Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Want.

Away with ya so!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,514 ✭✭✭jmreire

Want.

They were great yokes in their day, always had long waiting lists of people trying to get one ( especially since there was not too much else around in the communist times) and of course they broke down , but everyone knew how to fix them......they had to!! They were a kinda lifelong investment for a buyer, something to hand down the line , and you would be the envy of your neighbour.:)

jmreire wrote: »
    They were great yokes in their day, always had long waiting lists of people trying to get one ( especially since there was not too much else around in the communist times) and of course they broke down , but everyone knew how to fix them......they had to!! They were a kinda lifelong investment for a buyer, something to hand down the line , and you would be the envy of your neighbour.:)

Rose rose rose tinted glasses....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

• Registered Users Posts: 8,514 ✭✭✭jmreire

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Rose rose rose tinted glasses....

Nope. definitely not rose tinted glasses, I lived in that part of the world for a nr of years.In the communist times, if you wanted one of those, you took your place in the queue, and waited. and waited. and waited,,,in some case years, unless you had the political connections, and or cash ( US dollars preferred ) then you could jump the queue. Then when at long last you finally got your car, you brought it home and with your local friendly mechanic, you went through every nut and bolt checked and tightened them. And thereafter, as little problems arose, you fixed them. So the car was getting better and more valuable all the time. It was all perfectly normal. The fact is that there were very few choices for anything, especially US/ European manufacture. Walk into any bar wearing a pair of levi's, and you would be offered twice or more what you paid for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

dball wrote: »

Its gorgeous but I'd rather have a TR6 or an Opel GT

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

jmreire wrote: »
    Nope. definitely not rose tinted glasses, I lived in that part of the world for a nr of years.In the communist times, if you wanted one of those, you took your place in the queue, and waited. and waited. and waited,,,in some case years, unless you had the political connections, and or cash ( US dollars preferred ) then you could jump the queue. Then when at long last you finally got your car, you brought it home and with your local friendly mechanic, you went through every nut and bolt checked and tightened them. And thereafter, as little problems arose, you fixed them. So the car was getting better and more valuable all the time. It was all perfectly normal. The fact is that there were very few choices for anything, especially US/ European manufacture. Walk into any bar wearing a pair of levi's, and you would be offered twice or more what you paid for them.

That reminds me of this joke....

In Soviet Russia a Man Goes to Buy a Car...

He goes up to the dealer and asks for a car, to which the dealer responds:

'You know there is a 10 year waiting list?'

The man then answers, 'OK,' and after some time he then agreed to buy a car.

So he pays for the car in advance, and just before he leaves he asks the dealer,

'Can I pick the car up in the morning or afternoon?'

'It's 10 years away, what does it matter?'

'The plumber is coming in the morning!'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Its gorgeous but I'd rather have a TR6 or an Opel GT

Have you ever got a spin out of a gt6?
    I don't say that to sound condescending but because I never really liked the idea of a gt6 until I got a spin out of one and fell completely in love with the view out over the bonnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

hi5 wrote: »
    That reminds me of this joke....

In Soviet Russia a Man Goes to Buy a Car...

He goes up to the dealer and asks for a car, to which the dealer responds:

'You know there is a 10 year waiting list?'

The man then answers, 'OK,' and after some time he then agreed to buy a car.

So he pays for the car in advance, and just before he leaves he asks the dealer,

'Can I pick the car up in the morning or afternoon?'

'It's 10 years away, what does it matter?'

'The plumber is coming in the morning!'

One of Ronald Regans favoutites.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

kev1.3s wrote: »
    I don't say that to sound condescending but because I never really liked the idea of a gt6 until I got a spin out of one and fell completely in love with the view out over the bonnet.

Never driven any of them kev, its just from a styling perspective. Does the GT6 give ya a kick in the small of the back when you put the foot down?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Beltby

kev1.3s wrote: »

I drove (and worked on) a minter back around 20 years ago. For a British car it wasn't bad at all. Great looking cars in the flesh. Nice to drive as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

Never driven any of them kev, its just from a styling perspective. Does the GT6 give ya a kick in the small of the back when you put the foot down?
    very much doubt it!...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/car/27080066

MDE3YTRjZjRjZmNiNzQxZTNhZjQ1NDA0ZjRjODQ4ODA0Zi0dH4BVYNouNlKuKUffaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjkxMjgyOTZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

1990 MR2 turbo with 50k miles, €6500

I think this could be worth an absolute fortune in the not too distant future

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

It will be gone by tomorrow, slight issue with the tax disc though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭w124man

Does the GT6 give ya a kick in the small of the back when you put the foot down?

