularly come up on Ebay for under 12K. Carrera's from the late '70's to early '80's can be bought from 10K. Granted there aren't so many as 996's but they are available under 12K. Agree Porsche's went through a Celtic Tiger bubble, but that has now peaked. These days its W124 Mercedes, E30 BMW, and MK2 Golf's, that are peaking. '87 means many of those cars are now coming into vintage tax and VRT; and that means the market is hungry for them.
    Where can you get an Irish 996 for €12k?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

So its a beetle then....:-)

Please tell me that you really got that joke and you are just being 'ironic' :pac:

millington wrote: »
    Where can you get an Irish 996 for €12k?

Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

Ireland.

Useful insight

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Bus Boy

Yep, you can still get a tatty 996 for 12k. Theres a lovely one for sale at the moment for 15k with full service history and preventative maintenance done. the only thing it doesn't have is a Sports Exhaust, which IMO needs one as I used to have one. They're a fantastic car too. That 'Covin' type Beetle based 911 is 10k over priced.

Bus Boy wrote: »
    Yep, you can still get a tatty 996 for 12k. Theres a lovely one for sale at the moment for 15k with full service history and preventative maintenance done. the only thing it doesn't have is a Sports Exhaust, which IMO needs one as I used to have one. They're a fantastic car too. That 'Covin' type Beetle based 911 is 10k over priced.

Agreed on all accounts.
    Its a given that 12K wont buy one the best 996 in Ireland, but I have seen them from 8K upwards needing work. Leaking headgaskets, needing clutches, whining gearboxes etc. From 10K up one sees clean ones with above average miles, or Cat C or Cat D insurance write offs in the UK that are on the HPI register and have been put back on the road etc. 12K up sees straight 996's in Ireland, tax and NCT but maybe with high miles or patchy service history, or needing some work (bodywork or mechanical).
    Granted there isn't the same selection of 996's in Ireland as in the UK, but that is Donedeal v Ebay all over really.
    But 12K certainly buys an Irish 996, sure as night follows day. They peaked during the Celtic Tiger, but now the prices have settled after peaking.
    With a 996 one must remember the asking price bears no relation to the selling price. That 15K car sells for 12K etc.
    On Ebay I have seen clean ones needing nothing sell in the UK for 8-10K sterling.
    This one is a typical example, high miles but service history. 10,600 Euro. Of course one has to add another 2-3K VRT on it landed.
    But similar cars here are only making 12K these days.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1998-Porsche-911-3-4-996-Carrera-2-Coupe-2dr-Petrol-Manual-285-g-km-300-/322360385295?hash=item4b0e2d1f0f:g:KLYAAOSw6DtYVnyE

millington wrote: »
    Useful insight

Apologies, I don't do insight.
    I leave that to the priests.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    OK enough with your snarky comments and posts please. Keep it construtive.

So its OK for a lad to troll my straight answer to his straight question with sarcasm?
    And they say don't give it out if you can't take it..
    So I let the lad have some back, and I am the one getting pulled up for snarky comments?
    Some people say Boards.ie is over-moderated, and that is one of the key reasons why it is in decline. Others say its due to the increase in popularity of social media over fora.
    Personally I think my comments are within the charter, maybe with some banter or sarcasm at times; but if someone trolls me or takes the piss then I will stand my ground and defend myself. Fairs fair lad.
    I think you called this one wrong here.
    Have a read through my previous comments, any man can see they are constructive not snarky on the whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,376 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

This one is a typical example, high miles but service history. 10,600 Euro. Of course one has to add another 2-3K VRT on it landed.

Good luck with that. There are no Porsches on the VRT calculator, the crowd don't entertain email queries before you buy and bringing a cheap one in could attract a VRT bill several times that. Big risk.

And then you need to get it NCTd. Another substantial risk.

unkel wrote: »
    Good luck with that. There are no Porsches on the VRT calculator, the crowd don't entertain email queries before you buy and bringing a cheap one in could attract a VRT bill several times that. Big risk.

It should have the same OMSP and CO2 band as something like an SL450/500 from around the same era. VRT on that would be around the 3 grand mark so that is a reasonable benchmark. But like you say, it could go either way, but a factor of 'several times' is not going to happen.

As for the NCT risk, if you are not prepared for that, then you really should not be entertaining 996's or any Porsche for that matter. Obviously it helps if what you buy has a bit of MOT left in it.

