Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    Insurance company not notified of mods?

jackie-stoned-laugh.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I don't know it's not too bad for 15k for something rare enough and a viable classic in the uk. The steering sheel is manky though. Presume it's original, seems out of sych with the rest of the car.

Some of that model are making a lot more but it all depends on the amount of work.
    That steering wheel is off something much more modern, maybe a 406 coupe.
    Crying out for a nice Nardi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Not much of a bargain though :pac:

If it's as good underneath as it is in the photos then it's an absolute bargain. They're making good money abroad.

Steering wheel isn't original, they offered either the standard plastic "safety" whell or a very elegant wooden one earlier in it's production run.

Gorgeous cars, very elegant and understated. The only car in the price category that comes close to it in terms of class is a Merc R107.

Incidentally our neighbours had a 1989 reg 504 pick up until about 5 years ago, it took 20 years of dogs abuse on a farm. Brilliant cars the 504, as was it's successor the 505.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Some nice stuff coming up in the Merlins auction:

http://www.merlin.ie/carlist/#/?saleId=2898&pageSize=10&sortBy=make_asc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭welton john

red sean wrote: »
    Some nice stuff coming up in the Merlins auction:

http://www.merlin.ie/carlist/#/?saleId=2898&pageSize=10&sortBy=make_asc

That fuego looks exceptional, for me it represents everything the French manufacturers were

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭MrRolex

I do like the look of this one.
    The E30 325i convertible was one of my favourite cars over the years.
    I wonder what this one will make?
    4-5K probably..
    http://www.merlin.ie/cardetails#/?saleId=2898&pageSize=10&sortBy=make_asc&page=2&page=2&id=347750&pagesize=10&no=2&totalcount=94

That fuego looks exceptional, for me it represents everything the French manufacturers were

Exceptional indeed.
    I remember seeing one brand new as a child and getting it mixed up with a Porsche 924 due to the domed rear window.
    I wonder if Renault were inspired by the 924 when they designed it?

ANy one going ?
    I'd like to see what some of these go for.
    Especially the 2002s

ANy one going ?
    I'd like to see what some of these go for.
    Especially the 2002s

Yes.
    See the thread here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057700159

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Very nice.. The only one of my cars that's currently drivable :o I bought from a chap in the midlands a couple years ago who had a mint Fuego in the garage. Not many about and even though Renaults normally wouldn't interest me a Fuego definitely would.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,376 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Fuego hasn't had an NCT in 14 years. Probably a showroom queen / museum car that's never driven.

unkel wrote: »
    Fuego hasn't had an NCT in 14 years. Probably a showroom queen / museum car that's never driven.

In fairness they can't really be driven in the damp or rain. Renault electrics and moisture aren't compatible.
    I can see some French lad has had it garaged all its life then probably died and the children have sold it on.
    Irish dealer sees profit and imports it. He isn't wrong. A fool and his money are easily parted.
    Its not as good as the Celtic Tiger, but the general rule of thumb in the classic market is; buy it in UK for SFA, pay 200 VRT and 500 to get it delivered on a transporter.
    Then add 3K to the price and sell it on Donedeal. Mug punter is happy, dealer is happy. Everyone's a winner.
    Repeat modus operandi ad infinitum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Miley from Glenroe did absolutely no harm to the sexy image of that Fuego....

(apologies to the under-40's who have no idea what that line means!! :cool: )

Miley from Glenroe did absolutely no harm to the sexy image of that Fuego....

(apologies to the under-40's who have no idea what that line means!! :cool: )

I am 40.
    What is Glenroe?
    Is it broadcast on the Church/State media propaganda channel?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

MrRolex wrote: »
    buy it in UK for SFA,
    These days with some sectors of the market because of daftly increasing insurance costs, namely the 90's examples, especially but not exclusively Japanese, that can go the other direction.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Thanks for the link, some nice cars there.

I like the Simca.

There is a slight contradiction in the description of that Fuego. In the remarks section it says imported but it is in fact "original Irish" carrying a 1986 Dublin reg.
    Of course it was imported in the literal sense!

Wibbs wrote: »
    These days with some sectors of the market because of daftly increasing insurance costs, namely the 90's examples, especially but not exclusively Japanese, that can go the other direction.

Agreed.
    Porsche's had their day in the sun during the Celtic Tiger, and even up until 5 years ago.
    But that bubble is over. Now the market is hungry for pre '87 W124's, E30's, MK2 Golf's.
    I have seen rotten UK ones sell on Ebay, then 2 weeks later they are on Donedeal still on UK plates selling for silly money.
    The sellers don't even bother paying the 200 VRT to put them on ZV plates.
    Why bother? When one can sell for silly money on UK plates and let the mug punter do the paperwork.
    Japanese cars seem to also have had their day. Its the perfect storm for devaluation, the insurance increase being the prime factor.
    I have a lad ringing me weekly for an E30 325i, he has gone from hungry to starving for it. That is the market these days. £2K on Ebay to 5K Euro on Donedeal.
    Its no wonder the ringers are hard at it. I think its only a matter of time before the ZV Td5 lot are clamped down on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭skibum

In fairness they can't really be driven in the damp or rain. Renault electrics and moisture aren't compatible.
    I can see some French lad has had it garaged all its life then probably died and the children have sold it on.
    Irish dealer sees profit and imports it. He isn't wrong. A fool and his money are easily parted.
    Its not as good as the Celtic Tiger, but the general rule of thumb in the classic market is; buy it in UK for SFA, pay 200 VRT and 500 to get it delivered on a transporter.
    Then add 3K to the price and sell it on Donedeal. Mug punter is happy, dealer is happy. Everyone's a winner.
    Repeat modus operandi ad infinitum.

