Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭MrRolex

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Boxsters are so so cheap its not even funny. If I had room I'd buy one and convert it to a race spec one and fire it into the Porsche series.

Agreed Boxsters are good bang for buck at the moment. The 2.5 and 2.7 are gutless though. Really one has to go for a 3.2 S model.
    Nice clean one here with only 47K on the clock for 6K. A lot of car for the money. Just a shame about the 1809 motor tax really.
    Poor man's alternative to a 996 image has stuck with them though, but if you don't mind that they are a good buy.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/porsche-boxster-3-2s/13994804

I like this one. Clean car, and worth 5.8K all day long.
    Just a shame it doesn't have the P slot alloys. MK1 alloys weren't the best looking (which the seller also has).
    Easy to find a set of clean BBS RA or P slots for 300 though so not a dealbreaker.
    I suppose one could get that for the abhorrent Ronals on it anyway.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/vw-golf-mk1/14354610

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

MrRolex wrote: »
    Agreed Boxsters are good bang for buck at the moment. The 2.5 and 2.7 are gutless though. Really one has to go for a 3.2 S model.
    Nice clean one here with only 47K on the clock for 6K. A lot of car for the money. Just a shame about the 1809 motor tax really.
    Poor man's alternative to a 996 image has stuck with them though, but if you don't mind that they are a good buy.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/porsche-boxster-3-2s/13994804

That Boxster has a UK reg plate, so pay VRT which will be another couple of grand. No word of an MOT, no sign of receipts or service book. 47,000 miles in 15 years? Not always a good thing.

Pics are crap, reg plate not visible so seller doesn't want a Cartell check, ad is fundamentally crap and somewhat dishonest. I wouldn't waste the 10 cents to call him.

MODEDIT: Last comment deleted. Play the ball, not the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,373 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Red Kev wrote: »
    47,000 miles in 15 years? Not always a good thing.

That's putting it very mildly. Anyone who knows anything about the M96 engine knows the last thing you want is a low miler. Unless the car was raced regularly. I'm not joking.

I am speaking from my own opinion having driven the 2.5, 2.7, 3.2.
    Anyone that has also done the same will concur with my opinion. Its no secret the 2.5 is gutless. Too much weight for that engine.
    The 3.2 is the right size for the weight.
    But I will agree that a higher mileage 3.2 is better (with full history and correct servicing), than a low miler with little or none.
    Its a given that low milers that have been used for short trips get coked up etc. A moot point that isn't worth mentioning really.

• Advertisement

You know, I could say this 3.2 Boxster is a load of *****. And people would still go against my opinion just for the sake of it.

MOD: Keep the language clean please and that includes using characters to bypass the swear filter.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Take a break lads. I'm not going to spend my night refereeing.

I really like this one. Lovely colour. Great styling too.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/hillman-imp-sport/14643083

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I really like this one. Lovely colour. Great styling too.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/hillman-imp-sport/14643083
    I can never understand people who post one picture of something they're hoping to sell. Is there something being hidden or is it just lazy advertising?
    The answer for me is 'keep away'!

red sean wrote: »
    I can never understand people who post one picture of something they're hoping to sell. Is there something being hidden or is it just lazy advertising?

Well some of the old boys that own these classics aren't PC literate. They will ask their son or friend etc to put an ad up as they don't know how to upload pictures etc. Another thing is, some do it deliberately; the thinking being it will encourage a genuine buyer to come and look in person.
    It's like all the POA merchants, they just want to generate more calls asking how much is it?
    Agreed, though; sometimes it's just a case of laziness. Or someone doesn't really want to sell it at all. But a poor ad gets their nagging wife off their case about getting rid of it.
    Personally I like to see the max 10 pictures allowed used, and including interior, exterior, service history/invoices. This is what I do myself when selling.
    But at the end of the day, one picture or ten pictures; if a man wants that car he will come and buy it all the same.
    For example, I had an ad on Ebay and a lad hit the buy it now within 5 minutes of me listing it (with one picture). It started to pour down when I was taking them, so I just put the one up for starters to get the ad live.
    Before I even had them uploaded he had sent me the Paypal.
    Mad isn't it? But that's people for you.
    Funny thing is, when he came to collect it; he never even opened the bonnet to check the engine! He just got in it and drove off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭JKerova1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

JKerova1 wrote: »

Is that a locking rear diff button? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

That's a real nice motor, fair price too.

