Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Love the CX that's a nice colour. Definite classic now. Citroen jamming the spare into the engine bay. You would think the engine heat might not be great for the tyre over a prolonged period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭john hanrahan

a popular place for spare tyres in the 70's/ 80's i had a few with the tyre in the engine bay a volvo 340 and fiat i27.

i think a few renault's had them there as well, you would think its not the best place for them, but there was always loads of room in the engine bay back then.

great looking CX

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    That Citroen is lovely, its times like this I wish I had a house in the country with a big shed to store cars. Well in fact I just wish I had a house :pac:
    When you have a house and a garage for one car, but have two classics then you start dreaming about a bigger garage. First world problems :)...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Two yellow Mk1s

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mk1-golf/14371438

MDQ5YzI2ODdkMGQ2NzI2M2Y5YzViZWM1NjM0OGM4N2TTNmcec1yN1FClLCj5sgPMaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NzUwMDAzNHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

And

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/vw-golf-gld-1500-diesel/14192318

ODkwZWVkMjZlZWIzNmZhZmRlYWZiMTYyM2FjMDc0ZTHhkRRFiqguXqAo09RN2tOkaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182ODMwOTEyOHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

The second one actually lives quite close to me. Mint is not quite the word for it. I've seen it parked up locally a few times and had a good look around, and it looks better than new.

Would love to know how much he wants for it

Passed the 83KY one on the N3 at blanchardstown earlier, broken down in the hard shoulder with its bonnet up, hopefully not someone from here taking it on a test drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 moryan1990

Thats my own one. Alternator belt snapped. New one on already, and all is well with the world again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

moryan1990 wrote: »
    Thats my own one. Alternator belt snapped. New one on already, and all is well with the world again.

Good stuff....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 miniireland

Good man Mo glad it wasn't anything too serious

MOD EDIT

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭MrRolex

MOD EDIT

Nice clean Golf GTI 16V. Always liked them in black. High price in my opinion, but I suppose excellent condition and mileage justifies it.
    Any thoughts?
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1989-volkswagen-mk2-golf-gti-16v-small-bumper/14056272

Nice car, good luck with the sale.
    Do you think it would pass an NCT test with the air suspension? Or would it need to be put back on shocks?
    I have heard some air suspension cars such as Lexus LS430's have problems with the NCT test equipment as they bounce around.
    Maybe it would be worth putting it back on the coilovers you have and putting an NCT on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 moryan1990

MrRolex wrote: »
    Nice car, good luck with the sale.
    Do you think it would pass an NCT test with the air suspension? Or would it need to be put back on shocks?
    I have heard some air suspension cars such as Lexus LS430's have problems with the NCT test equipment as they bounce around.
    Maybe it would be worth putting it back on the coilovers you have and putting an NCT on it?

Many friends of mine have passed test no problem with aftermarket air suspension, and also OEM air suspension (BMW 5 Series Touring comes with air suspension as standard in the rear).

Installing standard suspension is a 2 hour job max anyway if you wanted.

Many friends of mine have passed test no problem with aftermarket air suspension, and also OEM air suspension (BMW 5 Series Touring comes with air suspension as standard in the rear).

Installing standard suspension is a 2 hour job max anyway if you wanted.

Interesting. I wasn't aware the 5 series touring had it.
    To be honest, I prefer the MK2's to the MK1's. If I was going for a MK1 it would have to be OE spec and a GTI.
    No offence implied though, as I do like your yellow one; really eye catching.
    I know with classics opinion is divided, some prefer total OE spec, and some prefer modified. Personally I like a nice set of BBS RS on a classic for example.
    The BBS RA you have on it suit it, one of my favourite wheels.
    Well maybe put it through an NCT and see then? I always think its a good selling point, even a fail sheet gives a potential idea of work needed; so it isn't necessarily a negative. OK its 55 Euro, but it could get you the full 5K asking price if it passes.
    Anyway, best of luck with the sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Nice clean Golf GTI 16V. Always liked them in black. High price in my opinion, but I suppose excellent condition and mileage justifies it.
    Any thoughts?
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1989-volkswagen-mk2-golf-gti-16v-small-bumper/14056272

No NCT is a big turn off for me. Either it's been to the NCT and failed (if so, I'd like to see the fail sheet), or the seller wasn't bothered taking it there, which is odd as it's only €55, which is very little when you look at the overall costs of running that car.

There's a couple of non original parts like the radio and steering wheel that I'd like to see on a car of that price. Overall, it's too expensive IMO.

Red Kev wrote: »
    No NCT is a big turn off for me. Either it's been to the NCT and failed (if so, I'd like to see the fail sheet), or the seller wasn't bothered taking it there, which is odd as it's only €55, which is very little when you look at the overall costs of running that car.

There's a couple of non original parts like the radio and steering wheel that I'd like to see on a car of that price. Overall, it's too expensive IMO.

Agreed, for 6.4K I would want to be seeing 12 months NCT and at least 3 months tax. Or at the very least a fail sheet. You are right, 55 Euro is nothing to spend, considering the owner has spent thousands on the restoration.
    For me a fail sheet isn't a bad thing at all. I would rather see the seller is upfront and open about any work needed to be done. No NCT test often means the seller knows something major needs to be done; hence wanting to sell.
    I always ask myself, if this is so good; then why is he selling and not keeping it for himself. Sometimes its a genuine reason, like a baby on the way; or needing the funds for a wedding etc. But more often than not, its because the owner has run out of money, and the car needs something major.
    Also agree I prefer to see type 19's OE spec, and that means fully, down to the steering wheel and alloys. Granted the bottle tops that came on '89 16V's weren't as nice as BBS RA on the '90 spec, but they were OE nonetheless.
    I think overall its a clean car, but for 6.4K it needs that NCT plus put back to OE spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

I'm fairly sure that car doesn't need anything major. I know the car and owner. In this particular situation, I wouldn't let lack of NCT put me off.

MOD EDIT

MOD EDIT

PM sent

Ronan H wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure that car doesn't need anything major. I know the car and owner. In this particular situation, I wouldn't let lack of NCT put me off.

That mk2 is one of the best around

MOD EDIT

PM Sent

• Registered Users Posts: 65,375 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Thats my own one.

Lovely car! Any reason why it's never had an NCT though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭w124man

I love those Landcruisers! Had one years ago and was as reliable as they come.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/78-ford-cortina-525tds-running-gear/14382257

I like this, it would all come down to how well it was assembled

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Would love to know who's insuring that for €140. Looks a bit of a beastie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Dades wrote: »
    Would love to know who's insuring that for €140. Looks a bit of a beastie.

Insurance company not notified of mods?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/78-ford-cortina-525tds-running-gear/14382257

I like this, it would all come down to how well it was assembled

No photos of the work ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    Insurance company not notified of mods?

Is it not basically a kit car ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Tigger wrote: »
    Is it not basically a kit car ?

Heavily modified standard 1600 by the looks of it, still showing as a 1600 as well so presumably taxed and insured as same...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

I don't know it's not too bad for 15k for something rare enough and a viable classic in the uk. The steering sheel is manky though. Presume it's original, seems out of sych with the rest of the car.

Advertisement