Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,862 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

CoBo55 wrote: »
    A Starlet never was and never will be A Classic. I never said I found it hard to work on, what I said was is that there's this misconception that an aul starlet can be kept on the road for feck all and you'd have the clutch changed before your breakfast, no you won't. Yes they'll drone on forever but when something goes wrong they aren't as easy to work on as you'd think. Compared to a Fiesta, Punto and even the dreaded Micra, parts are more expensive and dealer specific. The 94 xli I was looking after was dealer only for the fanbelt, the auto factors had two types listed neither of which fitted, I had to give Boggans 3 times the price of auto factors belt, and wait over a week to get it. Auto factor drive was wrong, blue print one was wrong, Boggans again...

Starlets are absolutely p!ss easy to work on especially if it has the little 12v engine. Parts are cheap and from 85-99 parts are very interchangeable. Aftermarket parts is where it gets expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

con747 wrote: »
    1985 Flat Front Saab 900 €2300 https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/all-original-1985-flat-front-saab-900/26455511
    Looks good value if it checks out.

A nice looking car that one.
    Is that the same chap who had 2 for sale last year ? Maybe this is still one as he had a flat front auto then too. Also had a nice looking special edition with black leather.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1988-audi-100-avant-c3-automatic-2-0-tax-nct/27023064

ZDY4YWI5MmYyMzgxYTBkNzc1NjYwNTIzN2VkOGIzNjcErTjCKVZBFX7Rt6nuhAs-aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjg0NTE5MTV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This seems like a reasonable enough price for what it is

5 cyl Audi 100 estate, NCT and tax til September, €3850. It perhaps needs to be a bit closer to €3k but the seller might be open to a decent offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,395 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Nice find. Pity about the high mileage and the poor state of the drivers seat, but I guess at this sort of money that would be par for the course. Agreed that at €3k it would be good value for money. Nice practical classic car. Ticks all the boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

The mileage isn't high at all. What do you expect from a 30+ year old car?

The biggest problem for me would be that horrible transmission.

• Advertisement

Seweryn wrote: »
    The mileage isn't high at all. What do you expect from a 30+ year old car?

Well I guess it depends on where you are coming from!

As an example I had two 80s Baby Mercs in the last few years, one with 170k miles and one with 90k miles and while the Mercedes of that era are superbly made and can stand wear and tear far better than Audi, the higher mileage car felt a bit tired but the 90k car felt so fresh like it was just a few years old. Some of that has to do with how well a car has been maintained, but a lot is just wear and tear. I bet the drivers seat in that Audi isn't the only thing that is well past its best...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

unkel wrote: »
    ba_barabus had one (not a GTi) and seems to know these cars well, hopefully he'll come on here to comment.

Sorry!

I've been slow. Yes it was for sale around 2013, I too was interested but hadn't a bean at the time. It was pink with a range of mismatch paint on the panels. Not bad but as someone said it took about 12 months to sell.

The current seller has definitely owned it for a number of years.

Duke is bang on the money too, I sold him my BX and he seemed to be very familiar with them. No problems with him as he buyer, he came when he said he would, brought cash and I gave him a bargain.

I haven't seem that car personally, I'd check paint, for rust and suspension pipes into the bulkhead/ chassis rails

Everything else is simple and straightforward. As regards price, I don't think its expensive. Values are going up quickly and with brexit I doubt you'd import a wrecked GTI for much less.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Seweryn wrote: »
    The biggest problem for me would be that horrible transmission.

Surely thats pre CVT no ?
    Is the normal auto box rubbish too ?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-190/27024134

ZDA4YjhlYzFlY2I4ZDU5NGRhODIyOGQ1MzU3YzI0ZTJz-X5XlZVVijVoRVTZFP4HaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjg0NjA2NDd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

A Merc 190 owned by none other than:
    aoman de vel ara

In all seriousness though, this looks like the base for a pretty decent project. Original Irish reg, old logbook and MB Tex interior (I think).