Yes but its probably the diff coming through the floor when you dumped the clutch!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/car/27080066

MDE3YTRjZjRjZmNiNzQxZTNhZjQ1NDA0ZjRjODQ4ODA0Zi0dH4BVYNouNlKuKUffaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjkxMjgyOTZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

1990 MR2 turbo with 50k miles, €6500

I think this could be worth an absolute fortune in the not too distant future

Another good find Duke, I'd love that too, if its as good as it looks.

Redriddick wrote: »
    It will be gone by tomorrow, slight issue with the tax disc though

2006:pac::pac:
    Rotten as a pear underneath if it hasn't moved in 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Sold according to description...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,973 ✭✭✭✭elperello

In his other ad you can see a fine shed which might have saved her. EDIT must have it's sold.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/car/26036684

Nice looking A4 by the way.

elperello wrote: »
    In his other ad you can see a fine shed which might have saved her.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/car/26036684

Nice looking A4 by the way.

Hardly a good yardstick by which to judge, that A4 is practically saleproof, no test, 1.8 petrol slushbox... Maybe the other yoke was in the stable but I'd be bringing the ole magnet and hopefully wont get bad ache picking it up;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,973 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Hardly a good yardstick by which to judge, that A4 is practically saleproof, no test, 1.8 petrol slushbox... Maybe the other yoke was in the stable but I'd be bringing the ole magnet and hopefully wont get bad ache picking it up;)

You are right, you can't beat a good dose of caveat emptor.

I always like a good shed and a clean yard as a starting point but at the end of the day it's the car you are buying.

Anyway the MR2 found a new home and the Audi might be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,406 ✭✭✭con747

Nissan sunny 1989 €2350. More great pictures..... https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/nissan-sunny-1989/27076455
    Was this up? 1983 Mk1 Sierra Auto NCT 02/23 Tax 07/21 €5950 https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1983-mk1-sierra-auto-nct-02-23-tax-07-21/26993000?campaign=3 Looks very clean with low mileage.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Thats...not really how that works :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Just because it hasn't been taxed or nct doesn't mean it hasn't been moved. The only place for rust on them is the rear wheel arches and the sills both of which are fairly easy to fix if you have the know how.
    Anyway I knew it wouldnt last long and I would have bought it only for my 94 project one.

It was very obvious from the photos and the ad that the car wasn’t just dumped in a corner in a shed for 15 years and someone actually took good good care in preserving it

Thats...not really how that works :confused:

Yes it is, nothing kills a car more quickly than standing around especially for 15 years, still, your "confused" post got you one like.

It was very obvious from the photos and the ad that the car wasn’t just dumped in a corner in a shed for 15 years and someone actually took good good care in preserving it

Yea right...

con747 wrote: »
    Nissan sunny 1989 €2350. More great pictures..... https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/nissan-sunny-1989/27076455
    Was this up? 1983 Mk1 Sierra Auto NCT 02/23 Tax 07/21 €5950 https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1983-mk1-sierra-auto-nct-02-23-tax-07-21/26993000?campaign=3 Looks very clean with low mileage.

I saw that. That Sierra looks a solid looking car to be fair I'd like to get the UK reg and see how it went through the MOT's over the years, it's a fantastic service.

Yes it is, nothing kills a car more quickly than standing around especially for 15 years, still, your "confused" post got you one like.

Except for the fact that the rest of the car looked perfect, that makes perfect sense. A car doesn’t just magically rust “red rotten” underneath and underneath only when it sits around

• Advertisement

Except for the fact that the rest of the car looked perfect, that makes perfect sense. A car doesn’t just magically rust “red rotten” underneath and underneath only when it sits around

Yes they do and do it rapidly.
    Especially yokes of that era.

Advertisement