• Advertisement

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Well judging by the number of your posts that have been reported I disagree. If you don't like it here you are free not to post. Consider the above a warning.

Is this how you go about welcoming new members? Bullying them? Or is it just your style of (over) moderation?
    So basically my opinion doesn't fit the square peg square hole Boards.ie general consensus; and therefore I have the option of becoming yes man or thanks whore; or I get warned.
    Its a given I like it here, and post. I am free do do so, and free to not post; as you say. But you need to look at both sides fairly before coming down hard on one.
    Someone asks me a straight question, and I give a straight answer. Then they get smart. So I stand up to it.
    You would like me to report them like the other sheep, but I prefer to take control of the situation and nip it in the bud personally.
    You see in life, that is my way. I don't need to get someone else to do my dirty work, I take ownership of a problem and execute it myself.
    You do realise the only person you are showing up here is yourself, for poor moderation?
    Why don't you just deal with it the right and proper way and snip or delete any offensive posts? Or maybe there aren't any to snip, as they all fall within the remit of the charter.
    Going on a power trip and over-moderating poorly isn't the way to do things.
    I say that coming from the perspective of being an admin on a car forum myself, so I know the drill lad.

unkel wrote: »

I would agree buying a 996 is a risk. But 3K is the typical VRT on a 996 worth 10K sterling. The same car here is 12-15K Euro.
    Full service history and MOT when one buys limits the risk of passing an NCT etc. Realistically one can expect a high miler with patchy service history in this price band, so one needs to budget for repairs.
    But saying that, anyone with 12K to buy one, really should have 2-3K ready to give it a full service or cover repairs. I have never seen a 996 up for sale that didn't need some work. Generally people sell them when they know they are due for something major. Being patient is the key though, as sometimes genuine ones come up where its just a case of an affluent owner updating to a newer model of 911.
    I have to admit I have never owned one, but have driven a 3.6 Carrera Turbo, and was disappointed with it to be honest. The tiptronic gearbox wasn't as good as one would expect for example. For 12K an E46 M3 coupe is actually a better car all round.
    For even money, Mercedes, Audi, BMW; all offer more bang for buck really.

Please tell me that you really got that joke and you are just being 'ironic' :pac:
    I honestly looked at the photos again and can't say for sure what it is (not taking into account the mentioned Beetle number plates) :).

Which detail of the car would you say indicate that the thing is based on a Bug?

You have to be on a wind up playing dumb here? Seriously.
    Well how about the engine in the boot?
    You know, usually they are under the bonnet.
    The bonnet is at the front of a car by the way, boot at the rear.
    I will give you another clue, Beetles have their engine in the boot (not under the bonnet at the front).
    Here is another clue, look at the shape of a Beetle, and the shape of a 911.
    Now can you see any similarities?
    Or maybe have a look at an MR2 and a Ferrari 355.
    Any idea why someone might base a replica of the latter on the former?
    Take your time..

I honestly looked at the photos again and can't say for sure what it is (not taking into account the mentioned Beetle number plates) :).

Which detail of the car would you say indicate that the thing is based on a Bug?

I didnt mean that, I meant your line about it being a "terribly modified Porsche" and me saying thats basically what a beetle is... :cool:

I suspect this would be more fun over a few pints...

I didnt mean that, I meant your line about it being a "terribly modified Porsche" and me saying thats basically what a beetle is... :cool:

I suspect this would be more fun over a few pints...
    Oh, there would be some fun looking at these after a few pints :). One thing I don't get is fake replicas and (bad) modifications. An inline engine behind the rear axle? It just doesn't sound good no matter what it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,376 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

3K is the typical VRT on a 996 worth 10K sterling. The same car here is 12-15K Euro.

You are contradicting yourself within that sentence alone. Even if the NCTS would reckon the OMSP of that 996 is only €15k, then VRT (36%) would be €5,400

(and €4,300 at a very unlikely assessment of the OMSP as €12k)

Cheapest 996 on Irish plates on donedeal is €17k at the mo...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Good value for €7. I might ring and offer a tenner even!

https://www.donedeal.ie/commercials-for-sale/1986-citroen-cx-22trs/14519602

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

He seems to be confused about his mileage two ads with totally different miles:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I've seen that CX in person. My photos (and indeed the seller's ad!) do it no justice though; it was really lovely

IMG_20160806_114954_zpsnxhxkk4s.jpg

Advertisement