I'm guessing Eamon De Valera junior is probably the name on the logbook

• Registered Users Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭CoBo55

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-190/27024134

ZDA4YjhlYzFlY2I4ZDU5NGRhODIyOGQ1MzU3YzI0ZTJz-X5XlZVVijVoRVTZFP4HaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjg0NjA2NDd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

A Merc 190 owned by none other than:

In all seriousness though, this looks like the base for a pretty decent project. Original Irish reg, old logbook and MB Tex interior (I think).

I'm guessing Eamon De Valera junior is probably the name on the logbook
    Must be his Iranian cousin..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Strained my neck looking at the upside down photos

• Registered Users Posts: 14,972 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Definitely not the long fellow he passed away in 1975.

Dev junior was MD of The Irish Press.

Nice bit of history to go with the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

BMW E31 840i. Almost £15k . Assuming on UK plates

YzFlNjA3MWIyYWY2MmEwZTYyZDY3ZjAwMmE4ZDZlOGPBGc3iYUUUye-y3CemrNXdaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDYzOTY4NTh8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/bmw-840i-v8-sports-coupe-fsh-px-car-or-bike/24754080

Not the seller, but for anyone who hasn't seen this, this lad has a great channel on the tube where he restores a few class BMW's. He's very good, and a great watch. He's just after getting one of these 850i's in exactly the same colour, but it's going to take a bit of work before it's up to scratch. He already has one done already, so should be pretty sweet when he's finished.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdsT6DqR9i4&feature=youtu.be

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Nice car, but with VRT and VAT etc. etc., you might need the best part of €25,000 to have that registered here.

If the car was in the North before the start of this year, you won't have VAT to pay. VRT would be a lottery though, it's not on the calculator and they won't give you a quote before you actually bring the car in.

So that's a no from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

Not the seller, but for anyone who hasn't seen this, this lad has a great channel on the tube where he restores a few class BMW's. He's very good, and a great watch. He's just after getting one of these 850i's in exactly the same colour, but it's going to take a bit of work before it's up to scratch. He already has one done already, so should be pretty sweet when he's finished.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdsT6DqR9i4&feature=youtu.be

Hes got a great channel! Loved his restoration of the e38 750iL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

That's lovely, and looks to be a decent price.

One careful elderly lady owner, who also owns a Corvette by the looks of it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Thats a great find. Very rare car these days, and it looks in great shape.

Decent money too.

There's only 2 cars that I hate. The Renault 12 and the mini metro :D

(and that piece of sh1t from Japan that is a Micra trying to look like a classic Jaguar - this vehicle shall not be named)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

And me....

Gone already. What kind of money was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

kaizersoze wrote: »
    And me....

Gone already. What kind of money was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

unkel wrote: »
    There's only 2 cars that I hate. The Renault 12 and the mini metro :D

(and that piece of sh1t from Japan that is a Micra trying to look like a classic Jaguar - this vehicle shall not be named)

What's your beef with the R12?

I dunno really, always hated the looks of it. And I like pretty much all other Renaults of the 60s / 70s / 80s. It's irrational :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Original Louth reg and a fairly base model that Metro with the inset headlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,862 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

For 2 grand I would have nearly bought it just for the sake of having it

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/volvo-740/27038131

NzQ2ZDEyNjg0Yjc3MDlkNDkzYzIxOWIzOGQ3NTM1ZGVJRWdNsA5OrxQy1ZPXXtGmaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjg2NDE0MjF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Nice looking 740 auto with a years tax and NCT all the way til 2023, €3000

Claims of a recent service and new tyres. A reasonable price for something like this if it checks out okay I think

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

PsychoPete wrote: »
    For 2 grand I would have nearly bought it just for the sake of having it

That'll be gone across the water in no time, they're asking strong money for clean metros these days

• Registered Users Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭CoBo55

alias no.9 wrote: »
    That'll be gone across the water in no time, they're asking strong money for clean metros these days

Fcukin eejits more money than sense...

• Advertisement

LOL gotta agree there CoBo55 :D

Saw a documentary once about how the car came to be and it's not a pretty story. Basically developed from old parts very quickly very cheaply in a desperate last ditch attempt to save the company (I can't remember exactly which flavour of British Leyland we are talking here). It actually did make them money. Lord only knows why people bought it.

Advertisement