Nice indeed.
    Worth paying the full fat tax for the next 4 years.
    Its just on the cusp of being a classic, and at 1K its a good car.
    Nice VDO gauges and quattro features.
    OK the 2.0 litre isn't that exciting, but its a very reliable and tough car.
    Galvanised so rust isn't a problem either.

Lovely Audi 80 here. Eye catching mustard colour too. I like everything about it. I wonder what the 1.3 engine would be like to drive though? I suppose it's a light enough car though, nice minimalist spec. No NCT needed either, very nice.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/audi-80-l/13618866

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Bus Boy

As we speak a 993 911 Turbo Cabrio has just sold at Sotheby's for €1.2 million, air-cooled porsches must be in free fall :-).

Ever see one of these?
    I always liked the W124 500E and fancied one even though they are LHD. But one is looking at 20K for a '92 one, and then 1809 motor tax, plus heavy VRT. I wish it was 2022 though so I could import one of these at 200 VRT and 56 Euro motor tax. I didn't realise they also did a 400E and 420E in Germany. I think a 4.0 litre V8 in a W124 would sound and drive really well!
    Shame they didn't make any in 1987 or I would fly straight over to Germany and drive one back.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Mercedes-Benz-400-E-W124-Motor-M119/351672814525?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140117125630%26meid%3Df5ccba2be81340d5b189d643cab6d875%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D322390515157

And here is a 420E, a lot of car for 6K. OK it's not handbuilt by Porsche like the 500E was, but a 4.2 V8 is going to be close in performance.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Mercedes-Benz-E-420-/351954887882?hash=item51f22564ca:g:vhkAAOSwA3dYdi7I

Interesting digital dash on this W126. I owned a 1988 500 SEL in the same Masons black in England. Electric rear blind, electric reclining rear seat. Full diplomat/dictator/mafia/Uday Hussein spec. £96K new. I never saw a digital dash like this one in a W126 though. This one is just run it at 459,000 KM on the clock! I am tempted to buy another 500 SEL. 56 Euro tax for a 5.0 litre V8. Lovely sound from the engine, and the gearbox is like one long gear in them. Silky smooth gear changes. For a big car they handle really well.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Mercedes-Benz-500-SEL-Leder-Klima-/351920130567?hash=item51f0130a07:g:1iwAAOSwnHZYmZiu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

The 500E was not exactly handbuilt by Porsche. The unpainted chassis was delivered there and everything from the firewall forward was modified there. No other parts. The car was then taken back to Mercedes for painting and construction. Porsche were about to collapse financially and it was done partly as a favour and partly because Mercedes had no extra capacity to do the work.

Odd that you didn't know the 400/420 existed, as it's actually faster than the 500 in top speed thanks to a different diff. Mostly sold in the US and Japan, very few were sold in Germany.

Only the 420 has a German NCT. It's for sale by a dealer on behalf of a customer and the dealer doesn't have a good rep.

The 400 is in Bremerhaven port, it has a US plate so probably needs European paperwork done, along with NCt and possibly VAT and port charges on top of that. You probably wouldn't be let out of the port unless it's on a trailer.

Both of those cars are €3-4000 (more like €5-6000 below the minimum price of a typical car for a very good reason. You should have spotted that as a dealer.

The "digital dash" on the W126 is a bog standard trip computer. It also has no NCT/TUV.

Red Kev wrote: »
    The 500E was not exactly handbuilt by Porsche. The unpainted chassis was delivered there and everything from the firewall forward was modified there. No other parts. The car was then taken back to Mercedes for painting and construction. Porsche were about to collapse financially and it was done partly as a favour and partly because Mercedes had no extra capacity to do the work.

