Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

unkel wrote: »
    I seem to remember the A2 was a commercial flop because the end price to the consumer was way too high. Small car, premium price.

IIRC it was originally a VW but when they worked out the sale price later in development they had to stick an Audi badge on to try justify it.

Great car however, ahead of its time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I seem to remember the A2 was a commercial flop because the end price to the consumer was way too high. Small car, premium price.

yes, that too. if it was priced correctly folks would have bought it, if was cheap they'd buy it despite the issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ba_barabus wrote: »
    IIRC it was originally a VW but when they worked out the sale price later in development they had to stick an Audi badge on to try justify it.

That doesn't make a lot of sense. The car was always going to be made from aluminium, which would make it expensive. The concept was designed under supervision of Peter Schreyer (who penned the TT a few years before), who designed exclusively for Audi

VW and Audi are the same company and all, but the A2 was in my view an engineering excercise to make a truly economical car (to run, not to buy). Audi would get these projects typically when groundbreaking stuff is involved. Think "Vorsprung durch Technik" :D I think the A2 was the first proper "dreilter" (using just 3l of fuel per 100km)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

That doesn't make a lot of sense. The car was always going to be made from aluminium, which would make it expensive. The concejpt was designed under supervision of Peter Schreyer (who penned the TT a few years before), who designed exclusively for Audi

VW and Audi are the same company and all, but the A2 was in my view an engineering excercise to make a truly economical car (to run, not to buy). Audi would get these projects typically when groundbreaking stuff is involved. Think "Vorsprung durch Technik" :D I think the A2 was the first proper "dreilter" (using just 3l of fuel per 100km)

Yes it was always an Audi and used to develop mass production of aluminum monocoques pre A8.

Only bad thing I ever read wrong about them in contemporary magazine roadtests was that they were wildly expensive .

I met a guy/journalist in Kirtistown racing circuit who had a new A2 on test and if I remember correctly he could have had a basic 325i BMW for the same price as an optioned A2 .

Bigus wrote: »
    Yes it was always an Audi and used to develop mass production of aluminum monocoques pre A8.

Wasn't the A8 aluminium from the start, which was in production a good few years before even the concept A2 was launched?

I also only remember it being expensive as the one bad thing of the A2 :D And yeah the A2 being well under 900kg is quite something for a car with the safety features of the 21st century. Would be an interesting project to convert to electric for use as a second family / classic car with just a small battery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Rather you than me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

if it was for free i wouldnt take it...

Amazingly it was tested up until (fairly) recently

Had my AMC shares not took an awful tumble last night I'd be all over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Had my AMC shares not took an awful tumble last night I'd be all over it!

1983 car imported here in late 1984 from the US. Unusual history alright. I like it, but it's too rusty for me.

You could get a 4x4 version of them in Switzerland, they were popular there. Supposed to be very good system in it as you didn't have to stop the car to switch it to 4WD. Cheaper to run and easier to drive on narrow roads and tracks than a Patrol or Landcruiser. I used to see a few of them around West Africa 20 years ago, they were very sought after.

• Advertisement

I’ve seen a few old Irish reg VW Rabbits appear on Donedeal etc over the years. I suppose it was common once upon a time for people who emigrated in the west in the 20s/30s/40s etc to move back home upon retirement, and evidently a few would have brought the kitchen sink, the car and everything else with them.

It’s a curious little thing but I doubt the Mayo/Galway climate has done it much good.

Last test expired 8 years ago, I guess it depends on your definition of recently :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Shame it's overpriced by about 1200 yo yo's. Start on her with the sander and you'll be doing a lot of sweeping. Atlantic 1 Toyota 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭welder

Gotta love the galvoband battery strap !

That said its cheap for a small rwd Toyota, look at what rwd Starlets, Corollas and even Carinas go for, some following over here for them all.

Would be even cooler with a 4age engine.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

welder wrote: »

That said its cheap for a small rwd Toyota, look at what rwd Starlets, Corollas and even Carinas go for, some following over here for them all.