Are you sure that it was some French lad's car that some irish arthur daley spotted for sale while on holidays? If it was a ZV reg I could see where you are coming from, but this Fuego is a ZS reg, according to Wikipedia it was registered in Ireland from July to December 1986...
    "ZS 1 to ZS 8709 (Jul – Dec 1986);"
    So even if it was originally imported, that was at least 30 odd years ago...

skibum wrote: »
    Are you sure that it was some French lad's car that some irish arthur daley spotted for sale while on holidays? If it was a ZV reg I could see where you are coming from, but this Fuego is a ZS reg, according to Wikipedia it was registered in Ireland from July to December 1986...
    "ZS 1 to ZS 8709 (Jul – Dec 1986);"
    So even if it was originally imported, that was at least 30 odd years ago...

I am not sure at all. Just speculating.
    Genuine Irish car it is then.

• Advertisement

The right wheels make all the difference.
    I reckon if this car had a set of BBS RA or RZ on it it would have sold long ago.
    Also amber indicators, and the original quad light grill would help.
    Shame as its a nice clean '90 spec other than that.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mk2-golf-gti-8v/13046621

Looking forward to viewing this one tomorrow.
    My wife needs something to replace her Bentley Turbo.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1972-mercedes-250ce-irish-registered-superb/14407663

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Looking forward to viewing this one tomorrow.
    My wife needs something to replace her Bentley Turbo.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1972-mercedes-250ce-irish-registered-superb/14407663

Every one of the photo's have been taken in the UK, and the 'irish' reg is hidden.

Be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

Agreed.
    Porsche's had their day in the sun during the Celtic Tiger, and even up until 5 years ago.
    But that bubble is over. Now the market is hungry for pre '87 W124's, E30's, MK2 Golf's.
    I have seen rotten UK ones sell on Ebay, then 2 weeks later they are on Donedeal still on UK plates selling for silly money.
    The sellers don't even bother paying the 200 VRT to put them on ZV plates.
    Why bother? When one can sell for silly money on UK plates and let the mug punter do the paperwork.
    Japanese cars seem to also have had their day. Its the perfect storm for devaluation, the insurance increase being the prime factor.
    I have a lad ringing me weekly for an E30 325i, he has gone from hungry to starving for it. That is the market these days. £2K on Ebay to 5K Euro on Donedeal.
    Its no wonder the ringers are hard at it. I think its only a matter of time before the ZV Td5 lot are clamped down on.
    To be fair on the E30s, very few are selling. The same handful are sitting on DoneDeal for ages. A good 325i Sport Tech 2 will get snapped up but everything else is sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Agreed.
    But that bubble is over.

The bubble has burst on 911's ?? You serious?

Look at the prices of Carrera, 930, 964 and especially 993 models. Even the old 912's are making crazy money, nit just here, but abroad as well. Look at prices in Germany; madness.

The bubble is just peaking, how long it'll last is anybodys guess.

Sorry, but you don't have much of an idea what you're on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Bus Boy

Red Kev wrote: »

Look at the prices of Carrera, 930, 964 and especially 993 models. Even the old 912's are making crazy money, nit just here, but abroad as well. Look at prices in Germany; madness.

Yep, the proverbial 'hen's teeth'. Just look at the UK websites and forums. Cannot be got for love nor money. Tatty 993's commanding £35k plus and tidy ones starting at £40k and up. 964's the same. Brexit may have slowed the rate they are appreciating but still a great investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,376 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's crazy as they haven't gone rare at all in recent decades. 60% of all Porsches ever made are still on the road and for aircooled 911s it's probably well over 80%. It's a good time to buy a decent Boxster 986 or a 911 (996) though, these have probably reached bottom prices. Only way is up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

+1 on the Boxsters. At or very close to rock bottom value wise.
    Red Kev wrote: »

+1000 Of all marques Porsches are hitting crazy money and high demand at the moment.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

millington wrote: »
    To be fair on the E30s, very few are selling. The same handful are sitting on DoneDeal for ages. A good 325i Sport Tech 2 will get snapped up but everything else is sitting.

Reason being no one wants the post '87 motor tax rates on 320i and 325i models. The lad in Waterford can't give them away.
    People are hungry for pre '87 ones though, but not the 316 or 318i though.
    Agreed the sports sell fast. I saw an '87 one sell for 7K and it was rotten.
    Even in the UK they are selling for 5-7K needing serious work such as welding or resprays.
    I have a lad ringing me every week asking for an '87 325i but I just can't find a 2 door one in the UK. They are all 4 door ones with lunar mileage, no history, clocked, or cat C or D write offs.
    Hard to find a straight M-tec one model for any money. I wouldn't mind one myself, finding it is the problem.
    Most people with a clean one won't sell for any money.

Advertisement