Odd that you didn't know the 400/420 existed, as it's actually faster than the 500 in top speed thanks to a different diff. Mostly sold in the US and Japan, very few were sold in Germany.

Only the 420 has a German NCT. It's for sale by a dealer on behalf of a customer and the dealer doesn't have a good rep.

The 400 is in Bremerhaven port, it has a US plate so probably needs European paperwork done, along with NCt and possibly VAT and port charges on top of that. You probably wouldn't be let out of the port unless it's on a trailer.

Both of those cars are €3-4000 (more like €5-6000 below the minimum price of a typical car for a very good reason. You should have spotted that as a dealer.

The "digital dash" on the W126 is a bog standard trip computer. It also has no NCT/TUV.

Thank you.
    Added you to my ignore list.
    No offence implied.

• Advertisement

Bus Boy wrote: »
    As we speak a 993 911 Turbo Cabrio has just sold at Sotheby's for €1.2 million, air-cooled porsches must be in free fall :-).

Rare car indeed.
    I would say the most likely buyer is the Sultan of Brunei.
    http://www.rmsothebys.com/pa17/paris/lots/1995-porsche-911-turbo-cabriolet/1701537

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Thank you.
    Added you to my ignore list.
    No offence implied.

Telling people you've added them to your ignore list, particularly for no discernible reason, is borderline trolling. Your name is appearing on my radar far too often for my liking lately, so you either start playing nicely and by our rules here, or you'll find yourself sitebanned and looking for another site to troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

red sean wrote: »

Regardless of the number of pictures if one is interested enough in the car they will come to see it so fewer can be better

Sometimes 10 photos will still have time wasters arriving to view it anyway plus the chassis which is rarely photoed is the part that is most needed to be shown .

Regardless of the number of pictures if one is interested enough in the car they will come to see it so fewer can be better

Sometimes 10 photos will still have time wasters arriving to view it anyway plus the chassis which is rarely photoed is the part that is most needed to be shown .

Agreed. You make a great point. The first side of a car I look at when I view it is underneath. If a seller has an underbody picture of the car on a lift it fills me with confidence before I even call him to arrange a viewing.
    Rust and corrosion are the common reasons classics fail an NCT, so it's the most important picture of them all.

I like this one. At 250K on the clock it's just run in. 500K is nothing on these engines.
    200 Euro VRT, 56 Euro tax. And diesel economy.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/vintage-w124-mercedes-diesel-automatic/14654490

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭w124man

OK it's not handbuilt by Porsche like the 500E was, but a 4.2 V8 is going to be close in performance.

The E500 / 500E was not hand built by Porsche. 70% of the car was built on the same production lines as all the other 124's built in Germany.

w124man wrote: »
    The E500 / 500E was not hand built by Porsche. 70% of the car was built on the same production lines as all the other 124's built in Germany.

OK.
    So 30% of the 500E was built by Porsche (not by hand though).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭w124man

OK.
    So 30% of the 500E was built by Porsche (not by hand though).

I know the 126 series as well !

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭PaulK_CCI

irrespective of where wat part was built, the question is would it be an Irish bargain that you're not buying ... 
    would you NOT buy this one for 11,900 euro
    $_20.jpg
    or NOT this one for 99,500 euro!!!!!! (and that's NOT a typo :))
    0304498936001.jpg?57561a84380772a1503c5032fc0adf94

• Advertisement

Lovely flared arches on the 500E, nice find for 12K too.
    I actually wondered if it was viable to buy a mint 300E and 500 SEL then have the engine fitted?
    I saw it done in this W123 with the engine from a 500 SEC; so it can be done.
    On balance I think I would prefer the 56 Euro motor tax of the W123, rather than the 1809 Euro of the W124!
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MERCEDES-W123-280-CEW-CE-AUTO-SILVER-5-0-V8-engine-running-gear-500-SEC-/182446780400?hash=item2a7aaceff0:g:WYwAAOSw6DtYWDP~

Advertisement