It would be a brave soul who would take a sander to that yoke.....probably flake into a million pieces!

I dont think I would any of the words in that sentence here.
    Duke, I think you need some sort of help lad.

My college house mate ( a good 7 or 8 on the hotness scale ) had a serious issue whereby she would go weak at the knees for any fella in a cast or on crutches. Her need to "help" them or mother them was so strong. ( sprained my arm 4 times that year ;) )

Anyway, Duke I think you may suffer from the same affliction !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Long time no see you posting, man! How's your 2.6 going?

Good to see a friendly face!! It’s in a shed with a roof over its head! Realistically it needs a respray and prob 10k of recommissioning. If I thought they are making what the one above is I think is a realistic prospect!

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I dont think I would any of the words in that sentence here.
    Duke, I think you need some sort of help lad.

My college house mate ( a good 7 or 8 on the hotness scale ) had a serious issue whereby she would go weak at the knees for any fella in a cast or on crutches. Her need to "help" them or mother them was so strong. ( sprained my arm 4 times that year ;) )

Anyway, Duke I think you may suffer from the same affliction !

Doing what? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

welder wrote: »

Longditudinal engine but I'm fairly certain its FWD

KevRossi wrote: »

Nothing I presume. Just wrapping some bandages around it and pretend it was strained :D

• Advertisement

:D:D:D - genuine LOL ! thanks

Not a bad price for a Lightweight LR if it's genuine and if it all checks out. At least its on Irish plates.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/land-rover-lightweight/27093221?campaign=3

YTYwODg5YTVmYTJjMDExMDc2NjBkNWNkODljMTdiZTCb4CGvZJLXK9swJEugpK84aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjkyNzQyNzJ8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

NGVhNDliNjZkNzdlYjkyMGQ3MTA5YWU4MjVjMmI1OTZDhL89MunorjeWupvyX8h4aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjkyNzQyNzh8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

This is 9 years from being a classic and is a bit too pricey at €700 IMO, but would be a handy first car for a resto for a beginner, especially if you're learning to weld. Hasn't had a test since 2013, so there could be any number of things wrong with it. I always had a soft spot for little workhorses like this.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/skoda-felicia-pick-up/27131300

NzE2MzFjYmE0Y2VkNWNiZTgxODU1OTExMGNjYTNmZjb0iqJqueZx29XSx0nScl3taHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjk3MDkyMjR8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

This is 9 years from being a classic and is a bit too pricey at €700 IMO, but would be a handy first car for a resto for a beginner, especially if you're learning to weld. Hasn't had a test since 2013, so there could be any number of things wrong with it. I always had a soft spot for little workhorses like this.

NzE2MzFjYmE0Y2VkNWNiZTgxODU1OTExMGNjYTNmZjb0iqJqueZx29XSx0nScl3taHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjk3MDkyMjR8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg
    A grand little thing shame he let it get so bad, getting a back light could be tricky. Any commercial stuff climbs in value if looked after. There was a white 99 one knocking around here but I haven't seen it in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭passatman86

If the audi a2 is going to be a classic what do you think is the best one to have the petrol or diesel

Petrol. Diesels will be banned at some stage from all major urban areas, particularly older ones. Only a matter of time. Should have happened many years ago already.

Petrol. Diesels will be banned at some stage from all major urban areas, particularly older ones. Only a matter of time. Should have happened many years ago already.

Yawn.... Another day starts on bickering boards...

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Yawn.... Another day starts on bickering boards...

I just answered his question and gave the motivation for my answer. What is your contribution? :rolleyes:

I had an earlyer 91 Favorit pick up for a while. It has no radio as standard! 1.3 petrol, former Civil Defence

Drove it daily for a while, it was great and very handy to be able to just throw stuff in the back. Like all of them though the bed - especially around the shocks - just disintegrated before my eyes

• Advertisement

I just answered his question and gave the motivation for my answer. What is your contribution? :rolleyes:

Buy the best one he can afford don't worry about the fuel type and no, diesels won't be banned from everywhere, not when people are still burning half a forest each winter in a stove..

Advertisement